PDA

View Full Version : holey boat, batman

Harley Dave
04-21-2003, 12:21 PM
I'm looking for your thoughts and advice regarding correctly repairing a sizable hole in the side of my (new project) 1995 22 classic. This prize was run aground, has a hole and 4 other bad spots, although not through. I am wondering what types of materials some of you might have tried to make the same types of repairs.

Tidbart
04-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Harley,
I would ask this in the performance section. You will get plenty of replies.

Tidbart

Sorry about the boat.

MOP
04-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Can you shot a couple of photos, or be a little more specific. Without seeing or good a explnation hard to offer advice. I will say that any fractured areas must be ground out till you get rid of any whitened glass, the whitening shows the delam you need to grind out ward from the area to be repaired about 5-6 inches in an even tappering manor. You probably have to cut some areas out, which will need backing to apply the new glass. I usualy use formica as you can fool around and get it shaped by blocking it into position. I use a hot glue gun and lots of wood stips to get the shape right, it does not need to be ral strong, you will only be laying glass onto it. I use a garbage bag streched over the glass side and spray it with PAM steal some from your other half, make sure you do not contaminate your ground area with the PAM. Resin I think the best for most is ME400 though alot of the guys use West System both are quite good. Glass is glass you will need some Mat, cloth and roven woven. Also it is important not to make the repair resin sick, meaning you need a resin roller to roll out extra resin, the glass needs good saturation and good contact unto its self. To much resin makes a weak job. On the big stuff start with the mat it is the tooth to get a grip then the roven woven and finally the cloth. You may want to see if you have a good glass guy in you area, most will give you tips or you may choose to get him to do the job especialy the gel coat.