PDA

View Full Version : 22 classic wanted

pokster
02-11-2004, 08:23 PM
I've havn't posted sence fall. But I'm still looking for a 22 classic. I'm looking for a fresh water boat with a stock big block. I limited by way of money. So I need to stick to blue book values. I live in Wisconsin and willing to travel.

Woodsy
02-17-2004, 09:31 PM
Pokster...

You need to post your price range... book value is all fine & dandy, but if its more than you want to spend, save yourself the hassle. For example the 22C I am trying to sell with a low hour (205) stock Merc 454 MAG EFI books out on NADA.com at $25,300... add $1000 for the trailer and you have a mint condition 22Classic, ready to go... It books out on BucValu.com at $26,700 to $29,600, without the trailer. So anyway, what I am getting at is that its a matter of perspective & budget....

Good luck in your search!

Woodsy

MOP
02-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Dave as soon as the weather turns warm your beauty will be history!

Phil

Hotspare
02-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Tyson,,,,, has a nice 22 for sale !!!!!! It's in the Donzi's for sale section with pic's, which I'm sure you've already checked out .... But it's nice at a fair price for a Donzi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck .... ;)

pokster
02-18-2004, 08:48 PM
sorry I didn't give a price range. I was origally trying to stay under 15,000. this should put me in a 89 to 93 or so. I've seen 95's for 20,000 that I've been trying to swing. $25000 would put too much of a dent in my toy fund

Woodsy
02-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Pokster,

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything decent in the $15K range. The $20k range should yield some better boats. Sorry if I seemed like I was trying to sell mine, I was just trying to point out the variations in book value vs what the finance committee has approved funds for. Good luck in your search!

Woodsy Von Outboard

freeplay
02-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Ok Ok Ok........I'm Open to an offer. Due to the fact i have my eyes on a Cafe I'm open to an offer on my Black Hawk. Here's the dealio....1995 #32 was sold new and repowered ....lets say underpowered 12 hours after the sale with a bravo 1 and 7.4. ....what a shame huh. But to have the most awesome looking donzi (in my eyes :eek!: ) it was worth it. Hell just ask "roadtrip". Bought the boat with 25hrs. currently has around 100. all fresh water never salt. Also included is the Eagle deluxe trailer. Matter of fact the boat was sold to the orginal owner in Wi. where i picked it up. email me for more info if interested. Cheers and hope to see you all in May!

PS~visa,cash,cashiers check,cash,mastercard,cash,paypal and cash gladly accepted.........and really.....you want to swipe the card.....i can ship the boat or hell even meet ya 1/2 way......i never need an excuse to hit Chicago!!!

pokster
03-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Spring is coming and I still havn't found a classic I like. I have found a 23 Checkmate with the same 24 degree bottom, and less cash. My thinking is to persue this boat at this time.
I don't like paying a premium for a name.:confused:

Rootsy
03-09-2004, 10:15 PM
wooow... i think it goes way beyond a name...

El Bandido
03-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Spring is coming and I still havn't found a classic I like. I have found a 23 Checkmate with the same 24 degree bottom, and less cash. My thinking is to persue this boat at this time.
I don't like paying a premium for a name.:confused:

are you paying a premium for a name, or getting a discount because of a name ??

pokster
03-11-2004, 09:15 PM
That’s kind of my point; I’m paying for the quality of the boat, not the name. For example; I would pay more for a 93 checkmate that has been care for, than a 93 classic that neglected. I find it very odd that my 1994 Searader 13 ft jet boat is in better shape that a lot of the classics I look at. Even though my little boat is only worth 3000, I still use fenders when tying up. It’s not that hard to take care of a boat and use basic seamanship skills. I guess all I've seen are the sellers that are selling the name Donzi first and the boat second. I would have a different opinion if I was looking for a 1973 with a v drive. But I'm not, I just looking for a used boat with a closed bow and a 24-degree deep v

Dr. Dan
03-11-2004, 10:56 PM
:umbrella: Pokeeman...I would suggest you go to some Events and do a little more "Due Dilegence" in your search for a boat....it does not sound like you are ready or interested in a Donzi...you are correct, conditionally it is not complicated to take care of a boat...yet you will find a disproportionate seperation of Value vs. Enthusiasts Dream here. :party:

I would go for that Checkmate....when its worth about $3000 you can trade it in for something that will have some actual intrinsinct value...I hate to say a boat will hold its value...sorta an oxymoron...but if ya just need a 24 Degree Hull...go for the value.....

