PDA

View Full Version : Ford 6.0L Turbo Diesel

krakmeup
01-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Looking at purchasing the new turbo diesel 6.0L in a Ford F-250, but curious on mpg and can't get any info. Have been to the diesel forums where they talk about 17-18mpg (hiway) on the current 7.3L, but wondering about this newly designed powerplant. Anybobdy have data?

Not trying to get a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge turbo Cummings thing going here, just good info (we're a FoMoCo family otherwise I'd be tempted by that Cummings!).

Keith

Walt. H.
01-23-2003, 06:13 PM
OK KEITH, This is what I can tell ya!these are the spec's for the 6.0L 32 valve diesel=h/p 325@3300 rpm torque=560ft.lbs.@2000rpm comp. ratio18.0:1 For the older bigger heavier 7.3L 18 valve diesel= h/p 250@2600 rpm auto & 275@2800 man.torque=520@1600 rpm man.trans.& 525@1600rpm auto trans. comp ratio 17.5:1 / Ford claims better fuel mileage with the newer smaller eng.and it put's out more torque and H/P. This Info comes out of a Ford catalog back page.And it's has a better 5 spd.auto trans. instead of the 4 spd. auto trans. that comes with the 7.3 diesel. I too would like any additional info that might be known out there. let's hear the input!

ToonaFish
01-24-2003, 05:41 AM
May want to give that diesel engine just a wee bit longer to warm up this morning, Mr. Tropical Storm.

Team Jefe
01-24-2003, 07:39 AM
More HP from a Smaller Engine....Are you sure this thing is Made In The USA. It sounds more like a Japanese or European idea.

I have to admit, I've always thought bigger was better. You have to do something to get that additional HP. I would be worried about that "something" affecting the longevity of the 6.0L. With the price tag associated with Diesel engines, you have to get mucho miles out of them to be worthwhile.

Also, I've always been skeptical of NEW automotive advances. Maybe that is residual affects from years where "Quality was NOT job 1", but we know the 7.3L is a workhorse.

Keith - If you're only going to pull a 16 or 18, do you really need a big Diesel. I'm not really one to be critical since I run a Crew Cab 4X4 longbed myself, but then I'm pulling a 30ZF all around the Gulf Coast.

My 2-cents worth
JEFE

Indyblackhawk
01-24-2003, 08:08 PM
Hey!!

I believe that engine is manufactured here in Indianapolis at the Navistar plant. Casted, machined, assembled, tested, all here in the good old USA. I'll check to make sure.

krakmeup
01-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Thanks fpor all the great replies! I've been looking around too, and here's a few comments:

JimG found a good string of current 6.0L owners discussing mpg, and from that I saw hiway numbers at 17-19 under a variety of loads (JimG - I can't find that string, can you post it here?)

Right now I'm driving a baby SUV and want to go back to full size. To do that with any kind of performance and mileage, I think the 6.0L or the 7.3L is the best; true, yes it is probably overkill for the 18, but when it comes time to move a small house or a new 33, I don't want to go looking for more power.

(And I usualy tend to go a bit overboard on equipment..... :D )

Yes, I also think the 6.0L is from the Navistar plant, but I will confirm this weekend at the Houston Auto Show; thanks again!

Keith