PDA

View Full Version : little old formula

tmac
02-06-2004, 09:57 PM
I bought a 1970 17' formula outboard five years ago. Although i was a boat fanatic even back then (1970)at 10 years old and my father had 23 formula at the time I don't recall seeing this boat. It's in real good original shape and I still have the capacity plate. At that point formula was owned by Alliance Machine. This boat was rated at 210 HP which seems unheard of for a seventeen foot boat and considering the largest outboard of that day was a 135 hp. Does anyone have any info or recollection of this boat. It's set-up like a more conventional runabout as opposed to a donzi 16 or formula jr. but it's a great looking and great riding boat. Does anyone have any info on this boat. Formula does'nt have any old records on this model

Lenny
02-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Post a pic Tmac and the "wise" will interject. (not me by the way)

tmac
02-07-2004, 08:24 AM
Lenny,

Here are some pics. Any info would be appreciated.

Tmac

Cuda
02-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Hmm, I'm a Formula nut and I haven't seen one like that.

Lenny
02-08-2004, 01:44 AM
What I DO find interesting is the fact the entry (bow) has the same lift strake layout as the Formula Junior. All that is missing is the tumblehome transom. The other difference I see is the higher freeboard than that of the FJ. Certainly looks related tho. If I was to take a pic of the front of my FJ and compare the angle to what you posted, it would be the same boat...

Wierd...

JimG205
02-08-2004, 08:17 PM
TMAC- Looks to me like an early 70's model-used to be a bunch of these around the bay where I boated.They were pricey then but had a good rep as a dry boat and good speed with the right outboard.Jim :)

Formula Jr
02-10-2004, 01:24 AM
That was one of a whole series of Walt Walter designed boats. They were all called F and then the length. So its an F173 or something like that. They looked very conventional yet had bullet proof deep V hulls.
Thats a very sweet looking boat in the pics and I'll bet the dimentions of the bottom match the Formula Jr.

Steven Cohn
02-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Here are pictures of a '72, F-19, w/188 Merc I/O [302 Ford]I had about nine years ago. You all are correct, they were/are sweet boats. A '85 CC (next to Formula) I owned, at the same time, ride and construction paled in comparison.

ALLAN BROWN
02-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Those boats were both "cutdown" F233's, made before Tbird got a small mold. They actually ran very well.

Cuda
02-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Here are pictures of a '72, F-19, w/188 Merc I/O [302 Ford]I had about nine years ago. You all are correct, they were/are sweet boats. A '85 CC (next to Formula) I owned, at the same time, ride and construction paled in comparison.

Good looking hull.

MOP
02-12-2004, 11:30 AM
I know what you mean about them being good boats. I had a 23 with a 350 270hp Crusader hooked to the old electric OMC drive(something broke once a season) I also had a 23 for one season in Fla that had twin Volvo triple carbed inline 6's which if memory serves me were 170hp it was a great offshore boat for its size. In 1973 I bought a new 17 foot Formula it was a bit different, a little longer fore deck, lower shear line more of a classic look. It had 165hp Merc I/O which I put a Quadra Jet on so it made a little more power and 250rpm, I think it did a little over 50 not sure. It had single bucket helm seat and a back to back to port with jump seats aft. It was a really well made boat, it was bright yellow with a black interior black navy top and had tabs. I used to ski back then, it would pull 3 or if doing slalom 2.

Lenny
02-27-2004, 10:55 PM
TMAC, here is a pic of the bow area/entry on the Formula Junior...Very similar boats...other than transom and freeboard.

tmac
02-28-2004, 05:21 PM
TMAC, here is a pic of the bow area/entry on the Formula Junior...Very similar boats...other than transom and freeboard.
Lenny,
Thanks for the info. It sure appears to be the same hull. Any idea how many formula Jr's were made. The capacity plate on mine shows hull #96.