PDA

View Full Version : Getting excited

Cuda
02-03-2004, 10:45 AM
I put the carb on the engine for the Minx yesterday, now it's finally looking like an engine! All I need to do now is bolt on all the accessories. This might be a challenge since I didn't take them off and don't have any idea how they were on the first time. I'm also probably going to have some linkage issues since it was origally a 320 EFI, and now is carbuerated. I may have to do a little "adjusting" to get the tall valve covers to clear the risers too. I haven't put them on, but when I held the exhaust manifolds up there, they were almost dead against the valve covers. I'm thinking of changing the pulleys too. I cleaned them up as best I could and painted them, but they still are a bit rough in the grooves, and that causes belts to wear out quickly. Where can I get the pulleys? Any suggestions on pLug wires? I'm also probably need some help with the plumbing. Is there a place on the net where I can see how this engine was originally plumbed?

Work has slowed down enough where I can now spend a little time working on it. I've been slammed for the last four months. A buddy of mine asked if I was putting it together one bolt at a time. It was damn near the truth!

What did the monkey say when he got his tail cut off????

IT WON'T BE LONG NOW! :jestera:

Cuda
02-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Another question, are flexible fuel lines coast guard approved, or do I need to have hard lines made for it?

BUIZILLA
02-03-2004, 11:06 AM
come and take pic's of my engine in my Minx and it will be a LOT easier to finish :lookaroun

Cuda
02-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Jim, does yours have the 320 Efi?

mikev
02-03-2004, 11:28 AM
the fuel line needs to be the hard line or braided steel no rubber line.

BUIZILLA
02-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Cuda, you can get the blue fuel line from AeroQuip and fittings. Mine is a carbed 350-270 that is 100% original, every nut, bolt, screw, washer.... yada,yada..

J

gcarter
02-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Gosh Cuda, two weeks ago you could have taken pictures of mine!! I took a few pictures, but mostly with everything off allready.

George Carter

Cuda
02-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Cuda, you can get the blue fuel line from AeroQuip and fittings. Mine is a carbed 350-270 that is 100% original, every nut, bolt, screw, washer.... yada,yada..

J

Mine will be just the opposite, replaced every nut, bolt, screw, washer...... :)

Fish boy
02-03-2004, 05:32 PM
cant wait to see her on the water Cuda- when do you expect the maiden voyage to be?

Fish

Cuda
02-03-2004, 05:33 PM
cant wait to see her on the water Cuda- when do you expect the maiden voyage to be?

Fish
It will probably be a little while yet. I'm busy this weekend, and next weekend we are going to Miami for the boat show.

Cuda
02-04-2004, 10:30 AM
MP, I couldn't get that link to work. Do you know where I can see a diagram of a typical cooling system?

gcarter
02-04-2004, 11:55 AM
MP, I couldn't get that link to work. Do you know where I can see a diagram of a typical cooling system?
Cuda, I'll gladly make you a sketch of the cooling system if you like.

George Carter

RedDog
02-04-2004, 03:04 PM

Try this for the same LINK (http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/components/index.cfm?fuseaction=getcomp&colid=04&coldesc=320%20%28EFI%29%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 %20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20GM%20350%20V%2D8%201 987&index=947)

Cuda
02-07-2004, 08:08 PM
I spent today trying to button things up. First I had to spend quite a bit of time moving the engine farther away from the engine stand.:mad: I guess it was made for engines with the two piece rear main seal, because there was no way it was going to go past the end of the crank. That was about the point when I went brain dead. There was one stud to put the seal on and I had two bolts that fit. I tried putting in the fourth bolt, but it wouldn't fit. I decided that it must have been a two sized stud there. I drove to the Chevy dealer (12 miles) and convinced him that such a part did exist. He said he had never looked up that part before. He didn't have one and informed me that the nearest one was in Lithia, Georgia. :( I aske if he thought I could get there before it closed. So I decided we'd just drill the housing out to 5/16 and put a bolt in it. The bit went thru the aluminum housing easily, but I could tell that it stopped before going all the way through. Hmm. I finally decided to pull the housing back off and see what the problem was. That hole was where the dowel stuck out the back of the block! I'm glad I didn't have a sharper bit! After that we got the oil pan put on, flipped the engine and installed the distributor. We were going to put the exhaust on, but found out four of the bolts I bought were too long (I blamed this on my dad since he measured them and called me with the size :) ) We started to install the harmonic balancer, then we decided the sealing surface was pretty rough and I didn't want to take a chance on it leaking, so I gotta get another one. I have a list of various bolts I still need to pick up, and figure out where the hell all the accessories go. Getting closer! :D

Rootsy
02-07-2004, 08:33 PM
OUCH.. that poor drill bit... nothing short of carbide is gonna cut that dowel..

good to hear you are getting her together!