PDA

View Full Version : Minx forward engine compartment transverse frame

gcarter
01-31-2004, 09:48 PM
This is a not to scale sketch of the forward engine compartment transverse frame, looking forward. There was very little fiberglass applied to this frame. It wasn't even seated on the hull, i.e., there was as much as 1/2" gap in places. As is obvious, the outboard ends tapers downwards at about 10 degrees outboard of the engine stringer. The bond with the hull and the stringers had broken in a number of places. I have allready cut this frame out. My question is, is this type of construction normal on Donzis? It would seem to me the correct thing to do is build up generous radii in the frame/ stringer and frame/ hull joints. Also it seems I saw a photo of a 22 Classic with the deck removed and this frame extended all the way to the chine. Shouldn't mine also (see phantom line above line of frame)?

George Carter

Donzigo
02-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Ditto to the "poodle", George.

On my 1989 Z-33, the front bulkhead cross-stringer is clearly in the cock-eyed, as well. One side is two inches different than where the other side is attached to the hull. My guess is that one stringer was shorter than the other one and they guys in lamination just went ahead and fiberglassed it. who knows? It doesn't seem to matter. Just bothers us "type-A" guys.