PDA

View Full Version : secret skunkworks photo revealed!

Digger
01-26-2004, 03:18 PM
secret photo reveals a boat taking shape in the Chesapeake VA skunkworks.... stay tuned ;)

Fish boy
01-26-2004, 04:38 PM
hummmm... wonder what those folks at skunkworks are up to? :wink:

Digger
02-03-2004, 05:05 PM
I've always really liked the 28 Sportsman, something about the in-your-face aggressive styling gets me. I was thinking it would be cool if Donzi were to build a new version, a somewhat updated look but still true to the original idea. This is what I had in mind. I'll get to the plan view next, which will show an aggressive flare in the bow (think Hornet and St Tropez). Then I'll do a preliminary set of lines. It will probably be closer to 30 ft than 28. will probably weigh around 7-8k lbs. Not sure yet. Once I have a set of lines I'll work up some preliminary numbers. What do you guys think? (sorry about crappy image quality, the dig cam I have is not cutting it)

mphatc
02-03-2004, 08:25 PM
very cool!

A big Corsican!!! Yes . . .

mphatc

ToonaFish
02-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Hmmh, let's see if I'm getting a grip on this photo software thingie...

Fish boy
02-04-2004, 07:25 AM
Love the lines digger, very classic, sleek, and donziesque.

mirageboats
01-21-2006, 11:03 PM
The idea of a modern Sportsman 28 is awesome. It would kind of follow the same trend as a lot of the custom hot rod's and cars of the 'retrotech approach, thats is to have aclassic older style body but with all the modern running gear and technology. There are two Sportsman 28's down here in Australia. One is an original sterndrive powered boat which I'm guessing may originally have had big blocks. The owner has just spent mega $'s modernizing the cockpit with bulkheads and built in sinks and coolers and the cabin with a modern vacuum toilet and shower, the whole boat has been painted in oyster white awlgrip. It looks very impressive, I'll try to get some pics and post them for you guys. The other is a vee drive inboard which originally had a pair of Ford Intercepter big block single turbo engines in it, but not long after it was changed to big block Chev LS7's as it remains today. It was imported down here late 60's or early 70's by Arnold Glass who used to be a serious offshore racer in a Cigarette who raced against Don Aronow and the other big boys in the USA in the 70's. The boat is now very sad and has been sitting in the back corner of a fibreglass repair factory in Sydney for the last 7 or so years half stripped and begging for someone crazy like me to take it on as a project.

Lenny
01-22-2006, 02:00 AM
Let's see, those line drawings and all, and then Poodle bringing it to the top after 2 years of silence.

Some things are starting to make more sense now Scott... ;)

Mercrewser
01-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Nothing about it makes sense to me. I'm guess I'm learning an important lesson in PATIENCE.:smash:

Howa bout brother man?

http://www.earlesdesigns.com/poodles/hersheyandbiancabig.jpg