PDA

View Full Version : Super Important!

MOP
01-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Just got off the phone with my insurance man, his computer network got wiped out yesterday. They have a very strict rule not to open any attachments! The mother company mailed him to expect a file from them, when it came he made absolutely sure it was from them. Moral it blew up his whole office network, so no matter who it is from don't click on any attachments you may end up screwing a friend or Biz Assoc by accident. Everyone one must learn how to Cut & Paste! Attaching files should be avoided by all cost.

Ranman
01-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Everyone one must learn how to Cut & Paste! Attaching files should be avoided by all cost.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

harbormasterextra
01-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Sorry Phil but Your insurance man had it coming.

Its very simple.

You guyz Load Norton Antivirus on your computer and run live update at least once a week to keep your virus definitions up to date. The virus definitions tell the software what virus(s) to look for. If you do not update it you might as well not even have it loaded. There is nothing wrong with attachments. As a courtesy, Just send your folks an email before hand letting them know its coming.
Simple as that.

Do this and I can guarantee that you will not have problems

rickrsbro
01-27-2004, 10:20 AM
norton has saved me about 8 times in the last year, but the swines want you to buy the software/subscription (29.95) AND then charge you again to download it (7.95). they should just charge 39.95 and not gouge.

when in doubt, delete.

mikev
01-27-2004, 10:35 AM
dont pay for Norton download free avg antivirus it is much faster has free updates and works great here is the link.

free avg (http://www.grisoft.com)

Fish boy
01-27-2004, 11:15 AM
with MOP, and definately with Harbormaster. There are lots of good AV software products out there, but having tried a few, Norton is a clear winner IMHO. Yes there is a cost associated with it, but you get what you pay for. I reciever 1 or 2 virues a week through spam (mostly bugbear32 lately). It scans the email as it comes in and disables or deletes before it hits my in box. Also scans as it goes out so you are not passing it along to others.

Lots of new viruses everyday, and I would rather be with the leader than suffer the cost of losing my data, hard drive crash,...etc.

Not disrespecting any other product, but having worked in an IT enviorment for a few years, I have seen too many horror stories to be penny wise and dollar foolish. Just my $.02

MOP
01-27-2004, 01:42 PM
I think all of the name brand AV's do a good job, my guy is running Norton with thier firewall, he still got nailed. I run Computer Associated AV which honest updates some times 3 time daily but for sure atleast once. I checked my log I got 21 updates since the 22nd. I left my machine on while I was out today, about 2 hours, I had 7 new attached mails from who knows who. NY area is getting hit very hard from one of my tech articles supposedly it has been traced to Pakistan. As far as what I feel are trusted attachments I do a save as to disc and AV the disc.

mikev
01-27-2004, 01:47 PM
working in IT myself we have switched several of our enterprise customers over to the AVG software and it functions just as well as norton and the free version is great for home. they send out virus definition updates several times a week. we have not had any virus issues for over a year and a half. if you have mcafee virus software update it asap it is the worst one out there.

mattyboy
01-27-2004, 01:52 PM
I transfer communications software 20 to 100 mb files all day long in emails and web sites I use norton and have never had a problem
MOP if you left your pc on and it recieved new emails that is a big problem. ALL email programs should have check for new emails every so often disabled!!! only manual recieve and send and also in outlook express there is a option to have the email being previewed for more than so long automatically opened another NO NO. I did have problems at home but that was due to the kids now they know better.

Matty

MOP
01-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Matty I leave mine set for 20 minute checks, I am in sales so I need to respond quickly or someone esle will get them. I very rarely open any emails I view in the veiw pane then print if I need them otherwise just dump them. So far I have been lucky this thing was last loaded 4/10/98 still running 98 1st edition with what ever patch's.

mattyboy
01-27-2004, 02:30 PM
MOP manual sending recieving will not slow response times just check every 20 minutes, when you get back to the pc then check emails and respond I don't trust anything automatic,
or dance the dance just be ready to pay the fiddler!
and firewalls are great til they burn!!!!

Matty

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
01-27-2004, 02:56 PM
We got hit with the virus yesterday. Got it when I opened a zip file. The worm virus uses a subject line stolen from e-mails you've already gotten to disguise itself as something familiar. Make sure the body of the e-mail is something you understand before you open up any attachments.
We had to download the latest McAfee update in order to clean it, but the update did get it out.

FR:p

gcarter
01-27-2004, 03:23 PM
A way to cut the cost of Norton, is to buy it on eBay. Someone is allways selling it for $16.95, and I usually get six or seven copies for all my computers. Really takes the sting out.

George Carter

Fish boy
01-27-2004, 03:54 PM
I am sure everyone that responded in this thread already knows this, but there may be a few reading that do not:

Just because you recognize the person who sent the email, does not necessarily mean that:

1) they are running current AV software and therefore the email is safe- it may still contain a virus.

2) that they even sent the email or know that it was sent. Some worms are self replicating and can send themselves out to everyone in your address book from you without you ever knowing. they then do the same thing to every address book that recieves the email and so on, and so on...

Point is, only opening things from people you know is about as safe as the "rythm method" eventually you will get a suprise in the inbox ;)

MikeV- thanks for the info on AVG, I will definately keep that in mind.

Fish

mikev
01-27-2004, 04:10 PM
one other thing is to turn off the preview pane because when an email is in the preview pane it is opened and can release a virus so turn this feature off.

boxy
01-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Phil, you're punched. Nice blanket statment... :rolleyes:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I echo NORTONS too, it caught the new worm that is out this week, it auto updates releases as they are developed, cheap for $19.95 renewal..... We also just started using their SPAM BLOCKER, once it tracks a few it stops all. We have had NO spam for the last two years, then one day I get some, they say hitting the "unsubscribe" is a trick.... so we get spam now, but DID NOT want to change my email address, so SPAM BLOCKER it was.

FREE 2 week trial on the SYMANTEC.COM web site.
I was skeptical but it really works, it is now on all three of our computers.... NO MORE SPAM.

Bryan