PDA

View Full Version : Help !, dumb about Imco stand-offs

Lenny
01-27-2004, 10:11 PM
I am interested in a 3" (raise) IMCO stand-off box for the bench boat. As well, as most of you know, these drives are set back an additional 12" from stock so clean water is available. What I DON'T understand, is,...looking at the mount for the transom assembly, between 0" raise and 3" inches raise, the rear motor mount is that much higher. If you raise the leg 3", but in effect, raise the motor 3" and thus the C of G, what is the point???

Can the IMCO 3" raise stand off box leave the motor in the stock (14 9/16" X-dimension) stringer location and thus keep the C of G low?

Otherwise (if the answer is no) why is it available? when you could just put on a 0" one and raise the X-dim by 3"?

What am I am I missing here? (other than the obvious stuff :rolleyes: )

I want to accomplish a stock stringer location for a 377, but end up with a drive 3" high on the transom and back 12" into the clean water. (p.s. I also have a 6" notch to apply to this so the water should be even better)

By the way, Scot Van A. I want to know if you want to sell one of your two??? They are $880. new retail, either 3" or 0"..Interested???

Ranman
01-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by MadPoodle
You don't raise the engine.. The driveshaft compensates for the height difference..

That was not my understanding. I was under the impression that you still have to raise the engine. Woodsy may be able to shed some light on this. I think he had planned to do this project (pre-outboard days) and scrapped the idea when he found out he would have to raise the engine and deal with all the clearance issues.

Another thing to think about Lenny is that a 3" X lift at the transom is not the same as a 3" X lift 12" behind the transom. This is because the water coming out from under the boat is heading back to the surface (on an angle). By putting the prop 12" behind the boat it is naturally in deeper water. This means that a 3" X lift from 12" behind the transom is similar to say a 1" X lift at the transom since you've set the prop out in deeper water to start with. Make sense?.

Lenny
01-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Yes Randy, that logic makes sense. Poodle, I can't afford ITS anytime soon. Read that ANYTIME soon...

I don't see how you raise the drive 3" and leave the motor in the same location in the stringers and not have a HORRENDOUS alignment issue with the driveshaft. I can't understand the 3" lift thing yet...As Randy states, if you gave to raise the engine 3" then why not stay with the "stock 0" IMCO and raise the X dim 3"???

Ranman
01-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Lenny,

My guess is simply so that you don't have to fill the cutout and re-cut the transom 3" higher. The rear mounts are obviously higher. By using the 3" extension box you can simply raise the X dimension (motor and drive) and use the standard transom cutout. In this scenario, the new, longer, input shaft of the drive passes through the "big hole" 3" higher than before. If you are cutting the transom for the first time, the 3" setup may still be beneficial since you can cut the transom in the standard location and go back to that if the 3" up X dim doesn't do what you want.

Also notice that since the long shafts in the pic are straight and thus must enter the coupler straight. This means the coupler and drive are not "staggered" with the 3" made up by having the shaft on an angle per Poodles suggestion.

http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/images2/14b.jpg

MOP
01-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Not knowing much about these extentions but having seen one over at CDMA's. He had a spacer that went between the drive and the gimble housing that moved the drive back about 6 inches. Don't quote me but I thought he said in effect it was like raising the drive X dimension up, when you trimed it being further back made it raise higher with less shaft angle. One of you guys must know what this item is.

Voodoocanoe
01-28-2004, 11:04 AM
If you don't want to alter the original engine location use a Stellings adjustable standoff box.

Lenny
01-28-2004, 11:20 AM
MOP, what you saw a Chris's I believe was a Land and Sea Stern Jack. The extension box he has is for the Arneson ASD#6 on the 22 so as to house a BAM tranny. The Stern Jack has the effect of the IMCO only shorter in length and extended rams. What scares me is the "new" loading applied to the hydralics on the ALPHA or Bravo in that case as well as it only being 6" ( :eek: did I say that ? :eek: ) The IMCO allows for all this stuff to keep original parameters and the add-on hydralic steering ram is a nice touch for minimal money. (well, fairly minimal)

Thanks Lee, I will look at that shortly. Stellings.

MOP
01-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks Lenny yup thats what I was talking about, maybe think about the BH drive. I am mounting mine at the Alpha X which will leave just the gear case and skeg below the hull, ending up pretty short. I don't want to do the transom over yet as I still have A drive visions dancing in my head. I have all the parts to go either way just taking the easy way out for this season, besides would rather use a ZF than the Borg I have. I lost the most of winter not getting my canvas shelter till last week, so will be modifying plans for this season.

Lenny
01-28-2004, 01:51 PM
OK, git it, BUT, I can't find a site or info or pricing on what Stellings has to offer, who sells it, andwhat it costs. Anyone have a link?

Also, here is a link that describes the benefits quickly with the Stellings over IMCO. Don's mile High 18 to be exact.

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread/t-15452.html

Ranman
01-28-2004, 03:23 PM
I want to know how the Stellings can raise the X dim without raising the motor. Please post if anyone has any info on this.

Lenny
01-28-2004, 05:35 PM
So Mr. Poodle, how do I find a link to them. Stellings ???

Woodsy
01-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Lenny...

The IMCO's boxes REQUIRE you to raise the engine by 3". They accomplish this by different motot mounts and a different transom bracket. The best part about the Imco is that it requires no additional transom work. The down side is that you HAVE to have hydraulic steering. They are a pretty good design for the money.

It is my understanding, that the Stellings boxes are not adjustable either. I could be mistaken on this, but I stopped researching them when I saw the price tags.. they are PRICEY. I forget the number I saw for them, but I think it was in the 5K range, and you needed to get hydraulic steering on top of that... OUCH!

The ITS is probably your best bet. By the time you spend the $$ for the Imco and the additional $$ for the hydraulic steering, will be mighty close to the cost of a Merc ITS. I know Bam and most of the big Merc retailers sell them at signifigant discounts.

Woodsy Von Outboard.... Agreeing with Poodle again? I mustn't be feeling well... :D :D