PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

Drydock
01-26-2004, 06:35 PM
As the name says, I haven't owned a boat since 1975, but I've had a desire to own a Donzi since the first time I saw one back in the late 60's. I've spent the last few years with motorcycles and cars and would really like to get back into this by finally owning a Donzi.

I've been around boats since dear ol' dad gave my brother and I a 4 hp Elto motor on an old fishing scow when I was 4 yrs old. I grew up with Scott Atwater, Mercury (my father worked for Kiekaefer when he bought Thor motors), Martin, Evinrude, and Johnson outboards. I've owned outboard "Utility", "A" (very young, a lot lighter), "C", and class "D" (square tank Johnson with a gardenhose gasline) racing boats, a lot of outboard powered runabouts, and one Graymarine powered, steel hulled antique that couldn't get out of its own way.

I won't bother you with a lot of aimless drivel about myself as its not too interesting and I'm here to learn about Donzi boats and hopefully buy one eventually.

I just thought I'd let you know that I'm lurking out here and may pop a question in here and there.

Fish boy
01-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi Drydock,
Welcome to the donzi registry. Definately chose the right boat and came to the right place to find out more. I have been around boats all my life as well, and pretty familiar with donzi, however, I had no idea how much I did not know until I got here. Great group of extremely knowledgable people so please do not be afraid to ask any question- definately no such thing as a dumb question here since I have already lowered the bar to its lowest possible point. LOL

Glad to have you aboad,

Fish

PS don't pass up the opportunity to go to any of the events, or get in touch with other donzi owners near you- you will find out just how much of a family this really is and see a lot of incredible boats :)

Digger
01-26-2004, 08:25 PM
welcome aboard Drydock! Don't worry, lots of us specialize in aimless drivel because its fun.

Echo Fish's sentiments... your life has just gotten better.

have fun!

boldts
01-26-2004, 08:42 PM
As already mentioned by others, Welcome to the Donzi Registry DryDock. I owned a Donzi for 13 years and didn't have any idea of the boat's history until I found this website. The folks here are the best at letting you know whatever you may need to know. They can be opinionated at times, but don't take that the wrong way. The only dumb question, is the question not asked.

I'm sure like many others, I hope to have the opportunity to meet you and help in any way I can. If you get the chance, check the calendar and try to attend one of the many gatherings. There is no better way to decide which Donzi you really want than by experiencing the different models at a gathering. Good luck in your hunt for the perfect Donzi for you!

MOP
01-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Drydock all I can do is echo the welcome, glad to have you aboard sounds like you've been there done that :cool: By chance was that an old Steel Craft cabin cruiser?

Tomahawk
01-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Hello Drydocked - welcome aboard. Wow, a Scott Attwater, the motor that bails your boat as you run it. Pretty handy in it's era. With your background, you should enjoy this group. Try to make an event if you can and get out of drydock soon with a Donzi !

HyperDonzi
01-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Dont be afraid of us, ask as many questions as you want!!

When I first started hanging out on this board I knew the difference between a cat and a v, that was about it. I didnt even know about reproping with more power!!

Wecome,
Tommy

Drydock
01-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome