PDA

View Full Version : Minx Upholstery

gcarter
01-31-2004, 09:54 PM
Would someone email some photos of the rear seat bottom cushion? Does it have plywood in the bottom, or is it simply a cushion? How thick is it? Could the photos show how it snaps in?
I would really appreciate any help.

George Carter :confused:

gcarter763@aol.com

Donzigo
02-01-2004, 09:50 AM
It orginally had plywood; but, you would be further ahead to use "styrene" for your new one.

Farco Plastics in Clearwater has it; or, give me the size. I have some left over I will give you.

harbormasterextra
02-01-2004, 10:39 AM
I had not heard of plywood being in the cushion.
for my 95 18 classic it is all foam.

BUIZILLA
02-01-2004, 11:12 AM
My Minx LE has the original cushions everywhere. The front lift outs are plywood bottoms. The rear 3 pieces have no wood at all. The same scenario with my 18 LE.

The Crit, however, has wood under the front butt bottoms, and the rear bottom.

J

gcarter
02-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks Harbormaster and Donzigo.
I just bought a whole sheet of 1/2" Starboard for seat bottoms, front buckets etc.
The front bucket seat shells of course have a 'glass shell with two pieces of plywood screwed to either side of it for strength, then the removeable bottom cushion insert is built on another piece of plywood. I was wondering if there is any advantage to building the rear cushion on a hard bottom, less likely to blow out, longer lasting, hold its shape better...?
What do y'all think?
I appreciate the input.

George Carter

gcarter
02-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi Buizilla!
Do you think the hard bottom in the rear has any advantage?

George Carter

Cuda
02-01-2004, 11:24 AM
My Minx has the same cushions as Jim's. No wood in the back.

BUIZILLA
02-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi Buizilla!
Do you think the hard bottom in the rear has any advantage?
George Carter
Absolutely not...

On the Crit, I fully intend to remove it and use stiffer black foam in it's place, sew on a bottom zippered panel with a snap flap, and be done with the wood. It's cumbersome to start with, and you have to negotiate it carefully when removing or reinstalling, so as not to damage the bolsters because it doesn't flex. If the interior in the Crit wasn't so perfect otherwise, I would re-do the entire interior right now.

J