PDA

View Full Version : New member with 18/22 Classic questions

gold-n-rod
02-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a prospective buyer for my present boat. If it goes through, I'll be shopping for an 18 or 22 Classic in the $20-25K range. I have some usability questions from those who own these models. I've only sat (and drooled) in an 18 at the boat show and never been up close and personal with a 22.

First of all, any 6 footers who can answer this? When seated, does the windshield direct wind over your eyes?

Next, we do a lot of sandbar boating in my present boat (a 24 footer that's laid out remarkably like the Ragazza). You know....... anchor out, stereo up, food and beverages flowing and lots of getting in and out of the water. I've never seen a Classic with a swim platform. I've seen Bajas with the squared off sterns that have a neat tubular platform..... anyone ever done that with a Classic? Also, as far as boarding ladders go, there were pics posted of a recent group purchase, but those didn't look any different that what's available out of a catalog. Do pictures exist of this ladder mounted? What about other solutions? I sure don't want the spouse, kids, guests climbing on the tabs or drive to get in.

What about a sunpad? Once, I saw reference to one, but no pictures. Seems like one could be made in one or two piece fashion, snapped where the top of the rear cushion backs attach and again at the stern near the rub rail. Are the hatches strong enough to handle sunbathers and folks coming aboard from the stern??

I realize that my posts sounds like a Corvette guy asking how to equip his car for tailgate parties, but I need to make sure that our new boat can perform as well at the sandbar as it does at 70 mph. Am I being too unrealistic?? I'd hate to think I'll need two separate boats!!!!

Thanks in advance for your replies. I look forward to your answers.

Randy

Mike Ellison
02-01-2004, 06:24 PM
This boat does'nt look to bad with a sunpad. Also, has a small swim platform:

Fish boy
02-01-2004, 07:23 PM
welcome out of the lurker closet GR. You might want to get in touch with Budmann. He has a 22, is about 6'2", had a sunpad made, and has a low profile windshield with two small sections that you can fold upwards, or leave dowm flush with the windshiled to deflect wind over the head of the driver and passenger.

look forward to you posting pics of your new 18/22 when you get it.

Fish

Mike Ellison
02-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Swim platform for 22" http://www.beachfiber.com/marineproducts.html Donzi:

Mike Ellison
02-01-2004, 07:49 PM
I prefer the Tube Swim Platforms:

http://www.extrememarine.cc/Swim_Platformx.html

Cuda
02-01-2004, 11:32 PM
The Extreme is what I have on my Formula. I think the other one kills the look of the transom. Just my opinion.

gold-n-rod
02-02-2004, 12:24 PM
I prefer the Tube Swim Platforms:

I agree!! Anyone here have one installed on a Classic? Pics please!

gold-n-rod

boldts
02-02-2004, 03:50 PM
GnR,
Can't help you with the swim platform aspect. Personally, while very user friendly, I feel they really detract from the over-all look of a Donzi Classic. I've owned an 18' & 22' Classic. The 18, we climbed up the outdrive to get back in the boat after sking. The 22, I have a fold-up ladder that attaches to the side about where the back seat is. It has 2 plates that are mounted on the top ledge of the deck in which the ladder then slides into with 2 feet that fold out to keep the ladder off the side of the hull. Works great and is easily stored up under the dash.

Your in a 24' cabin boat now. Doesn't matter what size Classic you buy, your not going to have the storage or the freedom room you have now. The Classic is a go from point A to point B boat. By the time you get 5 people in there, maybe a cooler of moderate size, your packed! Now add a towel for everyone to sit on along with your anchor, PFDs, food and maybe a water toy of some type, you'll be wishing you bought a 26 or 28ZX Donzi.

We love our 22, but there are only 3 in our family and my daughter is only 6 so her friends are small in size. Actually, our biggest reason for buying the 22 was to give us more freeboard for our daughter. The big block and additional speed over our 18 didn't hurt either. All I'm suggesting is that you remember what your getting in a Classic and what your leaving behind in your current boat. It's not a cuddy cabin and from what you appear to be wanting out of the boat may be a little more than adding a sun lounge pad and an easy way to get back into the boat.

Fish boy
02-02-2004, 06:03 PM
what about something like this? Easy to store, inexpensive, and will get the job done in a similar fashion to stepping on the drive. There are other versions that have 2,3,4 steps as well.

Fish

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=7485

RedDog
02-02-2004, 07:10 PM
what about something like this? Easy to store, inexpensive, and will get the job done in a similar fashion to stepping on the drive. There are other versions that have 2,3,4 steps as well.

