PDA

View Full Version : Drive showers?

Kikwear
01-24-2004, 04:22 PM
I searched but found nothing. I just got back from the boat show and there were a couple of types there. I got home and searched and found Imco and Simrek. Any ideas or comments?

Pros/cons of Imco-style cap setup http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/images/drsh109s.jpg over the Simrek http://www.driveshowers.com/summit.jpg ?

MOP
01-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Do a search there have been several very good posts on showers.

Donzigo
01-24-2004, 07:43 PM
I have the Simrek, seems to work well. I think they are both good.

So, which shape is best? Square or Round ??????

Kikwear
01-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by MOP
Do a search there have been several very good posts on showers.

Originally posted by Kikwear
I searched but found nothing.

Like I said, I searched "drive shower" & "drive showers" and came up with nothing. If you can help, please do. I know the server has changed but has all the past information?

MOP
01-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Hi sorry just tried it myself not sure why they are not coming up, I have not run one but will being doing something next season. There are a few opinons all of which have some merit one way or another. Some say they cost you some top end due to cold oil ans the slight drag the pickups make. Some say no need for them just run good synthetic oil. I will be running Red Line oil and I will be trying to figure out piping the drive P/U water up to the top of the case, I will be using a transom P/U for the engine so the drive hopefully will water cool itself.

Sam
01-25-2004, 06:28 PM
I have the Simrek, it was easy to install and does what it was intened to do. I've checked my drive after a hard run and it was cool to the touch. No chalk on the drive either.

Sam

Kikwear
01-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Just got an email from Simrek who said they are marketing a new "Super Summit" shower that matches the 11 holes that the Halo has.

Good news for all us Alpha owners.

gcarter
01-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi Phil (MOP),
I was reading my drive manual, and it said when using a heat exchanger, the drive pump water output is simply allowed to run back into the water. That pump output could easily be used for a drive shower, or, like we've discussed before, remove the impellor and let the water flow through on its own.

George Carter
P.S.
Who knows how to cosmetically restore a Mercruiser outdrive? Paint or what have you?