PDA

View Full Version : GPS??What to buy?

thriller
01-28-2004, 12:20 AM
I'm in the market for a GPS and was hoping the members could advise which one or style is best. Handheld with a mounting bracket or a fixed model. I've seen the Garmin web site but your input or thoughts would sure be appreciated. Affordability as always comes into play.
Cheers

Lenny
01-28-2004, 12:37 AM
I bought GARMIN Mike, on Bryan Tuvells' suggestion. I was told to stay away from colour due to current (battery) requirements and the fact that the colour doesn't show up worth a poop in the daytime anyway, especially in these open boats. Spend about $800 of our dollars and you are all set. Blue Charts are what they take, and the "Seattle" one will guide you from half way up the Island, both Coasts, all the way down to Oregon...

Digger
01-28-2004, 05:21 AM
My recommendation is also Garmin. I use a GPS Map 76 unit, they are around 300 bucks. I prefer handheld so I can use it on or off the boat, I have a removable mount for it on the dash. Garmin's software is very user friendly and intuitive. I have also used Garmin portable units in helicopters under severe conditions (vibration/dust/temp extremes) and they always performed well.

thriller
01-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Thanks Digger, I will look into the portables.My concern with the portables is the size being so small you can't see them under powered conditions. And with a fixed one where do you find room on the dash or lack of on a 22'? Lenny...Curious what model do you get? And why would the battery usage be a concern if you are using a fixed mount/hard wired? Also for purchasing did you buy through local distributer or did you source south of the border/
MM

JimG
01-28-2004, 08:53 AM
Garmin Etrex. Under a hundred bucks, work like a champ, almost bulletproof. No charting capabilities, but almost disposable at that price. Batteries last a long time, too. Plus the color (yellow) matches my Donzi!!:D

Lenny
01-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Mike I bought local through a dealer in Victoria named Rotec Communications.

I have this one, http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap176C/ only in B/W. If you go fixed mount then battery is not a problem.

I would investigate this one http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap172c/ with the blue chart. It will allow you to go ANYWHERE around here in a marine sense and NEVER get lost. It will come in very handy once you travel for an hour deep into the San Juan Islands. Also, it will get you back in style.

Fish boy
01-28-2004, 09:46 AM
my dad has some prety tricked out electronics on his fishing boat... and does not know how to use most of them. He now uses a handheld Garmin GPS Map76 to mark his spots and it always works. Definately recommend getting a handheld with mapping software- I have used both (w/ and w/o mapping), and both get me to where I need to go, but there is something about being to visualive the shore, inlets,...etc that is a real plus.

Fish

PS also make sure whatever you get has WAAS. latest technology and makes it much more accurate- so readily available that it does not make much sense to buy one without.

MOP
01-28-2004, 10:54 AM
I am running one of the old 128 Garmins, no WAAS and no graphic map. It is amazingly accurate, my creek is a B----- to find in the dark. I had this laying around new in the box for 2 years, was a gift but a bit big for the 16 but last season I stuck in there anyway, hit the creek dead on every time even a bit **** faced. I also have been sold on Garmin for years having had several hand helds. May think about upgrading to map, link to my old unit below which now can be bought for about $100 new.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps128/

JimG205
01-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I have a garmin gpsV in my car,could have opted to update the software but went the Etrex route mainly due to size,and waterproof capability.Garmin makes quality products. Jim:cool:

Digger
01-28-2004, 04:33 PM
My concern with the portables is the size being so small you can't see them under powered conditions

I hear you, but here is my thought on that. I'm all on board with a guy in a trawler pushing 12 kts looking long and hard at his big screen GPS. In a 22, though, powered conditions means on plane and generally hauling ass. The boat is rockin/rollin and you've got one hand on the wheel, other on the throttle, and eyes outside the boat (hopefully) The largest GPS screen available will be about unreadable in this scenario. You have to ask yourself, will you really be nav'ing off GPS while you are underway? Probably not. While you are underway most likely the only time you'll look at your GPS is to see how fast you are going. I think you will find that you'll nav off the GPS when you are sitting still or idling along at low speed, to get your bearings and see where to head. And in that case a small handheld works just fine. Save your money. There'll be other stuff to spend it on.

Rootsy
01-28-2004, 05:06 PM
I have a garmin Legend. the blue handheld. it comes with 8 megs of memory and mapping capable (upload via serial cable from PC). I have a handlebar mount that attaches to my grab railing just to the left of my steering wheel. The GPS is in plain view at nearly eye level while running. i'll see if i can dig up a photo later tonight...

The software i have is garmin's topographic mapping software but it shows shorelines and navitgation markers. NO topography of water though... Some of the bluewater charts and the fishing charts will work on this GPS but i have not tried it. kinda pricy at 100 bucks or so a pop... i have the entire Continental US on 2 cd's and i';ve used barely anything... i have the entire UP of michigan as well as part of kentucky and the LP of michigan stored on it... so it will hold a significant amount of data...

I have used this GPS at St. Clair and in Kentucky with supurb results. Batteries are 2 AA's and last about 8 hours if the backlight is not on. You can also buy a cigarette lighter cable which i have... i actually have 2 and i am going to hardwire one into my fuse strip.

The legend is WAAS capable and has a GPS compass and altimeter as well as clock, all kinds of speed, distance, yadda yadda bells and whistles...

The screen is small but i find it works for my purposes and especially for getting to and from places, etc... i went handheld because i also use it camping,. offroading and hunting...

Root

Sam
01-28-2004, 05:29 PM
I own three Garmins, give me a shout if you want details.

Sam:D

RickR
01-28-2004, 06:19 PM
I own a Garmin 126, 2x 48s and a 76S
I will never buy another Garmin product:mad:

Woodsy
01-28-2004, 07:51 PM
I have a Standard Horizon CP150 GPS on my 22 Classic (non OB). It works great! The best feature is that the unit takes the C-map chip. THis gives you incredible map resolution. The chip allows you to get DETAILED NAUTICAL maps of any area you are boating in. They have a chip for just about everywhere, including Winni, complete with markers, bouys, gas and depth soundings..

Digger was there for the install... it looks like it came from the factory...

I had a handheld Garmin... never again....

Woodsy Von Outboard... trying to figure out where to mount the GPS on a boat wihout a windshield

JimG
01-28-2004, 09:22 PM
I have a Standard Horizon unit with fuel flow on my flybridge boat, but I ALWAYS carry my trusty ETREX! (I have two VHF's, also and always carry a handheld.) You just gotta have backup! Your main unit will most likely die at the most inopportune time, like in a FOG!:o :o

thriller
01-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks for all the input. I like the idea of a handheld for multi use conditions and all you have to do is mount a bracket yet Digger's thoughts on keeping your eyes and thoughts on the water obviously make sense too! As driving ****faced at Mach 3 won't come into play, I think I am best suited with one that does the mapping to navigate through our local islands/reefs/severe tidal conditions etc. Garmin seems to lead the way and again thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.
Mike

boxy
01-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Thriller your last post just raised this question for me....
Is there a GPS made that factors tide changes into it's software ???

There isn't a whole lot of tidal activity between the Rideau River, and the St. Lawrence :D

McGary911
01-29-2004, 04:38 PM
I have a standard horizon on my go slo boat. It takes the aforementioned C-Map cartdridges. Incredible detail, and you can turn on of off various types of detail. Don't want to see fishing wrecks, turn em off. Nice to be able to make the display as simple or as complicated as you want. C-maps are about $100, but i managed to get one free with my purchase. Only thing i didnt like about the cmaps. They cover a ton of area, but they put the border between 2 of the charts right between NY and NJ. If i want to do a Hudson river run, i would need another chart chip as well. You'd think they'd put NY and NJ on 1 chip!!..

For the Donzi, i have the nice little Garmin Etrex. Works great for me. I dont want to mount it to my boat. Just use it to check speed most of the time. I want to see how fast im REALLY going. $99. Cant beat that.....

BigGrizzly
01-29-2004, 10:29 PM
I use a Lowrance in my boat and car. It can stor at least 128 meg on a chip. I have hade great luck with their products on all our boats for years. The truth is they are all good. Garmain has large line but their support need a lot of help! If I were to chose between std Horizon and Garmain I would take Horizon the are good people. Untill that time I will stick to Lowrance.

thriller
01-30-2004, 08:57 AM
I found this link to a unit From Standard/Horizon which navs include water tidal movementhttp://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?servletPath=/g2m/action/GoBPage/id/12001F&df=60

Lenny
01-30-2004, 09:31 AM
http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?servletPath=/g2m/action/GoBPage/id/12001F&df=60

boxy
01-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Cool, thanks.

Sam
01-30-2004, 09:22 PM
I've had Garmins on all my boats, knock on wood I have never had a feild failure. The only time I had to converse with their support staff was to ask questions about ordering chart chips. All of my cruising friends have them as well and they have had nothing but positive results with the product and support.

Sam