PDA

View Full Version : Interesting? Hornet Web Site

DUCATIF1
02-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Yes, I am still lurking around here without a boat. I find site to always have interesting reading. Anyway I found site about bench seat Hornet. I am sure you guys either know owner or boat ( I hope it isn't link from this site?) as you guys know every Donzi.

TRY:: http--members.aol.com-JGarbarino-DONZI.htm

Lenny
02-08-2004, 01:32 AM
http://members.aol.com/JGarbarino/DONZI.htm

TuxedoPk
02-08-2004, 03:09 AM
John sold the Sting several and it was resold again last year for $15k. After John sold the boat the next owner replaced the Ford 289 with a different engine.

Scott Pearson knows this boat well and gave me his thoughts last year; he's probably the best person to answer any specific questions about the boat.

Scott Pearson
02-08-2004, 06:56 AM
I know the boat and have alot of pictures of that boat also. Its all there but like most Hornets of that era it still needs a ton of work, Stringers, Coring etc. But, It is what it is!

(NJ)Scott

Bob
02-09-2004, 12:35 PM
The last owner replaced the HM with a 5.7 liter SBC.

Scott Pearson
02-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Yes, Powell chevy powered the boat but used a 305 not a 350. As far as I know the boat is still for sale.

(NJ)Scott

DUCATIF1
02-09-2004, 09:09 PM
I was not looking to buy but somebody did Email saying the boat is for sale at around $12K. They did say the engine was swapped out as noted above. I thought I found some interesting reading but as usual you guys know every Donzi out there.

royalbcat
02-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I saw this boat & looked at it when I was up in Rhode Island last August. Scott's on the money condition wise but it is a neat boat. Just more project than I have time for. Too many hobbies, not enough time.

Cuda
02-15-2004, 11:01 PM
That is one cool looking boat. Does anyone of the board own one like it?

Lenny
02-16-2004, 01:00 AM
Pearson has the "best, collectible version of it"....327 Turbo Daytona, bench seat Hornet 19', V-drive"... need I say more :D

Cuda
02-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Pearson has the "best, collectible version of it"....327 Turbo Daytona, bench seat Hornet 19', V-drive"... need I say more :D

Actually, I meant other than Pearson's. That was a given. :)

Scott Pearson
02-16-2004, 06:40 AM
Cuda,
You mean like these? :eek:

(NJ)Scott

Cuda
02-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Cuda,

(NJ)Scott

Ahh yes, that's exactly what I wanted to see! I take it these are all regular Hornets. A couple questions, are they all left hand steering? How were they originally powered mostly?

Scott Pearson
02-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Cuda,
Everyone I have ever seen has been port side helm. These are all Bench Seat Hornets. There are however regular Hornets with 2+3 seating. As far as we know all the stern drive Bench Seat Hornets where powered buy small block Fords. The V-drive Bench seat Hornets were either Big Block Fords, Big Block Chryslers or Small block turbo charged Chevys. I know Brownie might have some good input on this one. Hope this helps.

(NJ)Scott

Cuda
02-16-2004, 08:52 AM
How many of the original Hornets were made, 2+3 and bench seat?

olredalert
02-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Cuda,

(NJ)Scott
Scott,
------Thanks for these great pictures. Havent seen but one or maybe two of these benchs,if that. No wonder we all want these boats!
------Where is PZAZZ? That is one CQQL bench seat. Have you seen this boat in person or do you just have the pic? I wonder exactly what color that is.It looks like maybe red or orange but with not the best color transfer. You got to love those colored decks. they really stand out.
------Looking at all the pics I dont think a one of them has the same guage set-up. DONZIs back then were anything but production line,cookie-cutter boats,HUH! I think this diversity is one reason I like the older DONZIs so much................Bill S

Morgan's Cloud
02-16-2004, 10:06 AM
In the thumbnials that Scott has attached the white with red deck/boot stripe
and stern rail (2nd pic) is here in Bda.It was brought in by a friend of mine who after a few runs in the St Tropez just had to have a Donzi.It was located in Miami and originally advertised in Boattrader.I don't think the guy who owned it knew what it was as he spoke of it as a "prototype Donzi/Cigarette".
I do know that when I saw it my first thought was "what the hey is this ?"
The boat was repainted before we found it and is that horrible barf yellow green under the white :biggrin.:
It is a '68 and did in fact have the original HM Ford 289. Danny changed the lower unit to a 280. He only ran it for a year or two and then got married (with instant family) and the boat languished to the extent that the motor froze.He loved the boat but his heart was'nt in it if you ask me ...there's a difference between a Donzi afficionado and someone who just wants a Donzi :dolphin:

The boat is still here and supposedly being restored by a boatyard owner who is more than likely so busy he will never complete it .

Bill if it was mine I'd trade it for the El Pesc.... just can't have enough of those classic centre consoles :garfield:

Scott Pearson
02-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Bill,
Pazzaz is located on Lake George its owned by Chris Fryhoffer. Yes I have seen it in person and have took a very close look at the boat. Its all original and most likely one of the nicest unrestored Bench Seats out there. Its orange also.

As far as gauge setup. Its seems the early models like mine, Thomas Ruperts and Mike Devlins are Turbo Charged boats. This is the gauge setup that has no dash and is just gauges set accross the cockpit. The non turbo boats are equiped with a gauge panal. Also the decks are different. The early turbo boats have a raised area with a luvered SS panal where the the scoop would be (See Picture). The Later boats just have scoops like any 16 or 18 would have of that era.

Cuda,
The pictures I posted are about half of the Bench Seats that we know about. As far as 2+3's I'm not sure but there is a hell of alot more. John S. own's one of the earlyest 2+3's.

(NJ)Scott

olredalert
02-16-2004, 01:37 PM
-------Wow,Scott,those louvered scoops are cool. The whole deck mold was different then,huh!. We have to get PZAZZ out and about a bit more. Does he use it much?................Bill S

Scott Pearson
02-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Almost forgot...All the Daytona Boats had a 4" fuel filler. Pretty ugly, buy kinda cool. Mine wil be rechromed and put back on the boat.

(NJ)Scott

Lenny
02-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Scott, are those vents (louvered ones) PUNCHED OR CAST?

Scott Pearson
02-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Lenny,
There punched out of Polished Stainless.

(NJ)Scott

Cuda
02-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Are the Hornet II's the same hull?