PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Pinstripe

Greg Maier
02-16-2004, 07:50 PM
This Spring, I am planning on wetsanding my stripe and sides. I also plan on putting on new pinstripe tape. My question is, how do you apply the pinstripe tape in a straight line? I've seen some magnetic pinstripe guides for cars, but I don't think they would work on the fiberglass (for obvious reasons). Does anybody have any experience or suggestions? :confused:

olredalert
02-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Greg,

------If you feel like you cant pull the tape straight enough by eye buy a roll of two inch masking-tape and put that down for an edge for the pin-striping tape. You will use a bit of two inch tape but its hard NOT to put it down straight,so it should suit your purpose.............Bill S

MOP
02-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Another way to guide yourself is to use a kids compass, spread it to the distance you want, put a #1 lead pencil in it as it requires less sharpening to keep it fine pointed, on a 22-25 foot boat you have to sharpen several times. I put tape on the metal point and bend it up so as to not inadvertently scratch anything while sliding it along using the side of the point as the guide to slide along the chine, deck edge or rub rail. As long as you keep it level and move slow use two hands, you can draw a very nice line that you can rub off later after you lay on the stripe next to it.

MOP

BUIZILLA
02-17-2004, 09:53 AM
I just did the red pinstripe on the Crit myself. 30 minutes for the whole boat with 3M product. Have ONE beer first to relax you ;) , then go for it.

J :wavey:

mikev
02-17-2004, 11:20 AM
it is pretty easy just stick it down at one end and unroll the tape the length you need keep it pulled tight and just slowly lay it down the side of the boat.

Barry Phillips
02-19-2004, 09:28 AM
I use masking tape as a guide for everything on my boat as well as a soft tap measure, numbers included. I Just used the angle of the windshield, which I intersected with 1 half tap below the rub rail and it came out great, since I did not want my numbers to far foward. I would suggest when your ready just make a pencil mark at a measured point from your strip every 12" or so, lay down the masking tape on your marks and than run the accent strip along side your tape reference. The masking tape will give you a chance to stand back and eyeball it to make sure you did it right. I would be concerned about nicking your hard work with a compass point, and with the tape measure you can find the center line for your tape. An old art trick is to render sharp pencil lines on a piece of traceing paper at 3 points, 2 at the inside and outside edge of the final strip and 1 on the centerline. This method is faster than constant measuring and your marks are always the same, again just make a tick every 12"s or so and lay down your guide tape on the outside reference.

I have heard that Donzi uses the tap to hide imperfections in the edge of the stripe, is this true? Even my 18 which had a black boot strip, had a black accent strip. My 22 has a red boot strip with a black accent strip which I really hate, it looks like electrical tap. I saw a 22 just like mine with no accent strip at all and I thought it looked cleaner. I am also thinking of pewter or silver, I think either would look good with red.