PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Acceptance In The A.C.B.S.?

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
02-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Just read this in a letter from A.C.B.S. President Jeff Stebbins to Lee Wangstad in the Winter 2004 copy of the A.C.B.S. Rudder:

"Thank you Lee. for your comments and contributions to the Rudder. As you may recall, we had a great conversation about fiberglass boats this last summer. You'll be interseted in hearing about the sweeping changes regarding the acceptance of these boats, their judging class, and broad new membership potential. Stay tuned.

Jeff Stebbins"

Sounds like interesting possibilities are in store for those of us who are interested in participating in Judged shows.
I'll do my best to keep the Registry Forum members informed.

FR :p

mphatc
02-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Just read this in a letter from A.C.B.S. President Jeff Stebbins to Lee Wangstad in the Winter 2004 copy of the A.C.B.S. Rudder:

Sounds like interesting possibilities are in store for those of us who are interested in participating in Judged shows.
I'll do my best to keep the Registry Forum members informed.

Please elaborate, I don't know what A.C.B.S. is . . .
Excuse my ignorance . . .

TIA,
mphatc

Marlin275
02-02-2004, 08:50 PM
http://www.acbs.org/

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
02-02-2004, 08:56 PM
The Antique and Classic Boat Society is the predominant group of wooden boat enthusiasts. Their events range from informal get-togethers to the Concours event at Lake Tahoe. The perception of them is that they are somewhat excusionary when it comes to non-wooden boats. The old "If God had meant us to have fiberglass boats, he would have given us fiberglass trees." stereotype. That, of course is a misconception for the vast majority of the membership.

gcarter
02-03-2004, 04:25 AM
You know, the first production fiberglass boat was a 37' or 38' sloop produced in about '48. I actually saw one of these boats in Clear Lake, TX in about '69 or'70, the point is, it was already about 20 years old. Some of the much much vaunted wooden runabouts were still being produced in the early '70's. Now although that 56 year old sloop wasn't a powerboat, it would seem the age of the technology would warrant a difference in attitude.
In about '90, Huckins Yachts in Jacksonville offered a recreation of a 40' 1950 model Fairform Flier yacht offered in fiberglass or the original wood construction. The wood boat was about $10,000.00 cheaper than the 'glass boat, or, it's cheaper and easier to build a custom wood boat than a custom 'glass boat.
I agree the age of the technology demands a change in attitude from a group stuck in the'30's.

George Carter

P.S.
I suppose this idea is akin to the Pebble Beach Concours allowing a small number of American hot rods. ;) ;)

ALLAN BROWN
02-03-2004, 07:36 AM
I just entered the Mt. Dora show with the Magnum Missile. The boat is fairly modern, I am the antique!

olredalert
02-03-2004, 09:30 AM
------Brownie,,,,,once again,you are ahead of the pack. Now Im really going to try to get to Mt.Dora. Tell us about this Missile you have up your sleeve............Bill S

Wavewalker
02-04-2004, 06:51 AM
A few years ago I saw a bright red Correct Craft Mustang at Mt.Dora and it was part of the show. I ask around and was told that it was no problem to enter fiberglass boats. Even more were there last year. Remember, a great deal of the "wooden" boats have resin infused hulls anyway. Plus some of the big winners have had all their original wood replaced and are newer than my 3 year old son! Anyway lets get some clasic glass entered. I know alot of the visitors would like to see the Donzi's on display.