PDA

View Full Version : What Is This Purple Wire?

RedDog
01-26-2004, 08:11 PM
While crawling under the deck near the helm of the 22 Classic (502 MPI) I came across a loose wire. It was purple, had a crimped on screw lug, and a small "18" on a tag. I don't think the "18" meant wire gauge as other wires had similar labels with sequential numbers. As far as I know everything works - I wonder what this wire might be for?

rickrsbro
01-26-2004, 08:17 PM
hour meter?

Donzigo
01-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Here's a link to a place that gives all the colors of the wiring codes for marine engines. I hope it helps.

http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page101.html

MOP
01-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Purple is ignition feed, in the old code it was trim sender and trailer switch.

Rootsy
01-26-2004, 08:32 PM
if memory is serving me correctly in the dead of winter half frozen... the purple wire is DC "hot" for all of the gauges.... my 16 has em piggybacked from gauge to gauge...

RedDog
01-26-2004, 08:47 PM
I'll explore further once i have a battery re-installed.

Hour meter is in engine compartment, guages all work, trailer / trim / indicator gauge all work with purple wire loose

mattyboy
01-26-2004, 08:57 PM
could it be for some kind of optional equipment that the boat doesn't have??? docking lights or a remote control light??? just a thought, or an under deck light???

Matty
many wires loose:rolleyes:

boldts
01-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Tim, on my 22 (98), purple is the hot wire to all your accesories. I also found that the purple wire coming off the key if disconected will let the engine turn over, but not allow spark to the distributor. While my boat is in storage, I disconnect that purple wire to keep anyone from messing with my engine. Best guess would be like already mentioned, it's an extra hot wire for a gauge or accessory not on your boat.

Ed Donnelly
01-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Wild guess. Dash mounted hour meter gauge. Since yours is in the engine compartment,it is not used. Hook up a meter and see if you have 12v only when the ignition switch is on. One day I might actually have a right answer...Ed

blackhawk
01-27-2004, 03:30 PM
RedDog, does your alarm sound when you turn the key on? IF I remember correctly my alarm was unhooked from my keyswitch and it was a purple wire with a piggyback on it.

RedDog
01-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by blackhawk
RedDog, does your alarm sound when you turn the key on? IF I remember correctly my alarm was unhooked from my keyswitch and it was a purple wire with a piggyback on it.

Yep