Fish

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=7485

I bought this a couple of weeks back but can't vouch for its ease of use yet. I may just loop it from the ski tow eye. Or possibily screw the retaining lug to the cockpit wall under the the rear seat back cushion. Use once boating season returns will tell...

I kinda like the half platform pictured above. The others are just too much for the Classic lines in my opinion.

gold-n-rod
02-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Your in a 24' cabin boat now. Doesn't matter what size Classic you buy, your not going to have the storage or the freedom room you have now. The Classic is a go from point A to point B boat. By the time you get 5 people in there, maybe a cooler of moderate size, your packed! Now add a towel for everyone to sit on along with your anchor, PFDs, food and maybe a water toy of some type, you'll be wishing you bought a 26 or 28ZX Donzi.

We love our 22, but there are only 3 in our family and my daughter is only 6 so her friends are small in size. Actually, our biggest reason for buying the 22 was to give us more freeboard for our daughter. The big block and additional speed over our 18 didn't hurt either. All I'm suggesting is that you remember what your getting in a Classic and what your leaving behind in your current boat. It's not a cuddy cabin and from what you appear to be wanting out of the boat may be a little more than adding a sun lounge pad and an easy way to get back into the boat.

You are right on the money, Scott. Although my kids are older, they don't always go on the boating outings like they did when they were younger. I do however, always make myself available to skipper when my 18 yo wants to bring her girlfriends on a boat ride!! :eek: Still, the all-day sandbar adventures would be hard to give up entirely. Selling my low hour (250), always babied, 24 footer with a big block for $10K sounds foolish, I know. It's a $45K (new replacement cost), but still......... I long for a Classic.

I'm sure some of you can relate...............

Randy, majorly conflicted in Michigan :confused:

Dr. Dan
02-03-2004, 05:35 AM
:biggrin.: Golden Boy....You're right, a tough decision....I think you'll love a 22 Classic...it is not a sun lounge, anymore than a Corvette is a Pick Up! :p I can vouch for the "Non Rigid Ladders" They Suck...anything that is different from the one Scott Boldts describes is a waste of your time and money...ask me how I know this?( use the drive/cav plate) As for a swim platform...I have seen some on 22's(Murphy has one on his,and it looks good,but his boat is unique), and they did work and function fine....it does look like more of a Baja with one on there...which might get ya some "Purist" Sneers...but if that's your biggest problem...you'll at least have a nice Classic to transport you. As for a sun pad...I have seen some, check out the Lake George Photos...and I think you'll find some shots of a Yellow 22...that was equipt with a Sun Pad....this boat was sold a couple of years ago...keep in mind, if its attached...it can come unattached at speed...so be careful what ya wish for...ya just might get it? ;)

Good Luck in your search!

:cool!: Doc

undertaker
02-03-2004, 07:42 AM
:eek!: :biggrin.: Hey Doc I like your new avatar!! :eek!:

Barry Phillips
02-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Welcome golde-n-rod, I understand your dilemma there are a lot of trade offs owning a Classic Donzi, storage, general access, boarding from the water, etc., but they are a hell of a lot of fun and the get noticed factor is par none. I owned a Classic 18 with a windshield and now I own a 22. I would not go from a 24' to an 18 and the windshield just directs wind upward and blows your hat off. The 22 is not much better unless you are buying new and order the wind deflectors on the new style windshield. There is a company called Windaway, www.windaway.com that makes clamp on defectors that would seem to work. I know a guy who has a pair on a Checkmate and thinks there great. I for one would not ugly up my 22 with a snap in sun pad. I would only have a sunpad if I could get one to install with some kind of tab system. In terms of boarding I used a plain old 11" hook style ladder on my 18. I modified the stand offs to compensate for roll when boarding, worked great but hard to store in the 18. I really like the Extreme Marine swim platforms that Baja is using, I've seen a custom set up on an 18, which looked kind of cool, I'm trying to find a pic to post. A hook style latter dose not clear the 22's gunnel and I'm not going to clime up the outdrive. So that leaves me with doing some kind of platform or a transom mounted dive ladder, www.garelick.com, which can be dismounted and stored in the boat. Garelick has a new one where the steps fold up, I am thinking of the 2 step bass boat style with a bracket that can kick the ladder out to clear the trim tabs. 22s sit fairly deep at the stern so a 2 step ladder should be enough, it should also store with clips on the firewall, I need to measure. The new folding style ladder by Garelick may fit under the back seat, again I need to mesure. I have only seen the one Classic 18 with a tubular platform and it was a custom set up, but it looked really good, it’s just a matter if you want to bolt one up to a Classic Donzi, plus the high cost. Good Luck :propeller

Mike Ellison
02-03-2004, 08:11 PM
This would make an interesting swim platform: