View Full Version : Fuel tank removal

gcarter
01-28-2004, 04:51 PM
PUUULEAZE<
someone explain how to remove the fuel tank from my Minx???:confused:

George Carter

Fish boy
01-28-2004, 04:58 PM
did someone say fuel tanks...making popcorn and eagerly awaiting the responses...:D

gcarter
01-28-2004, 05:18 PM
I am becoming subtletly aware that I must have hit on some board wide nerve....But!!! I really need to know.:) :)

Begging...

George Carter

Fish boy
01-28-2004, 06:07 PM
george,
here are a thread that might be able to help you get started. Wish I knew more about it, but hopefully some of the stuff in the the threads might be of some help.

Fish

tank 1 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23658&highlight=tank)

gcarter
01-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks Fish!
That was very helpful.
The next time I'll read the Program before I ask questions that are not in good taste.

George Carter

mattyboy
01-28-2004, 07:18 PM
GC,
I think the nerve is more raw about putting them back in!:eek!:

mine was just replaced with the help of some great board members,now i realize your boat is a minx but this is what needed to be done on my 16

seperate the deck from the hull,and then saw or remove the foam by any means and pry the tank out .

Now I'm not sure specifically on the minx but i would guess the same needs to happen, I do think that in the link it was Paul O who pivoted the deck open from the front and then replaced the tank on his 22, now remeber yout tank will be closer to the middle of the boat than a 22, but probably not quite as much under the floor as my 16

If your thinking cutting the floor you'll regret it!!!!

seems to be alot of tank replacement goin' on here, maybe foam ain't so good after all!:eek!: ;) :D

and don't worry about hitting nerves, that's how we all learn!

Matty
call me I'll tell ya all I know, so it will be a short call!

mphatc
01-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Here's a couple of images from my recent tank removal. I had no leakage, but did have a severe fuel contamination issue . .

one image is my tank prior to removal, another is the tank upon it's "rising from the hold"

I had to pull the deck, cut the foam with a very coarse hand saw, and lift. Easy lift as the bottom was water soaked and had separated from the glass.

MPHATC

mphatc
01-28-2004, 08:19 PM
here's the image of the tank standing on end after removal.

Note the rusty stain of the foam along wth the smooth surface of the foam, bond had long ago failed.

MPHATC

Morgan's Cloud
01-29-2004, 10:11 AM
George ,
Obviously a few others have replied before I could jump in and I can at this point add very little. I will say though that mine included ALL of the above and seeing that the entire boat is getting a complete resto. the floor liner came out also. I had to do that to get to the tank anyway and I was'nt about to butcher a complexly moulded section of the floor/inner liner.
The only bulkhead (rear) that holds my tank in was completely rotten so a reciprocating saw (sawzall ? ?) cut out the bulkhead and then was later used to cut the foam around the tank.

To completely access the tank took about 2 years... to actually get it out took exactly 20 minutes :)

jdsdls
01-29-2004, 03:15 PM
I had to remove the tank on my 86 Z-21. The tank did not fit out the floor hatch had to grind off one side of the flanges and then chop out all the spray in foam, good luck and be prepared for a mess.

gcarter
01-29-2004, 04:05 PM
You know...I've wanted a Donzi since the first one I ever saw while working as a young, struggling mechanical designer in Clear Lake, Texas (I'm sure Harbor Master knows what entity my employer answered to). I could barely afford a car, much less a Donzi!! Now 38 years later, I finally fulfilled that desire!!
Now this isn't the first boat I've owned, but I've got to tell you, it's the one I take the most pride in.
The last boat I owned, a twin screw sports fisherman, had two large saddle tanks, which I replaced. It was easy, remove both engines, unstrap both tanks, and drag them out (about eight feet long). That was real straight forward. In comparison, splitting the deck off a boat, on the surface, seems daunting. But I see pictures of one person accomplishing this task, so I'm sure I can do it.
Now, I'm not sure I need to do this yet. I'll find out this weekend, but I want to "count the cost" before getting into it.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help. All of you have been very forthcoming.

Deeply appreciative;
George Carter

Wildfire
01-29-2004, 06:48 PM
This may sound dramatic, but a chainsaw is the hot ticket for removing the foam. Just plunge it in and the it's like the foam is evaporating.

Here's why, the edge of the blade will not cut into the tank and the tip will bounce off the fiberglass at the bottom.

I just did this last weekend on my Magnum. One side of the tank had maybe 1/2" clearance between the tank and glass - no problems.

mphatc
01-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Go for it!

yes the task sounds immense . . but once you start it's not that bad.

Make it easy where ever you can, buy lots of beer!

If a replacement "plug in' (spec) tank is available buy it and have it ready for install.
make sure your fuel tank level sender is compatible with the new tank!

To separate the hull and deck was the most daunting for me. No real reason once I started. The joint was "glued" with silicone . . . poor use and application! More on this later! Another thread!!!
I separated the hull /deck joint with a 1" wide putty knife, took all of 10 minutes . .obviously after I removed all the rubrail screws . . .thank you Makita !!!
;)
Make sure you have disconnected everything ! If you are removing the deck from the hull entirely, then you'll need to separate the steering, engine controls and all electrics. If you are doing a bow lift , then separate your bow lifting eye and fuel fill line.

Remove the battery!!!!!

Lifting of deck . . if all you are doing is replacing the tank, lift on one end ( I suggest the bow, that's the pointed end) as we saw on another thread, heck, a block and tackle and a tree will suffice !! :D Use more than a palm tree :eek!:

Support the deck carefully! My boat is a Corsican, the crowned deck has alot of it's own strength, flat Classic decks won't!!! Be carefull. I LARGE piece of plywood with a long eyebolt through the lifting eye hold might be adequete to spread the load.

Yes the chain saw is a great tool, but most of us likely don't dare! Sweat a bit, earn that beer and use a rip saw, use a pry bar on the shallow end to start the separation / lift.

OH Almost forgot . . . .

:D :p :rolleyes:

drain or pump out the left over fuel . . . gas . .unless you have a Diesel Donzi???? then it's fuel . . . :confused: :D

Remember to take lots of pictures, especially those where the rope breaks and traps you below deck when you do this alone . . .

ROFLMAO!

I need another marguarita!

mphatc

mattyboy
01-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Wildfire
This may sound dramatic, but a chainsaw is the hot ticket for removing the foam. Just plunge it in and the it's like the foam is evaporating.

Here's why, the edge of the blade will not cut into the tank and the tip will bounce off the fiberglass at the bottom.

I just did this last weekend on my Magnum. One side of the tank had maybe 1/2" clearance between the tank and glass - no problems.

:eek!: :eek!: :eek!:
see where ya got your name from;) ;) :D

Matty

MOP
01-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Once the sides are free if the bottom is stuck a trick to try that works 90% of the time is to cap off all but the vent line then apply air pressure in short busts, the tank will flex and buckle a bit which breaks the grip the foam has on the bottom.

JimG205
01-29-2004, 09:47 PM
The best thing about this website aside from the people who make it up is the knowledge learned from our own individual experiences!

Are the tanks in all Donzi's aluminum?,steel,or a galvanized type metal?? And where are the replacements available??? Never too old to learn-and wanting to know more. Thanks,Jim ;)

MOP
01-29-2004, 10:15 PM
I have learned that from the late 80's they are platsic like mine, most all of the others were aluminum. I know two people one of which is Ralph on the board that had monel tanks. Not sure if they were earlier replacements or what, both had leaks by the rivits.