PDA

View Full Version : Tips to prevent engine damage

Grip-it
02-12-2004, 09:21 AM
I wanted to start a thread on how to prevent engine damage. With the spring coming up, I was wondering if anybody has any tips or advise on how to prevent engine damage, valve rods breaking, water in the cylinders, or anything that would bust your engine. I have an 87 350 mag with 500 hours and want to avoid any serious problems. Please Advise

Fish boy
02-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Great thread Grip it, should become a classic over time. Not sure how much I can contribute to you I/O guys, but if anyone is interested in a little Clamp on mota stuff, I've learned a few things the hard way. :eek!:

In addition to the wealth of info from the regulars, hopefully we can drag some input out of some of the guru's that are often here but don't always post.

Fish

RickR
02-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Install an OIL TEMPERATURE GAUGE :angryfire
Let your oil come up to temp before WOT and let engine cool before shut down.

Check for leaky riser gaskets. :smash:

McGary911
02-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Know that your timing is set correctly. Too much advance=pre-ignition=failure. Gaffrig actually makes a knock gauge that attunes itself to your engines sound, then alerts you if any knock occurs. Called the Knock-O-Meter, i believe, about $400...anyone ever use\see one?

Cuda
02-12-2004, 04:46 PM
The number one cause of catastrophic engine failure is bad risers. Check them out, especially in salt water.

Murphy
02-12-2004, 05:27 PM
I installed a pre-oiler on my 86 rebuild. Flip a switch and you have 40psi of oil pressure before even turning the switch. I figured on an engine that sits all winter and sometimes several days between startups, it might help. It certainly turns over easy on startup!

PS... great new avatar. That's me cutting seaweed to clear the area before starting up the SS.

Murph

MOP
02-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Well I have developed a way of doing the spring start that has saved a few motors over the years. First of all I am pretty sure most everyone no matter how many hours on the oil changed both oil and filters during lay up. Spring is the time for checking over every thing, electrical connections that did work last season may fail soon into the season especially in SALT clean ALL! It is also the best time to do your tune ups. One of the very first things I do after my electric and hooking up the battery is to pull the spark plugs. The engine in most cases has set for several months, one good squirt of oil in each cylinder let to sit for about 10-15 minutes then ground the coil, place rags by the spark plug holes and crank in over till the oil pressure gauge gives a solid reading. Check each and every plug hole for any sign of water, I have found anti freeze in many an engine due to a riser or rare but also a leaking head gasket. Either of which can and most times will cause damage on start up. If all is well put the new or cleaned and gapped plugs back in and hookup the water and fire it up. There is no added time doing it this way but it is what I call insurance. Fresh water cooled guys now is the time to install new zincs after the system is clear of anti freeze, before I learned better at tech school I used to do the zincs in the fall. The reason given was anti freeze they felt had a tendency to coat the zincs, still not to sure I believe it but I do it as I was told by the then old pros. Before running it on the water pull your distributer cap and check to see if you rotor will move freely about 3/8 of an inch and then spring back(Newer HI systems do not use advance weights) then your timing. I leave my gas very low in the fall then fill with fresh in the spring even though I chuck a can of Stable in it in the fall.
Ramblings of an Old Fart Mechanic!

Top Fuel
02-12-2004, 06:01 PM
And also be sure to run a quality oil. This is not a place to save a buck or two. I run Red-Line synthetic, in everything I own, not because they sponsor me but because it is a great product and it's puts up with nitro, ha. I have rebuilt two late model low hr 500 efi's this winter for guys who used , let's just say...not too good of oil. It does make a difference.
Steve Huff
www.huffmotorsports.com
Z-33

Donzigo
02-12-2004, 06:17 PM
"Ditto", so far on all that's before me. It's always a good thing to let your engine idle for five or ten minutes to let the valves cool down, after a hard run.

gcarter
02-12-2004, 07:16 PM
I really like the idea of the pre oiler, but a less expensive route is a dash mounted starter button. Crank it a few seconds till you see some oil pressure (assuming electrical power to the gauge) and then light it off. Every time.

George Carter