PDA

View Full Version : My Minx's outdrive

gcarter
02-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Okay boys and girl(?), guess what I did today?
I disassembled the gimbal assembly on my 18 year old Minx. I'm assuming it"s never been touched before.
Anyway, this is my first boat with an outdrive. And I must say I've had to do many mental adjustments. It seems inboards are much easier to rebuild.
Right after I purchased the boat, I bought a Clymer Mercruiser manual. And while I think todays job was somewhat difficult, I found if I followed the manual explicitly, everything did come apart. It just took awhile. Hopefully most of you won't see these kind of problems. Then again, maybe they're all like this. I wouldn't know.

Cuda
02-08-2004, 04:38 PM
You are really moving along with the project! Looks like you may be in the water ahead of me, and I had a 6 month head start.

When I bought my 81 Formula, it had a MR drive (precursor to the alpha). When I repowered, I switched to an Alpha that I bought on ebay that was in great condition (looked like zero hours on it), so I haven't had to delve into the world of drives..............................yet.

gcarter
02-08-2004, 05:20 PM
I have both an inner and outer plate enroute to me via eBay(thankGod for eBay!!!) . Hopefully I'll have this part of it refinished and reassembled in three or four weeks. Simultaneously I have an engine being assembled for me by a machinest friend.
Also this weekend, I stripped the engine compartment and hopefully be refinishing it soon. Hi Dr. Dan, I saw your pictures and that bilge paint looks pretty good.

So much for today;
George Carter

Cuda
02-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Did you get your forward bulkhead problems fixed?

gcarter
02-08-2004, 06:47 PM
I've figured out what to do. I'm going to be doing some grinding, not only in the area of the recently removed frame , but anywhere in the engine compartment that needs cleaning up. I was going to do this today, but the temperature and the wind were just a bit uncomfortable. So maybe I'll get to this job one afternoon this week. I have to convince my wife of the priorities, after all ,we have employees to do the work I would be doing if I were in the office.
I will be replacing the frame soon afterwards. It's like any fiberglass job, it's all preporation. Get everything cut and layed out, and put it all together in about ten minutes. :cistineb: :cistineb:

George Carter

Donzigo
02-09-2004, 01:53 AM
Nice job, George. I hope to get up that way to see your work, soon.

Richard

Dr. Dan
02-09-2004, 04:07 AM
:pimp: Sounds like you're not wasting any time....and that is a good thing...these things have a tendency to stretch into more and more items to tweak or replace....if you want to see argueably the nicest and most sanitary restoration....check out some of the search engines or registry photos of Scott Pearsons Toys...or CDMA (Chris Allard) Hmmm I could go on and on cuz there are many.... :biggrin.: but these Donzi Lunatics know no boundaries when it comes to pride in ownership and "Doing it the right Way"....the Boat factories could be taken to school by listening to more than a few of the board members here...Good Luck...post more Pics as you go...

:garfield: Doc

gcarter
02-09-2004, 06:32 AM
Thanks everyone;
My intention is to restore it mechanically this year, use it this summer, and work on the gelcoat nicks & scratches, windshield, etc next winter. Yes we do have a winter here, it just slows you down, it doesn't stop you. :)

George Carter

catch 22
02-10-2004, 08:20 PM
George, I know a guy around the corner from you that needs something to do. Give him a call. He's pretty good with a wrench to. Don't tell him I said that. Keep us posted on your progress. Jim :wavey:

gcarter
02-10-2004, 09:12 PM
George, I know a guy around the corner from you that needs something to do. Give him a call. He's pretty good with a wrench to. Don't tell him I said that. Keep us posted on your progress. Jim :wavey:
Is his name Jim also? :wink:

George Carter