PDA

View Full Version : Some Interesting Donzi's in Sweden...

Craig
02-13-2004, 10:15 AM
Here's some interesting finds I came across while surfing.

The site is from Sweden and one of these boats was on the Donzi page before. Thought you'd all find them interesting...

First, an awesome 16' (this is the one that was on here before - looks perfect!):

http://www.boatshop24.com/web/en/suchen/m/index.htm?showid=1214171&MODELL=Donzi&SORTIERUNG=1&lastshow=0&anzahlgesamt=6

Second, another 16 - notice anything unusual about this one?

http://www.boatshop24.com/web/en/suchen/m/index.htm?showid=1226610&MODELL=Donzi&SORTIERUNG=1&lastshow=0&anzahlgesamt=6

Finally, a nice Z-24

http://www.boatshop24.com/web/en/suchen/m/index.htm?showid=1222342&MODELL=Donzi&SORTIERUNG=1&lastshow=0&anzahlgesamt=6

There was also an 18' DONZI on here a while back and there's another 16' (see site again - http://www.boatshop24.com/web/en/suchen/m/index.htm?showid=1198038&MODELL=Donzi&SORTIERUNG=1&lastshow=0&anzahlgesamt=6).

Both of these have odd windshields. I've never seen any like them in the U.S.

The 18' had something else I'd never seen before or even knew existed, a BMW outdrive! Bizzarre!!

Have some pics of the BMW equipped 18' even though it's now gone from the site. Need to get up to speed on how we post pics here now. Haven't been paying attention much since the changes.

Check out the prices! Kinda up there. For example, the one 16' priced at $16,430.00 EUR dollars equates to something like $20,900.00 U.S. dollars (I think)!!

Others are proportionally similar.

Thought you guys would enjoy the oddities of these boats.

olredalert
02-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Craig,

-------Looks like you shipped your Cobalt across the pond!.............Bill S......DONZI detective

Lenny
02-13-2004, 10:50 AM
That 16 looks like the Cobalt rendition for sure. The second one (red) has a high waterline stripe, about 4" higher and interesting venting. As well, it must be the OLDEST DONZI ever built as it is a '62. As for BMW I/O's, we had a LOT of them around here in 1979-1982. Here we saw them outfitted on Glas-Ply boats, manufactured in Northern Washington I believe. I remember looking at them but finally bought an outboard version of one of their boats and threw a Merc 115 on it.

http://www.bmwmarine.net/dotorg/D150__Z_drive_Africa_lower_res2_.jpg

That is the leg for a BMW B130/B190/B220. They offered 4 (130) and 6 cylinder packages (B190, B220) , the 6 cylinders having the "reverse rotation" option.

Also, during (for) Expo 86 in Vancouver, Fairline made a dozen 32 footers and all had BMW outdrives.

Craig
02-13-2004, 10:54 AM
olredalert,

You guessed it on the one boat! I saw it and recognized the different side stripe. Other things funny about that one -- calls it a 1996? The gages and hardware are older types. It is a Cobalt that someone has changed decals on. Has to actually be something like a 1969. Looks to have a newer Volvo engine and drive though.

The funny thing is, I inqured about the boat and they sent some more info. and pics. In those pics, it's the same boat, same trailer, etc. but with a green deck and white strip (i.e. the deck's now been painted) AND the Cobalt lettering is still on it. So now it says DONZI on the side. Oops! "Whoever's" up to "whatever" should have painted the sides too! Every Cobalt I've located has the same side stripe, regardless of the deck color flip flops.

Can't be sure the current seller made the changes.

I wrote and told him what I knew about the boats (also attached pics of the handful I've located).

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I said he may want to consider putting the old stickers back on. So far, no reply. I'm not sure he speaks English, so he might have to get my e-mails interpreted.

It'll be interesting to see if he replies and how.

Looked at the pics I have of the BMW equipped 18' again (mentioned above). One has the hatch open -- I think the engine and everything is a BMW! Looks like a 4 banger (at least it's smaller than a V8.

Craig
02-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Ooooo!! Just looked again. The 18' I spoke of is also a barrel back! So busy gauking at the funny BMW outdrive I didn't notice at first. Cool!

I gotta get some pics up of that 18'; it's wierd (in a cool way)!

Craig
02-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Lenny, Never commented on your addition of the BMW outdrive pic. Thanks! Yep, thats the one.

I'm gonna try to attach some pic of the 18' with that drive, the funny windshield, and barrellback (also, now that I look at it -- funny seats, funny stripe).

Still kinda cool! I actually like the windshield!

Lenny
02-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Craig, if you haven't already seen (and you don't already have it) I think you need it... :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38632&item=2460146612

Craig
02-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Okay, now that I know how to post pics again -- here's a few befores and afters of the 1969 16' Cobalt he's selling as a 1996 Donzi.
Notice, even in the one "before" shot a Red Cross Donzi sticker was on it where the old Cobalt logo shield should be.

olredalert
02-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Craig,

--------Kinda liked it better with the green deck! At least it has good ol american power under the hatch,no matter what the valve cover decal says...............Bill S

Craig
02-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Oldredalert,

It's strange, my boat is exactly the way he painted it (white deck, green stripe) and I've always loved the way it looks (still do) BUT, I sort of thought the same thing about that one when I saw the "before" pics.

Maybe it's because I'd never seen one with the green deck (except in their old catalog) and "that" green looked more like a nasty lemon lime green. This is the cool British (or is it "Grumble" green). Although, it was pretty faded looking. Should have just painted it the color it was.

I kind of think he did a real nice job of sort of (in a way)ruining this boat. Mostly just because he "un-originalized" it. Hey I think I just made up a word!

mphatc
02-15-2004, 01:35 PM
That 18 BMW Barrelback . . .

power is a BMW m30 family six cylinder

here's some interesting tidbits

M30 is a single overhead cam, came in several different displacements 2.5, 2.8, 3.0, 3.3, 3.5 liters with an aluminum head. Later engines all had forged cranks. The early M30 was usually set up with dual 2 barrel downdraft carbs for auto use (in the USA). I suspect this one has a Solex 4 barrel . . yikes . .I've worked on these, can we say complex!!! YUCH !

Cars after 1975 are all injected.

Common out put range is the vicinity of 185 hp in stock form at ~ 6000 rpm.

Weighs less than a SB Ford .

Of interest is that this setup has the drive coming off the front of the engine . . flywheel is towards the bow of boat! I wonder how the alternator and power steering are driven? Is that a PS cylinder?

Kind of cool, has got to sound cool at full tilt boogie! :smile:

MPHATC

Craig
02-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the BMW info. It's all new to me!

Here's the "wierd green" I mentioned from the old catalog picture:

AVickers
02-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Actually, that M30 it the right way around. (I had to think about it... I've got a Sixer and, because the hood hinges on the front, I've never seen the engine from that angle...)

I wonder what kind of governance they have over their marine powerplants... Here in the States the Coast Guard would have water jackets and special carbs, alternator, distributer, fuel pump, etc.

Wonder what those kinds of things would cost w/ a BMW Roundel on them???? (...and we just thought buying "marine" stuff was expensive!) :wrench:

Lenny
02-19-2004, 10:34 AM
http://www.buysell.com/userphotos/0001476693/1362003_82454.jpg