PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Flow Meter (great for people who think boats run on thanks, not gas)

Mike Ellison
02-17-2004, 10:25 PM
STANDARD FF-41 FUEL FLOW- SINGLE ENGINE ONLY $191.44

How much fuel do we have left? How much fuel have we burned? Do we have enough fuel to get back? These are common questions asked by most power boaters with outboards or I/O engines. Horizon introduces a low cost solution to this problem. The FF41 is a 2'' round dash mount instrument that matches most boats existing 2'' round instruments. The FF41 offers a simple transducer installation that almost anybody can install. The FF41 provides the operator with all the necessary fuel information to insure he has enough fuel to make it to his destination and back home again. The FF41 registers current fuel flow, fuel remaining, and total fuel burned on a trip (displayed in U.S. gallons or liters). This unit also has a unique Low Fuel Alarm that allows the user to program a minimum fuel requirement to insure you will make it back. The FF41 is covered the by Horizon's 1-year warranty. If your FF41 fails for any reason during the first year simply return it to the dealer or Horizon service center and Standard will repair or replace it at no charge. Fuel flow 0.5 - 43 U.S. gallons per hour.

MOP
02-18-2004, 07:33 AM
I have always thought them to be a good addition especially for the cruisers, my question is have they gotten less restrictive then the older models. Tech reps in the past have blamed them for causing a lean condition on certain apps. I have heard guys say don't run them on high performance engines. The one posted looks as if it will flow enough even for the most hungry setup with 43gph top flow. I think they are slick and would consider running one. Any input would be great.

JimG
02-18-2004, 08:30 AM
The FF41 is the same the Navman Power Fuel. I've used them for years. Now I have the combination GPS/Flowmeter that uses the same fuel transducer. Very nice units, good prices. Online Marine has it for $153.

http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online_superstore/electronics/instruments/navman_f41_fuel.htm?E+scstore

MOP
02-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Suitable for carbureted 2- stroke engines from 50-300hp carbureted 4-stroke engines from 90- 300hp. Minimum flow rate 5 litres (1.3 US gallons) per hour"

The 300HP for carbed 4 stroke leads me to think they may still be restrictive and not a good item on high performance apps, fine for cruise but not WOT.

Fish boy
02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
great info guys. I have been eyeballing feul flow meters and this my next purchase. These are about half the price of the flo-scan i was looking at.

Mike, any experience with the standard, and do you have a link?

Jim, any problems with the navman?

thanks,

fish

JimG
02-18-2004, 07:27 PM
I've owned both... they are the same manufacturer. Different name. Navman can usually be had cheaper, don't know why.

Cuda
02-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Where and how is the transducer mounted?

Mike Ellison
02-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Fish boy,

I've never used one, but think it would be a great addition to any boat.

Attached is one link:

http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online_superstore/electronics/instruments/standard_ff41_fuel_flow.htm?L+scstore+mkmy2357ff5f 395f+1077178434

Fish boy
02-18-2004, 10:14 PM
mike,
thanks, I appreciate the link.

Cuda,
I have not installed one, but my understanding is that the transducer is an aparatus that is mounted inline in the fuel hose between the tank and the motor. I read where it is recomended to place it after the fuel filter if possible to prevent particulate matter from adversly effecting the transducer (or placing a second filter inline ahead of the transducer).

fish

JimG
02-19-2004, 06:51 AM
It's mounted in the fuel line, just like a filter.

Fish boy
02-19-2004, 08:17 AM
here is what it looks like mounted...

Team Jefe
02-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Guys - I have a Flo-Scan on Jefe's Revenge and would not leave the dock without it. Being as I'm Hell-and-gone from a Texaco most of the time, I need to have very accruate fuel consumption info.

JimG
02-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Guys - I have a Flo-Scan on Jefe's Revenge and would not leave the dock without it. Being as I'm Hell-and-gone from a Texaco most of the time, I need to have very accruate fuel consumption info.

And I've seen that sucker PEGGED!!

Here's to hoping the new Ficht's get better mileage! :jestera: