PDA

View Full Version : Avatars?

Fish boy
03-10-2003, 11:23 AM
More and more, i see various sorts of animation on the avatars that members have. They are really cool, and I cannot seem to figure out how to do it. anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fish

Budmann
03-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Don't feel bad fish man, I"m still having trouble posting pics. I guess I should have finished those computer courses!

Formula Jr
03-10-2003, 01:34 PM
First you need to find or make an animated gif file. These are of the format .GIFa, but you don't have to add the a to the extension as the browser can tell what kind of gif file it is. The file contains all the frames of the animation, the speed of animation, loop values, brackground values etc. There are shareware gif animators on various software download sites on the web. Here is an animated gif with about 6 frames.
http://www.epud.net/~owen/henry2.gif
Each frame started out as a .jpg format photo. I then minimized the size, color table used and the pixel density to get the final set as small a file as possible. I then used a Graphics Program to convert all the .jpg files to gif files. You can see I didn't get the individual photos centered correctly. Then I inported this set of gifs into an animation program, set the header values - loop, delay, refresh background values, etc. and saved it as an animation gif file. You then upload the gif to your own web server or to donzi.net's photos section. In the avatar address field you use the same img command with the url address in the same way you would display a gif anywhere else. With alot of people now added animation though, us modem bound folks now have long page refresh times so I personally have turned the avatars off in my profile section. .

<small>[ March 10, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Formula Jr ]</small>

Fish boy
03-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Owen,
thanks for the advice, I will give this a try.

Jody

Doug G
03-10-2003, 07:06 PM
You lost me after "First....." :rolleyes: :confused:

Formula Jr
03-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Anyway, ask away guys, cause its always a fun challenge to see if I can find the words necessary to expedite a good explaination.. wink