PDA

View Full Version : Larger Fuel Tank for 18C??

penbroke
01-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Yes, another fuel tank question. Has anyone ever installed a fuel tank larger than the original 25 gal. in an older 18 2+3?

Frank,
Watching mphatc. :eek:

mattyboy
01-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Frank,
Maybe a couple of gallons, but would have to be custom

Matty
think we need a fuel tank section

mphatc
01-29-2004, 06:21 AM
penbroke,

Measure the spacing between your stringers, possibly you can use a duplicate of my tank which will be ~ 40 gallons.

My 1969 Corsican stringers are 24" apart, I presume all 18s are this way??? My new tank design leaves 3/4" to the sides. My mid deck lifting eye is mounted to the bulkhead just forward of the tank. The eyelet is visable in the attached image of my tank as it looked after the deck was lifted.

I am removing the short bulkhead that Poodle mentioned, extending my tank to the rear ~ 24 inches. After removing this bulkhead I will be reinforcing this area in another way to simulate the support. In the image note the small cutout on the starboard stringer. This is to provide clearance for the seam in the cockpit floor, (footwell to seat area). The tank will run under that.

GEOO has installed a larger tank, . . I believe he is now running a 60 gallon tank, but few of us have an engine with an appetite like Mighty Mouse :(

mphatc

penbroke
01-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by mphatc
penbroke,

Measure the spacing between your stringers, possibly you can use a duplicate of my tank which will be ~ 40 gallons.

What are you using for your new tank? Is it a stock item or custom made?

I was thinking of moving the bulkhead back to just in front of the storage box. I think I can gain 6-10 inches in tank length and have the fuel line fittings accessable from the storage area by removing the box. There is no way to get at the end of the fuel line now.

Has anyone ever looked in to this idea??

Frank

mphatc
01-29-2004, 08:44 PM
My new tank is custom , and is 24 inches longer than what i pictured.

mphatc

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
01-29-2004, 10:24 PM
I don't see why it would need to be custom if Donzi is installing 41 gallon tanks in their new boats. You'd just need to make sure the stringer width is the same. No?

FR:p

penbroke
01-30-2004, 07:24 AM
Does anyone have dimensions for the 40 or 41 gallon tank? That seems like the simplest solution.

Frank

GEOO
02-01-2004, 03:33 PM
My 1975 X-18 came with a 25 gal tank. Some of the older 18's had an option for a 41-42 gal tank. I replaced my 25 gal tank with a 41 gal tank I purchased from Donzi in 1998. Last year I replaced that tank with a 62-65 gal fuel cell blatter.

mphatc
02-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Friends,

Spoke with CDMA today, little baahstaad was blasting off to a Super Bowl party on a 26ZX . . . Sucks to be him!

Anyways, I was able to confirm that the new 41 gallon tank used in the new 18 Classic would fit in an antique Donzi . . .

they haven't changed the stringer locations . . .

I will be calling on monday to get a price and delivery of 2 tanks . . who else wants one??? Will try to arrange a group buy if we can get enough interest . . maybe other models will qualify as well.

Please post me directly!
mphatc

langsten@comcast.net

GEOO
02-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Ask Chris if hehas a 41 gal tankfor sale? ( biy ibts hard to type when my 9onth old son keep****iing the key board)
Msdhnbpie
Any way I looked up some old photo's and I think RDS ws the supplier.
http://www.rdsaluminum.com/

mphatc
02-01-2004, 08:12 PM
geoo,

Please don't drive Mighty Mouse with the 9 month old on your lap!!! :eek:

mphatc