PDA

View Full Version : Flooring??

florida gator
02-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Oops, my bad. I posted this question several months back and had some great responses and saved the link in my favorites. Now the link doesn't work. Hopefully whoever posted the suggestion of calling for remnants will see this and reenter the number and company. I promise this time I will call right away. I hope to replace the carpet before boatng sason is back.

MOP
02-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Oops, my bad. I posted this question several months back and had some great responses and saved the link in my favorites. Now the link doesn't work. Hopefully whoever posted the suggestion of calling for remnants will see this and reenter the number and company. I promise this time I will call right away. I hope to replace the carpet before boatng sason is back.

I am not sure if i caught your last post! But if you want anything to do with the interior find the contact for Built Rite. Not only do they have most anything you want it is the best.

Phil

florida gator
02-16-2004, 02:20 PM
I can try built rite. But, it's not what I was looking for. I believe the number posted before was to a manufacturer of a type of non skid flooring. It seemed perfect for me because I don't need much.

gold-n-rod
02-16-2004, 02:47 PM
I can try built rite. But, it's not what I was looking for. I believe the number posted before was to a manufacturer of a type of non skid flooring. It seemed perfect for me because I don't need much.

Yes, the original poster gave a website and suggested to look for the "clearance items" link. There, one could find some real deals on small amounts, IIRC. I've tried various key words in the search function to find the original posting, without luck.

I have a site book marked at home, but it's not the same place. I'll post the link when I get home. They sell the commercial flooring with the dime-sized raised dots, if you know what I mean.

HTH,

goldnrod24

Forrest
02-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Gator, I couldn't find the post, but here is a copy of what I posted awhile back:

Hay, I found the deal on small quantities of Pirelli ACTiVA Rubber Flooring. This is same stuff used by a number of offshore performance boat-builders.

Call the PRF Group at (201) 804-5565 an ask them to fax you their close-out list. On the list you will find all types and colors of Pirelli flooring material available at the time you call in small quantities for as little as 90-cents a square-foot to no more than $2.25 a square-foot. I've had local dealer quote me as much as $8 a foot on the stuff in small quanties.

Once you have their close-out list, go to the PRF Group web site at:

http://www.rubberfloors.com/products/activa-rf.htm

and view the colors and styles available and then place your order.

I bought 108.6 square-feet (40 perfect tiles) of Classic BR (the standard stuff with the raised dots) for $96.84 ($0.90 sq-ft) plus UPS shipping (100 lbs) from Carlstadt, NJ.

Also, their recommended adhesive is a two part solvent-free epoxy which may to too permanent for application over gel-coated fiberglass floors. In this case, you may want to consider a contact type adhesive.

florida gator
02-16-2004, 08:47 PM
BINGO!!!!

That's exactly what the last post said Forrest. I knew it was a regular that posted it. I saved the link and viewed it fairly recently and it was still there. It just recently dissapeared. I'm writing it down this time.

Thanks again
James

MOP
02-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Another thought that I have found is Rhino liner will shoot thier product on decks in just about any color you want. They garentee it just like the truck bodies. I did my Dakota years back, hauls motors, cinder blocks you name it, it still looks new and show of no damage. I have been talking with my local rep about shooting the tub bottom in the 22 said no prob if I prep $150. The prep consists of light sanding to break glaze and cleaning marking where I want it, the floor and risers under dash he does the masking. Its real easy on your feet and non skid. May be a consideration for you application.

Phil

florida gator
02-17-2004, 08:46 PM
That is something I have considered. I spoke with a friend who does the bedliners. My only concern is that it doesn't have th "polished" look fitting a Donzi. I caed Perrelli today for there closeout list. I haven't been back to the office yet to check the fax but, the person was very polite and said he would get it right out to me.

MOP
02-17-2004, 09:25 PM
They have a really good color chart, he says the lighter colors don't chalk like the bed liner black. Says he can mix to get a very close match my blue on the hull, I am thinking more of matching the egg shell color of the tub. Still cold and going to snow soon again have time to sort my thoughts.

gold-n-rod
02-18-2004, 10:00 PM
I called to get the closeout list and had a very nice chat with a woman there. She was quite distressed to hear that I was considering their product for marine use. She said they never recommend it for exterior use. Supposedly the product has no protection against UV exposure and is expected to fade fast in outdoor installations.

Nice folks, I appreciated her honesty. I may be back to square one. :confused:

goldnrod

Cuda
02-19-2004, 01:59 AM
I am thinking of doing inside the cabin of my 302 with this epoxy flooring that I sell for commercial use. If I don't like it, I can always carpet back over it.

