PDA

View Full Version : Freeport/Galveston fishing?????

Wildfire
01-03-2003, 07:06 AM
Besides just boating for boatings sake, sometimes we like to do some fishing. We've been going down to Surfside, TX for the last couple of years and are planning a trip for the first weekend in February. Problem is, we don't know what the seas and fishing are like that time of year.

Anybody got any advice or know any captains willing to charter on the cheap?

harbormaster
01-03-2003, 08:47 AM
I have a buddy of mine who has a very nice 23 foot Century Offshore fishing boat who takes out people all the time from Freeport for offshore fishing. His boat is rigged nicely for offshore fishing.

He would probably be available to take you out fishing.

Team Jefe
01-03-2003, 09:03 AM
Wildfire, Freeport is our wet-up site of choice, but fishing in the winter is pretty "iffy". The biggest problem is the weather. Right now seas are at about 3 feet and look good for the next few days, but then it goes to 5-7 feet, no fun at all. check out the NWS bouy information. There is one 60 miles south of Freeport that I use to make my decisions about heading out.

Second thing is that the big game fish have headed south, so you'll be looking for Red Snapper mostly, and the season is closed in Federal waters.

My suggestion is to wade fish at teh mouth of the Brazos river in Freeport. You don't need a boat, but you will need waders (I think you can rent some in Freeport???).

If you want to make an offshore run, I'd be happy to take you, but I think you'll be spending money on a boat ride more so than fishing. I'd be happy to go with you to the Brazos River as well.

JEFE

Wildfire
01-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Your comments and a few charter captains have prompted us to postpone our trip until early April with a return trip in October (which we hear is the right time to be there).

BTW, anybody ever hear of Bridge Bait and Tackle in Surfside. That is where we hang out (drink beer) in the evenings when we are down there.

JimG
01-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Wildfire, you bet we've heard of it! We made several boat trips to Bridge Harbor Yacht Club this past summer. That's one of our favorite destinations. Ever eat at Captain Ken's? The owner will send a driver over to pick you up! Great food!

I think I feel a summertime get-together coming! Meet at BHYC on a Friday night, eat and party. Fish Saturday, motor home on Sunday!!

JimG

Wildfire
01-04-2003, 09:04 AM
Sounds like a plan.

We have dinner and lunch at Captain Ken's and the bar that used to be called the Porthole. Since it is just guys, we get a room in one of the cheap hotels or last time we stayed in the A-frames on the beach.

We are now shooting for sometime in April or maybe for the crawfish boil around Memorial Day?

harbormaster
01-04-2003, 09:09 AM
I'll be there! Just tell me when.

Wildfire
01-04-2003, 05:54 PM
I'll restart this post when we get closer to coming down.

Hoo-Rah - gonna be a good time for sure!