PDA

View Full Version : Alpha drive

gcarter
01-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Can someone explain how to cosmetically restore an Alpha drive?

George Carter

Rootsy
01-27-2004, 08:48 PM
if it was me... and not everyone does things the same... this is what i'd do...

depending upon condition i'd strip it to bare aluminum no matter what... either by sanding, wire wheeling or by abrasive blasting it... just get all paint and primer and corrosion OFFFFFF!!!!!

i would then blow the heck out of it with compressed air and go over it with laquer thinner and then grease/wax remover...

i would then smooth out any imperfections such as pitting or wavyness (which ihope there would be none unless someoen got carreid away)... with a good body filler such as "pink icing", duraglass or microballoons... block it down with a flat block wrapped in a 120 then 240 grit paper and finally feather it with 400...

next i would once again blow it off and wipe it down thoroughly with grease and wax remover...

next comes the fun part... tack it off and don't get finger prints on it or anything else...

mask the propshaft and u-joints/input shaft...

hang the drive...

wipe down again with grease and wax remover and tack it

shoot it with 2 full wet coats of DPLF epoxy primer... i think dplf 40 is the number i am lookin for... the green gray variety.. i have been told it contains a greater amount of chromate... i like black generally DPLF 90...

once that has cured tack it again and spray it with PPG DCC Concept Black... 2 - 3 coats...

i prefer an HVLP gun for both of these applications but that is just me... read and follow PPG's directions religiously for mixing and application... it'll turn out better than new.. and last longer if you take care of it...

once it has cured for a day or so apply your decals that you can buy at your local merc dealer

add new zincs and away ya go... now this is for a non permenant immersion situation...

gcarter
01-27-2004, 09:10 PM
WOW!!!
That's a really sanitary boat. Step by step, just what I wanted.
Thanks.

Next question, the tape that is used to trim the center stripe, is there anything unusual about it? Most of my hull is in reasonably good condition, however I am going to have to do extensive repairs on the engine hatch, I was wondering what to use?

The final question is; remembering from the days when I was job shopping for Hydramatic in the mid 80's, I know approximately where you live. Do you work at the Chelsea proving grounds?

Thanks again;
George Carter

Rootsy
01-27-2004, 09:23 PM
i work in battle creek for DENSO... and the center stripe is gelcoat if your boat ahs not been repainted.. depending upon year the striping on the side will either be paint or tape... the tape can be aquired at your nearest painter supply or other paint supplier outlet... wherever the body shops get their materials from in your area...

oh yeah that PPG DPLF and DCC Concept is tough as nails... you'll have a couple of hundred in paint, primer and respective catalysts...

quart of DPLF and a quart of DCC will be plenty to do the drive... and have leftover...

gcarter
01-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks again Rootsy!!!
You have been extremely helpful!

George Carter