View Full Version : 1969 18 2+3

2DONZI
02-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Classic Bumblebee! 302 Hollman Moody Package/ Volvo 280 Drive
Trailer
Needs Restoration/ Started But Have No Time! $3500 Obo

ITTLFLI
02-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Do you have a number you can be reached at?

Lenny
02-03-2004, 11:38 AM
2DONZI, upload a few pics ! :D

2DONZI
02-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Do you have a number you can be reached at?
I'M SORRY YOU CAN REACHED MY HUSBAND AT 239-652-4004, THANK YOU!
OR THE BEST IS 239-671-2628.

2DONZI
02-03-2004, 01:35 PM
2DONZI, upload a few pics ! :D
I'LL SEE IF I HAVE ANY IN THE COMPUTER IF NOT I WILL TRY TO SCAN I'M NOT VERY GOOD AT THAT. THE SIGNIFICANT OTHER IS OUT OF TOWN AND MAYBE HE CAN WALK ME THROUGH IT. THANKS!

gold-n-rod
02-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Yikes......... does this concern anyone else?

The husband goes out of town and his wife posts the Donzi for sale claiming there's no time to finish the restoration??? :eek:

I think a note from the husband saying it's OK to drive off with the Donzi is in order here!! It's like the guy at the hardware store who won't custom mix any paint for guys without a note from their wife. It's called CYA!!!!

:D

goldnrod

2DONZI
02-03-2004, 03:41 PM
:shocking:
Yikes......... does this concern anyone else?

The husband goes out of town and his wife posts the Donzi for sale claiming there's no time to finish the restoration??? :eek:

I think a note from the husband saying it's OK to drive off with the Donzi is in order here!! It's like the guy at the hardware store who won't custom mix any paint for guys without a note from their wife. It's called CYA!!!!

:D

goldnrod
IT'S OKAY BOYZZZZZZZZZZ. THE OTHER CLASSIC 1973 RED/WHITE 1973 GT HORNET IS ON THE DAVITS OUT BACK. i'M GOING TO TRY TO ATTACH THE PHOTOS I SCANNED. HOLD ON.............

Lenny
02-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Hey Tommy, this has you written all over it. Boat is currently "in the process" of a restore. Partially sanded down, needs paint or re-gel, trim/railing etc is off. Has original H/M logs, interior was redone but needs redoing again, deck core is not Balsa or plywood. 280 Volvo has been added, trim etc, some minor underside hull damage, gel chips etc. Decals are off of it, Scripts are available but not on. Most all hardware is there. New 36" decals are included. Trailer "works". Motor "runs". It needs a new waterpump.

This has Project Boat potential. Located in Ft. Meyers. (...do I need another project :bonk: ...??? ) I don't think so, but someone does.

HyperDonzi
02-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Lenny, I have no idea how gel is to do, how costly it would be to do a whole boat, etc. Does price includde a motor/drive/trailer?

Lenny
02-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Yes, as far as I was told it includes motor/drive and trailer. Motor and drive are in and working. Call them (him) if you really want all the poop. Surely there are some people in the Ft. Meyers area that will take a boo at it for you.

Rootsy
02-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Tommy,

before you go on a boat like this you have to be entirely, without a doubt, committed to finishing it... You aslo have to be able to aquire the funds to do it... even if this means in stages over time. It is not an entirely easy undertaking and takes commitment, time, planning and good management..

if the powertrain is all there and SOLID that is a big burden off of your shoulders.. you can live with it... a little cosmetic work and tune it up to tip top shape and it may not be a barn burner (maybe it will ;)) but it'll let you have reliable economical fun..

paint or gel... that is the big question, maybe the BIGGEST undertaking of the whole project for MOST people... stored on the trailer or in the water?... teenagers banging beating and crawling all over.. chicks on the deck?.. climbing on the hatch for skiing? well that answers that question pretty much... gel is going to be tougher for mar and scratch resistance and repair... paint is going to be an easier straight forward application for you with slightly less work and with the right materials and application can be really tough... couple grand in materials.. a TON of elbow grease, they won't be able to fingerprint you for a while ;)... and find a good friend or two that KNOW what they are doing and are willing to help you out.. literally.

any rotton wood? transom? stringers? floor? coring? if no... this is another HUGE burden off of your shoulders... and would be a bonus... if not solid.. welp add another grand...

interior.. well nothing 1500 bucks can't take care of...

wiring, rigging, etc? figure another 1500 more or less (blower, bilge, gauges, wiring, controls, cables, fuel lines, tanks, bilge paint, accessories, switches, yadda yadda)

if you do it right.. it'll be as good or better than anything you could buy for way more money... what is your time worth and how dedicated are you gonna be?

that will answer your question about whether this is the right boat for you...

and NO i am NOT trying to discourage you! Nor back stab you (not interested)... hell i'll give you a hand! :)

Root - planned in advance for the day... that i find the right barrelback ;)

Morgan's Cloud
02-05-2004, 01:55 PM
ROOTSY..

What you said above is so true and correct WORD for WORD it almost brought a tear to my eye :spongebob

I'm stumped for words !

Steve

JimG
02-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Lenny, how bad is the gel sanded? Down to bare 'glass?

This boat sounds a lot like my 1970 I bought last year for $4600. It had gel boogers, too.

I put hours and hours on it last year without spending ANY big bucks! (I did put a new crank-mount water pump on for $100). If this boat is turn-key, could one wet-sand, buff, install the hardware back on and go Donzi-ing like I did? It may not be Concours, but I get TONS of compliments on my boat. I didn't have to replace any of the blower/wiring/switches/yadda on mine. The original wiring on my boat was pretty well done. Better than most 30 year old boats, that's for sure!!

What a great way to join the Donzi world.. for $3500!! :shocking:

JimG

Lenny
02-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Jim, an interested party has GOT to phone the seller and get a new take on the conversation. I talked to him for 15 minutes or so. I got my impression. If I was 16 it would be in my yard by now most likely...but...I am not normal. The information he provided, all of it good, has to be inperpeted by the interested party on their own. Not through me. It is as easy as picking up the phone. No, I don't think the gel was sanded through to the lay-up...There ARE people around the area that could look at it for someone.

JimG
02-05-2004, 04:27 PM
If it's not sanded to bare glass, then someones done the work for you! The gel can be saved... I'm sanding mine now!!

This is what I did....

After trying unsuccessfully to get my hullsides yellow, I put 220 on my ryobi sander and went to town! There's the yellow!!
The gel on these boats is really thick. Then wetsanded (power) with 400, 600, 1000, 2000. Then compound on a buffer, and collinite. Looks frickin' NEW!!!

Someones going to get a great boat for $3500, with original gelcoat.

Craig
02-06-2004, 02:26 PM
I thought the van following the trailered boat in the one thumbnail pic was a Mercury Outboard !!

Nice boat for $3500.00 !

JimG
02-10-2004, 07:45 AM
2DONZI, have your hubbie give me a call... I left the number on his voicemail.

JimG

vincenzo33
03-08-2005, 08:31 PM
:lobster: two questions , one- do you still have it? two- do you have any photos? on a personal note ; Maine really needs another DONZI...
Classic Bumblebee! 302 Hollman Moody Package/ Volvo 280 Drive
Trailer
Needs Restoration/ Started But Have No Time! $3500 Obo