PDA

View Full Version : Engine Compartment Gelcoat

RickR
02-03-2004, 08:24 AM
My 22 was built in Feb and I think the cold weather caused some runs.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rryan60fiberglass.jpg

I decided against tread plate on the inside of the hull sides because of the compound curve but I would like to improve the cosmetics without removing the transom assembly and wiring.
I am a novice with fiberglass and gel coat.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Dr. Dan
02-03-2004, 05:41 PM
:sombrero: Big Rick...Last Winter/Spring I wedged my Fat Sorry Ass into my 22 Engine Bay and I sanded down the funky Gel Runs....when I got it all looking smooth...I did a Tip and Roll with "Jet White Interlux Bilge Coat"....Wow...what a difference, very high gloss, and it is idiot proof...in my case...once I get the Picture Posting Figured out I will post some...Poodle and Road Trip and several others saw it last season....I am very pleased and it really brightened everything up, and it cleans up very well...just as an FYI!

:wink: Doc

mphatc
02-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I agree! Dr. Dan did an awesome job on his engine compartment ! :superman:

I saw it at the 1000 Islands. It was then that I decided to do the same to my Corsican, but as my sorry ass is fat and lazy as well, :frown: and my engine compartment is much smaller, I separated the hull and the deck, pulled the engine and outdrive . . to have access to all of it . . I was actually thinking of smoothing everything in sight with with Epoxy and micro balloons . . wetsanding it and finishing with a polish . .

Wonder if Zymol works for this . . . . . please somebody :smash: me !

mphatc

Dr. Dan
02-03-2004, 11:25 PM
:banghead: I uploaded a couple of photos on my 2nd page of my "Members Section" on our Atlantic Coast Donzi Owners site www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com ....look under Dr. Dan...also a shot of the Eddie Marine Boxes...no real great gel shots...but it still looks pretty clean...enough to get an idea...? :toiletpap

;) Doc

RickR
02-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Dr Dan
After sanding did you prime or fair before the bidlge coat?

Dr. Dan
02-06-2004, 09:07 PM
:sombrero: Rick ...I just sanded,vacuumed and wiped it down with a clean rag to grab any loose particles....it wasn't completely sterile....but I had no issues after words. The Interlux White provided a surprising amount of spread, for as thin as it was....ya gotta keep the can sealed...or you'll be wasting alot....it dries reasonably fast, looks and stays shiny wet looking!

I applied several coats,after each one dried...

I Still can't get over what a difference it made, and if ya scratch any area, later on...it touches up very nicely!

Tip, if you are doing it over a few days, you can just cover your brush and or roller with Saran or Plastic Kitchen Wrap....make it air tight...and then when ya go back to do some more coats...just pull off the wrap and start painting...of course you can always just clean the brush after each days session as well...whatever works...I used a couple of different size brushes and a 6" small sponge rubber roller....and I bought a Painters Tray...kept it in the Bilge with me and I went to town....I did a section at a time....

When I was finished ... I remounted most of my wiring harnesses, with new brackets & supports, including the Battery Cables....keep in mind, my 454 was still in their....

Also keep a Fan Blowing on ya in there....the fumes get intense, and I almost started to grow hair! :pimp: Mask what ya can, if ya can't mask it, smear a little Vaseline on the area, it will wipe off later on easier.

Take Some Pics when ya get going! Good Luck..

:jestera: Doc

RickR
02-07-2004, 02:17 PM
Dr Dan
WOW :eek: that must have been tough with the engine in :eek:

I've found a "Interlux semi-gloss white bilgecoat" part # YMA102 http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/ You boat looks GREAT! Is that what you used?

Dr. Dan
02-08-2004, 07:56 AM
:jestera: My can was exactly like that, I located the receipt and it had TYMA102G on it, the can was red and white label, in a gallon container, and I used the white, so unless they make different sheen levels...that would be the one Rick. :garfield:

I am going to do some touch ups also this Winter when I pull my engine....If I find the right deal, I'll toss a newer version of getty-up in there, if not ...I'll replace the coupler and other related maintenance items and the 454 will go back in there...say what ya want....but it has been a very turn key motor...and it runs!!!! :pimp: What a concept...to actually boat and enjoy your Donzi! This is one characteristic in performance I wanna keep... :rlol:

Thanks for all of your help & direction Rick over the last 3 years...you and several others here have really added to our Donzi Experience...!

:sombrero: Doc

Dr. Dan
02-08-2004, 02:41 PM
:party: :spongebob :beer:

Rick...I edited my above post...I did find NTYMA102G on my receipt....I guess getting ready for tax season does serve its purposes some times, I don't through anything away!

I would think it would be the same product...

:biggrin: Doc