PDA

View Full Version : To Fill or Not to Fill

FJB20
09-17-2002, 01:20 PM
Lot of Different Opinions -- Do You Fill the Tank Before Winter Storage or Run It Down to Almost Empty ?? Do You Add Stabelizer or Not -- Going in Storage in a Couple of Weeks THANX!!!!!!!!!!

BigGrizzly
09-17-2002, 01:29 PM
Always use fuel stabelizer, filling the tank keeps moisture from condensing in the air space during temp changes at storage. The origional reason being old tanks were steel.

PaulO
09-17-2002, 02:01 PM
Most importantly, never fill for the winter with gas containing alcohol which will absorb water and corrode your tank. The problem is that most gasoline these days contains some alcohol especially in the winter months.
PaulO

tailwind
09-17-2002, 07:54 PM
Hi folks:

Another great topic posted, even though we have rather mild winters here in the great State of MS. Previous posts: "Big Grizz" etc spelled the routine in a most effective way:

1. Always top your tank off to avoid condensation - most important - in any climate except maybe Arizona.

2. Always employ a fuel stabilizer, even within the useable period.

If you anticipate your down time exceeding 4 to 6 months, I think the following applicable:

1. Follow the above (2) steps and:

2. Take your Donzi back to the water, and run it for at least 20 to 30 minutes, in order to
make sure that this "stabilized" fuel has completely saturated both the fuel filter and carb, or
fuel injection completely.

3. To be foolproof, no pun intented, trailer your Donzi to the closest GA Airport, and fill up
with 100LL. (100 Octane, Low Lead). Av Fuel is formulated in a different manner, and will last for periods over 12 months. Having experience in the Alaskan bush, I have seen AC put up for over 10 months, and crank up on the first or second blade !

4. Run it again, no with worries!

Randy

MOP
09-17-2002, 11:08 PM
I no longer believe in filling the fuel tanks, in fact I stongly believe in draining the system after winterizing and also draining the carb. Taping over the vent and taping plastic over the carb bore. This will completely eliminate any alcohol deterioration, gumming of the carb. And lets you start off with brand new fuel in the spring. If your fuel filters have been showing up with junk its a very good time to clean your tank or tanks that will really give you a fresh trouble free spring.