PDA

View Full Version : Awesome trout fishing trip.......

Stix Magill
04-06-2003, 10:03 PM
I just got back from an awesome trout fishing trip in Ashville North Carolina and I am stoked. I hired a guide from the outfitter "Hunter Banks" in Ashville and I can't begin to tell you how great the experience was. I have hired guides all over the western hemisphere and I have had none better than Kenny at Hunter Banks. I fished with Kenny on Tuesday in somewhat adverse conditions and caught A LOT of trout, rainbows, brook, and browns. Kenny has an awesome boat rig with inflatable raft, rigid and air filled bottom, fishing chairs and leaning posts. We fished nymphs, streamers and dry flys. No fish on the dry flies (it's a little early), but they were all over the nymphs and scuds under indicators. The streamers were productive as well.
The second day, Wednesday, Kenny and I took my father, Ed, who is in his 70's. The conditions were a little better and we were able to adjust from what we had learned the day before. My father is a great fisherman, but new to flyfishing. Kenny quickly helped him get the hang of it, positioned the boat near the feeding lanes, and BOOM! My father caught about 50 trout in 7 hours. I caught aroung 60 or 70 on flies and spinning gear.

Listen, I don't get excited easily. This outfit, Hunter Banks, has their act together. Ask for Kenny if he is available, but I think all their guides are top notch. The retail employees also were 100%. They were willing and eager to help me rig my new fly rod, line, leader, etc., and direct me to a great stream to wade and fish (monday, 4 nice rainbows).

If you fish and want to know more, email me at stixmagill@hotmail.com. You may not be able to shut me up!

Still smiling,
Scott Smith
"Stix Magill" http://www.donzi.net/photos/stixmagill.trout.1.jpg

<small>[ April 06, 2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Stix Magill ]</small>

RedDog
04-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Hey Stix, I'm going to Ashville for a long weekend in 2 weeks. Fishing may be a good plan while the Boss is touring Biltmore. What River did your fish - French Broad? Are the waters wadeable rather than fishing from a boat? What would a non-residential license cost I assume they have a 1 day/3 day type of option?

waleyetwo
04-07-2003, 02:07 PM
looks like you had a great time i'm getting ready for salmon season.now if we can get rid off the ice.

Stix Magill
04-07-2003, 06:06 PM
RedDog,

I waded the west fork of the Pigeon one day and drifted the "Tuk" or Tukasegee. I would definitely go by Hunter banks and get a recommendation and pick up the hot flies of the moment. The Davidson is also fishing well. Allow an hour to reach any of these from downtown Ashville. The Davidson is finess fishing with size 18 to 24. The Tuk is a little less pressured, but harder to wade. Be sure to get a flow report on the Tuk if you go there. It is tailwater and they will release water on you. Can be dangerous.
The guys at Hunter Banks put me on fish every day and I highly recommend you see them the day before you go. They will give you directions and sell you a 3 day lisence and trout stamp, $25.00.

Good Luck!

Scott Smith