But I don't think you'll get alot of Sympathy for our obsession for over priced Donzis here on the Registry...this is more of a Crack House for Drinkers with a Boating Problem....and it ain't curable... :cistineb:

Good Luck

Doc :beer:

MOP
03-12-2004, 12:54 AM
Damn DAN you hit it! That rates a double BRAVO BRAVO!!

MOP

gcarter
03-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Now I've allways been a project sort of guy, but then some people aren't. I've spoken and comunicated with a number of board members who have bought nice 22 Classics for considerably less than book value. Either they were very shrewd, or very patient and looked a long time for the right opportunity. The important thing is they were successful in getting what they wanted at the right price. My way has allways been to look for projects no one else wanted to tackle. I enjoy it. I wouldn't want to work on boats for a living, but as recreation I find it hard to beat. I've read posts on this site about people buying boats for prices that are terifying to me, but not for them.
Fortunately on this site there is room for all of us. You can buy Donzis for $4,000.00 (I did) or $100,000.00. I am in awe of the person who can pony up a check for a new 22 Classic, after all Donzi needs to stay in business. But for those of us who like the "vintage" aspects of Donzi boating, there is room for us too.
After doing considerable work on my Minx, I wouldn't say that Donzis maintain their value because of oustanding quality (see some of my posts), but because of reputation. The structural problems I've encountered have been because of shoddy fitting of stringers and frames and crappy glass work.
Now don't everybody pile on, I'm just talking about the reasons for damage on my boat.
The main reason I bought a Donzi is because I've wanted one for 36 years.

George Carter

Hotspare
03-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Pokster ..... It sound's like you want a Donzi ,,,, But your willing to settle for a Checkmate ,,,, (a nice boat to be sure) ..... But, Don't let a bad case of Spring Fever pressure into something that's not going to fill your plate !!!!! The Classic Donzi is more than just a name ,,,, and it's more than just a boat ,,,,,, It's an expression of your inner soul ,,,, If you think the Chek is going to free you !!!!!!!!! Think again !!!!!!! Save a few buc's and get what you really want ......... There really is no cure ........................ :shocking:

Woodsy
03-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Pokster...

Now you have gone and done it... LOL! Let me get this right, you want a mint condition 22 classic for short money? Don't we all! If all your looking for is a closed bow 24 degree hull, there are PLENTY of those around. The reality of the situation is cost of ownership. Your not just "paying for a name" as you so aptly put it. Mercedes and Chevy both make cars, they both have 4 wheels and an engine, but for some reason the Mercedes costs more? Used mercedes cost as much as some new Chevy's! Do you really think its because of the name "Mercedes"? Or maybe its because for the past 80 or so years they have been making HIGH QUALITY vehicles and have developed a reputation for high quality/high value?

Donzi has been making high quality, (with a few notable misses) high performance boats for 40 years. There are all sorts of reasons a Donzi Classic is valued higher than a Checkmate or Baja etc. (sorry but friends don't let friends buy Baja's! LOL j/k). When was the last time you saw a mint condition 83 Checkmate? Have you ever heard of someone doing a a complete deck off restoration of one? I have never heard of anyone doing that, although I'm sure someone has. Go to NADA or BucValu and check out the values of what you consider comparable boats, same year, same size engines, same length. A Donzi Classic will almost always book out higher than most.

Let me explain cost of ownership! The buy in price for any high quality item, is usually very high. The return on your investment is that it doesn't depreciate as fast as a lesser quality item. So it costs you less to own over the same period of time as a comparable, but cheaper item.

Then there is the coolness factor, and unless you experience it, you won't understand... I have guys in thier $300K Cigarettes and Hustlers pull me over to stop and talk about my little 22 Classic. About how they always wanted one, saw one back in the day etc etc. This cool website, no others like it and its sense of community in the boating world! The people you meet, whom invariably become great friends, not just boating friends or aquaintances, but GREAT LIFELONG FRIENDS.

