PDA

View Full Version : Broken Skeg

RedlineFever56
02-15-2004, 09:52 AM
I broke 50% of the skeg off my 22ZX. I replaced it with a skeg guard. Dose anyone have any experience with these? Will contact between 2 diffirent metals cause a problem? It actually seems to handle better on high speed turns with the extra fin on the bottem. It seems to have less chance of hooking up and spinning out. Here's a picture of it. All feedback is appreciated.
Thanx
Ken

gcarter
02-15-2004, 10:53 AM
I am allways seing replacement skegs on eBay, to be welded on. Of course, welding aluminum is allways interesting.

George Carter

MOP
02-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Aluminum and S/S are pretty friendly, what helps though is to make sure the screws bite good into the aluminum. It is a good idea to put it in place drill for the hardware then remove it brighten the metal around each hole about 3/8" out from each hole both sides for good electrical contact then apply silicone to the brightened areas and inside the holes, when you tighten things up it will make contact through the silicone this will help to eliminate corrosion. You will have to clean the threads after insertion to make the Loc Tite work properly. Being as yours is already installed you most likely do not want to take it apart, so just check it with an OHM meter from time to time for continuity, if it starts to lose contact then do it over. Many of my customers have also commented on it seemed to feel better than before, I would not hesitate to use one.

Phil

RedlineFever56
02-16-2004, 05:18 AM
Aluminum and S/S are pretty friendly, what helps though is to make sure the screws bite good into the aluminum. It is a good idea to put it in place drill for the hardware then remove it brighten the metal around each hole about 3/8" out from each hole both sides for good electrical contact then apply silicone to the brightened areas and inside the holes, when you tighten things up it will make contact through the silicone this will help to eliminate corrosion. You will have to clean the threads after insertion to make the Loc Tite work properly. Being as yours is already installed you most likely do not want to take it apart, so just check it with an OHM meter from time to time for continuity, if it starts to lose contact then do it over. Many of my customers have also commented on it seemed to feel better than before, I would not hesitate to use one.

Phil
Thanx 4 the information, it's been helpfull!!