PDA

View Full Version : Beware of flying ice!!

Scott Pearson
01-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Guys and Gals,
Please be careful when driving this year of ice coming off of other car and trucks.

This morning Cathy was on her way to work heading North on Rt9 when a very large piece of ice (approx.4feetX4feet) flew off the roof of a box truck that was on the other side of the mediem heading South on Rt9. The chunk of ice flew over to her lane and slammed through the windshield of our 2002 GMC Yukon. I have never seen anything like it! It ripped through the windshield and caved in the entire thing. It sent ice snow and glass throughout the entire truck. Broke all kinds of stuff and jared everything loose. It looked like someone jumped off a 3rd story building and landed on the windshield!

Luckly Cathy was just very shaken up and didnt get a scratch. She stayed in total control of the truck with cars all around her. Its weird, just yesterday the Press had an artical about the police writing tickets for people who dont shovel off there cars or roofs of trucks etc.

Just be careful out there and show the same respect and clean off the ice if you have any. This could have have turned out alot worse.

(NJ)Scott

Fish boy
01-31-2004, 10:07 PM
hey Scott,
just glad Cathy is ok- sounds pretty scary and that she was really lucky.

Fish

boxy
01-31-2004, 10:20 PM
Scott, Sorry to hear about that, I'm glad Cathy is fine. We have 80 rental highway trailers that we use for storage in the city, and we spend more time shoveling them this time of year than we do moving them.

Digger
02-01-2004, 06:30 AM
holy crap. glad she is ok!

mattyboy
02-01-2004, 07:01 AM
Thank goodness Cathy is ok,

Matt, Marie and the kids

boldts
02-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Wow, I've seen flying ice and snow, but never seen it hit anything but the ground. I don't think I would have been as collected as Cathy if my truck's windshield were laying in my lap! Thank goodness she was OK!

Scott, Beth & Allison

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
02-01-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm glad everyone is okay. Thanks for the reminder, though. I'll remember it when it's time to clean off the car from the next snowfall, not to mention when I hit the highway.

FR :p

gcarter
02-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Hi Scott;
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune and I'm glad your wife is OK.
I was wondering, considering the closing angle of the two vehicles, do you think the th "A" pillar on the left side shielded her?

George Carter

Scott Pearson
02-01-2004, 07:20 PM
George,
This ice hit square in the middle of the windshied. Never even touched the piller, roof or cowl. The windshield to the entire hit. Its weird how some things happen.

(NJ)Scott

slick
02-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Seems we have another "Excellent Driver" way to keep your cool and control that large SUV: Cathy an Excellcent Driver. :cool!: :cool!: :cool!: :cool!:

Crazy Horse
02-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Cathy glad to hear you are okay!! See you at Lake George.