PDA

View Full Version : Oh No, A fuel Tank question

Morgan's Cloud
01-28-2004, 01:29 PM
False alarm .... No , I won't ask about installation..:D

This is about materials ! I'm not too far off from calling my friendly neighborhood tank maker for a new tank to be made for the St Tropez. He will no doubt give me a choice so I better ask you guys first.
Is there a problem with making fuel tanks out of stainless steel ?
I'm sure I've seen somewhere that the USCG does'nt certify S/S tanks for boats... but I've also read endorsements FOR them too.
There is no facilities for exotic composite materials here so it will be either S/S or aluminium.As it is a rather complex shape (bow tank) it will have to be given to the fabricator so he can duplicate it exactly (after I make a few serviceability improvements).
After it is installed it will be inaccessible so it has to be durable.

This guy does a great job and charges accordingly so it does'nt matter wether he makes it out of wax paper or platinum, I'm still going to have to break out the vaseline :eek:

Whats your take on this ?

Thanks/Steve

Lenny
01-28-2004, 02:33 PM
I don't believe a Stainless tank is allowed in a boat anymore. Polyethylene is the "leader" according to many. Aluminum would be my choice if I was you where you are.

mattyboy
01-28-2004, 02:55 PM
M C

try Forida marine tanks they might have made the original tank

www.Floridamarinetanks.com
that might save you from spending big bucks to custom made. they had the tank for my 67 16 and it ran around 300 bucks delivered.

Matty

gcarter
01-28-2004, 03:27 PM
OK... I'll bite!
How do you remove the fuel tank???
:confused: :confused:

George Carter

Morgan's Cloud
01-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Matty .. That's amazing that Florida Marine tanks still had your tank after all these years.I will go over to their site and have a peek.Without having had a look yet I should say that even if they make an EXACT replacement I still need to make some small changes in order to end up with a slightly better design.

gcarter/I'll go over to your thread to answer your question....

Seems to have been a proliferation of related questions since I posted this.Funny how it seems to be one of the dreaded 'unspoken topics' that many want to bring up :D

Steve