As a card carrying member of the Winni Bandits, I cannot comment on Dr. Dans comment, "this is more of a Crack House for Drinkers with a Boating Problem....and it ain't curable... " as I and most of my friends resemble that remark!

Good luck in your search. I hope you end up in a Donzi. But if your all about a 24 degree hull and a closed deck, have some fun with the Checkmate...

Woodsy Von Outboard

pokster
03-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Ok, so the main peaple I've run into are the people getting out of donzi. I've been looking for a boat going on 7 years. There is not much I don't know about them. A far a people restoring things, I heard of someone restoring a yogo. I sure that some day I find a donzi, but until then A checkmate is cool to. For the record I never metion baja. I don't need a boat that bad.

Side note; do any of the east coast boys go iceboating? You can spend alot of money and get to go sailing two or three times a year if the ice is good. and the madison guys are talking sailing at speeds over 120.

gero1
03-23-2004, 07:30 PM
drive a truck up to wi every week,wasaw,mosinee,medford aera, found a great holman moody south of wasaw last year, all org and not a scratch on it foe 9000.00, just bought a 95 black hawk. any way heres a number 734-848-4550 dont know what it is but it is a donzi, says only 400 made at a dealer in erie mi

pokster
04-05-2004, 09:04 PM
I called, Its a old 18 classic. Sounds nice, but I want a 22 for the Michigan water. I like the idea of a 383. I perfere the SS windshield.

Rootsy
04-05-2004, 09:14 PM
my parents live 10 miles from erie.. what marina / dealer has the 18 and what are the details???

pokster
04-05-2004, 10:35 PM
I think it was a 1974, The dealer never got back to me with any more details and I didn't pursue it any farther. Sorry. I'd just give them a call.

gero1
04-14-2004, 12:51 PM
i have not seen this boat ad says 22 classic,7.4,silent choise with trailer, white with red,2001,89 hrs #847-336-9037

txtaz
04-14-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm with Doc...Hick.... :beer: :beer:
Because of my Donzi, I have reduced my wine selection to Mad Dog 20-20. But I have never had Soooooo MUCH fun drinking MadDog. :)
It's all in the appreciation, of the boat that is. It's not a name, it's a culture and history. I've wanted one for 20 years. Now that I have one, it means all that more to me. If you don't appreciate the boat, save your bucks and get the Checkmate.
Wes

harbormaster
04-15-2004, 07:27 AM
Have lots of fun and meet lots of folks on the checkmate registry...

pmreed
04-15-2004, 07:45 AM
:rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

Phil

deep south
05-01-2004, 07:55 AM
:wavey: : i have a 94 with stock 454 mag in very good condition. bravo 1. 2000 loadmaster tandem trailer with brakes. a steal at $18000. 225 262 6732.

Koenig
05-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Read this thread because I want a project classic 22.

I consider the Donzi classic to be like Porsche's 911 series. A friend is looking for a targa, my advice to him is. Buy the newest model in excellant condition you can afford.

Think this not only applies to the classic as a series it applies to all boat makes as well.

To put my next words in more diplomatic terms. I have a thing for chocolates, but not just any brand. Others make fine chocolates and they all look the same, but nobody makes better tasting than Pierre's in New Hope,PA!

pokster
05-06-2004, 12:45 PM
I agree, I've done corvette's, and found that the same money is spent when all is said and done, if you want a nice look car at the end if you start cheep or buy nice. I want to pay whats the boat is worth. so I'm just go newer until the price is was the boats worth. now all I need to is figure a way to aford it. I feel going to a small block will help control the price too.

I'm calling on the 22 by the way.

pokster
05-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Deep souths boat is a z. I was going to call on a 94 or 95 classic in OH. white and blue. the add is gone, does anyone know if the boat is sold or better yet have the number. He was asking 22,000. Or does anyone else know of any fresh water 22 classic for sale. I look at a 10000 classic here in WI and I don't have the time to fix that much. So I'm bagging the bank for money. So anyone?