I used it on this little "shower pan" that I built at a hospital. It is under a machine they use to develope x rays or something. The chemicals from the developer kept ruining the flooring they had and getting under the walls and rotting them out too. The hospital hasn't called back so I assume it is holding up fine. There is an additive to put in it to run it vertically.

Donzigo
02-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Cuda, that's pretty cool stuff. Do you think it wold withstand chemicals of an engine room. It would look cool beneath an engine.

........is there anyone in the house with a Donzi Minx we could try it on?

Cuda
02-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Cuda, that's pretty cool stuff. Do you think it wold withstand chemicals of an engine room. It would look cool beneath an engine.

........is there anyone in the house with a Donzi Minx we could try it on?

I'm sure the chemicals wouldn't hurt it, that's why we used it in the hospital. The only problem with it, is the fact that uv rays (sunlight) causes the epoxy to amber. It doesn't weaken it, it just discolors.

Here's the link to the maufacatorer. http://www.hitechflooring.com/index.html

gold-n-rod
02-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Here's a little update for y'all. I ended up placing a small order with the folks at PRF USA. Linda is very helpful and patient.

They will not split full boxes, but they have some items by the piece. She advised me against installation in areas exposed to the sun, so colors are out, but grey, if it fades, it will fade to grey. I was able to get a partial box of the HP TopFloor stuff in grey. This is their top of the line product with the high gloss finish built in. I needed 6 pieces for only the center strip of my floor (28" x 72") but I bought all 16 pieces in case I decide to do the entire cockpit. At $1.50./sq. ft., I couldn't say no. Shipping and all, my order was $80.

Also, the items on the clearance list go fast, so don't let too much time pass or your list is worthless and you've missed good buys.

Great folks to deal with. I'll keep you posted with my progress.

goldnrod

gold-n-rod
02-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Here's a little update for y'all. I ended up placing a small order with the folks at PRF USA. Linda is very helpful and patient.

They will not split full boxes, but they have some items by the piece. She advised me against installation in areas exposed to the sun, so colors are out, but grey, if it fades, it will fade to grey. I was able to get a partial box of the HP TopFloor stuff in grey. This is their top of the line product with the high gloss finish built in. I needed 6 pieces for only the center strip of my floor (28" x 72") but I bought all 16 pieces in case I decide to do the entire cockpit. At $1.50./sq. ft., I couldn't say no. Shipping and all, my order was $80.

Also, the items on the clearance list go fast, so don't let too much time pass or your list is worthless and you've missed good buys.

Great folks to deal with. I'll keep you posted with my progress.

goldnrod

My order came today and this stuff is top notch. Very high quality and at $1.50/sq ft., it's a steal. I am going to be glueing mine down to a completely flat plywood floor and it should be killer. I really can't see how it would work on fiberglass or a molded liner though. The gray color is exactly the color of the carpet I'm replacing. I'll take pics of the install if anyone cares.

goldnrod, happy camper today! :)

Forrest
02-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Yea, that's a heck of good deal isn't it. I also ordered and installed the gray tiles in my Magnum and they look great. I ended up using the recommended epoxy based adhesive to stick them down to a new marine-plywood floor, and used a heavy-duty spray contact cement for a vertical applications. The epoxy has very little adhesive power when wet and for that reason cannot be used in a non-horizontal application. To cut the stuff, use a very sharp (new) blade and a steel straight-edge and clamp the whole works to a smooth piece of ply-wood to keep anything from moving while making the cut. It's relatively easy to get good results.

Cuda
02-27-2004, 04:57 PM
The reason epoxy won't work on vertical is because it is a liquid, it will run down the sides, albeit slowly. We work with epoxy flooring and grout.

florida gator
02-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Yea, that's a heck of good deal isn't it. I also ordered and installed the gray tiles in my Magnum and they look great. I ended up using the recommended epoxy based adhesive to stick them down to a new marine-plywood floor,

You idn't glass in the floor? If this will go right over plywood, it will spare me having to get my floor glassed. Is it better over the wood or fiberglass? How difficult is it to install?

Forrest
03-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Naaaa, I didn't glass in the floor. I'm not sure how it was done originally at the Magnum factory back then ('72) but the plywood floor that I replaced was not glassed in either - it was just somthing like painted CDX plywood that had rotted in areas because of the old carpeting holding water. I went back with 3/4" marine plywood and used a lot of #14 screws to hold it down prior to glueing down the Pirelli.