PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Sarasota/Southern FL Area

RICPAZ
01-22-2004, 08:26 AM
You guys have helped me out a lot with many of my Donzi questions so I figured I'd ask this as well.

My company is relocating to Tulsa, OK in April but my fiancee and I decided not to go. We currently live in Connecticut on Long Island Sound and I don't think we can give up the ocean and the beaches (and boating) to go live in the midwest. We have always wanted to live in southern Florida so I figure this is our chance. I've been looking for jobs in southern Fl (even sent my resume to Donzi) but haven't found anything yet. I think when most companies see my current address in CT they lose interest because they don't want to offer relocation. Anyways, this is our plan: If I can't find a job within the next month then I will quit my current job and we'll move down to the Sarasota area in late March and then do my job search from there. It's a little risky and scary but we think it's worthwhile to finally get to live in FL. Sarasota/Naples/Fort Myers/Fla Keys are our first choices but we're open to anywhere in southern FL on the east or west coast.

If anyone here knows any company that is hiring, knows a good head-hunter, or has any ideas for me it would be much appreciated. By the way, I have a chemical engineering degree with 6 years experience, mostly in sales/marketing and sales management at an industrial manufacturing company. I'm pretty open to what I want to do as long as I can live in southern FL. I would love to get into the boating/marine industry. You can write back here, e-mail me at rpazik@optonline.net or call me at 203-645-0456. Hopefully see some of you in Florida soon!

Thanks again!
Rich

Surfer
01-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Rich, for what its worth, I just read an artical in Inc. magazine, West Palm Beach was number 2 and the Fort Lauderdale area was number 3 in an wildly growing job market. Not much chemical opportunities, but sales in real estate is huge. The economy is great down here. Rich

olemissalum
01-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Thought you were relocating to the Mobile area?? Did that fall through??

RICPAZ
01-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Yeah, the Mobile thing didn't work out. My current company pretty much screwed me over with the Mobile position. Since I now decided I'm gonna leave the company and start a new job, or maybe a new career, I figure I might as well do it in the place where I always wanted to live - southern Florida. The keys would be ideal but I can't imagine being able to get a job there! That would be my dream. After the keys I don't mind living in Miami - Lauderdale area or the west coast from Naples to Tampa. It's gonna be a busy and stressful couple of months for me. I can't beleive I'm gonna go from making a good salary to possibly nothing for a while. But I think (hope) it will be worth it in the end when I finally get established in Florida. Am I crazy for doing this???

-Rich

Cuda
01-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Nobody on their death bed said, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office". Go for it man!

Fish boy
01-22-2004, 07:09 PM
IMHO, definately not crazy doing something you have always wanted to do. In no time you will be asking youself why you did not do it sooner... as you watch the beautiful florida sunset and relax in paradise :D

Fish

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples97.jpg

RICPAZ
01-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! All I see out my window here is dirty snow, slush, ice... Oh yeah, and did I mention it's 10 degrees out! I know I bought a black truck but it sure looks white covered in all that salt. Even my old Jimmy Buffett tapes can't cure what I'm feeling right now (although they help!). Can't wait to get home from work tonight and mix up a batch of tasty Margaritas.

Iv'e been to Tulsa many times and I do like it there, but since I know I'm not gonna stay with my company anymore, it isn't really where I want to move. While it might be harder for me to find a job in Florida than in Tulsa, Florida is definitely the location I want to live in.

My finacee's last day of work here in CT is March 12th and then were gonna drive down on the 13th to her parent's place in Davenport. Then I'm gonna fly back to CT and continue to work and live here until she finds a job. She's gonna take the first job she can find which hopefully won't take long. As soon as she lands a job near Davenport, I'm gonna give my 2 weeks notice and then I'll drive down and continue my job search from there. We'll live at her pernets place temporarily. This way we'll always have a source of income. I think it will be easier to find a job once I have a Florida address and phone #. Then once I find a job (hopefully in Sarasota/Tampa, Fort Myers/Naples area or on the east coast near Miami/Fort Lauderdale) we'll buy a house or rent a short-term lease apartment in the location of my new job. Then she'll quit her job in Davenport and take some time to find a job she likes in the area where we will be living. Sounds pretty simple, right? But somehow I know it'll be much harder than it sounds. I still think I might be crazy, but anything worth doing is worth doing right! It will all be worth it once I get established in my own house and I can begin to enjoy those beautiful sunsets.

Rich

RICPAZ
01-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Oh yeah, and I almost forgot to mention what really pisses me off!!!!

Since I thought I was going to be relocating to my company's headquarters in Tulsa, I sold my Donzi last August!!! Then my company retracts their offer and now I'm Donziless!!!! So when I make it to Florida can I get a ride on someone's Donzi???? Hopefully it won't take too long until I can get another one!

Fish boy
01-23-2004, 10:57 AM
always plenty of seats with the SEADOGS, even a few extra in the cooler. Look forward to meeting you.

Fish

Ed Donnelly
01-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Back in the 70's, on a whim, I packed all my belongings in the Donzi and drove 3,000 miles west(between wives at this point),and ended up in Vernon B.C. Was out of work for 5 mths.Two of the most beautiful lakes in the world.The only drawback was the winters were colder than back in Toronto.Brought back new wife #3 to Toronto and almost NEVER regretted it.What I should have done was drive 1,500 miles SOUTH, and I would still be there with a different wife #4

ToonaFish
01-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Iced in in the North Georgia mountains...

You are a cruel dog, Poodle.

RICPAZ
01-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks a lot guys. We'll be down there within the next two months and I look forward to meeting you all at one of your events. Right now we think our #1 spot to move to is the Fort Myers area. Also considering Sarasota, Port Charlotte, and anywhere from West Palm Beach to Miami. I've been to the east coast many times and I think it's a little too congested with too much traffic. Plus from what I have found on the internet it seems the houses on the east coast are considerably more expensive than the ones on the west. I haven't really been to anywhere on the west coast, just driven up through it on I-75 but I think the west is where we'd rather live. Do you guys have any thoughts or input on the areas I listed above? First I gotta buy a house, the Donzi comes next. Hopefully a new 26ZX.

-Rich