PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Cooling vs. Raw Water Cooling and...

SouthernExposure
02-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a 1989 23' Donzi Regazza that has been out of the water more than in. Learned a lesson. Anyway, I need to replace my engine and I had a thought. While installing my new engine would a fresh water cooling system help with the life of my engine. Is a fresh water cooling system an option on Donzi's or are they an aftermarket thought?

Also, what is truly the difference between an automotive engine and a marine engine other than the fuel pump, carb., electrical system, water pump, and head and intake gaskets?

Any thoughts would be great.

SE

MOP
02-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Fresh water cooling has definite advantages, minimizes or eliminates damage to the blocks inerds, increases perforance a little. I would install it! There are some important changes in marine engines, pistons, bearing material and cam shafts. Car engines will die an early death!

Dax McDavid
02-18-2004, 09:02 AM
My Dad and I have freshwater cooling systems on both our Donzi's. I put mine on as aftermarket part, his came on the boat from Donzi. I don't know if it was by request. They will save your engine but if you run in saltwater a lot be sure to check for leaking gaskets and plan on replacing manifolds in a couple or few years.

MOP
02-18-2004, 09:56 AM
If you go to a full system including manifolds you will save bucks in the long run and if you use S/S risers that will end any exhaust system parts replacement.

Dax McDavid
02-18-2004, 10:35 AM
thats a good idea. How much does the S/S risers cost ? and or manifolds ?
does it give you any performance advantage ? :D

MOP
02-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Depends on pocket depth! If you want real good HP big bucks if its just reliability that can be done on the cheap.
You have options, you can go for a decent set of performance risers that will add some HP or find stock Merc S/S risers. There several verieties on Ebay right now, I grab the stock Mercs every chance I get and re-sell them, they have a bigger exhaust outlet so they should also give a slight boost. Manifolds are another whole story, from stock to exotic. Rough $450 to $1,800, Ford stuff is a bit limited but there is some good things out there I have one Merc S/S riser set extra right now that I would part with. Drop Moody Blu a note I think he found some good stuff for the 351.

Phil