PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Over IV

Formula Jr
02-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Crossing Over Part IV.

I dragged my sorry butt out of the Van into the shivering pre-noon sun on the shores of Pahranagat Lake, NV. The camp site looked like a horde of bikers had imbibed there the night before...no flat space was left untouched by an empty beer bottle:  And there's something going on with the Labatt company that you Canadians may be able to answer. That being; what does the maple leaf bottle top mean?..... Am I tossing away a prize or something? You Canadians are so insular and hard to understand... but hey, if you go thru a half dozen, half racks, there's this single red, maple leaf bottle top thingy that keeps showing up. ???

Some mysterious yet odoriferous, cylindical object had wasted ashore and was curling Henry's nose.

Twenty miles out, the heat of the van and sun, made life comfortable, 70 miles more and four Starbuck Frappuccinos later, I top a crest and beheld the temperature inversion, smothered skyline of Las Vegas.

Everyone has a little pecular, perceptual querk. I mean some people are color blind, some people can be thrown into eplileptic fits just by a certain pattern of flashing lights. Some people can't handle the screech of fingernails on a chalk board, or the sound of glass being scratched on sand. A friend of mine in college, would fall to his knees if he heard an old standard phone bell ringer, people who have been blind from birth have facininating visual worlds, they can smell and touch sight.

I get seriously car sick if I read billboards.

If anyone wanted to torture me, this would be the quick path. I can bounce around on a sailboat in seven or better foot seas for days at a time - no sweat, Jump out of an airplane at 10 thousand feet - a breeze, but if you pass more than ten billboards through my visual system in rapid succession at 70 miles an hour, I'm soon puking my guts out with a splitting headack for half a day, and the ringing in the ears will last for a week.

I'm driving thru Las Vegas.

Huummmm.....

it is actually possible to drive a car and only watch the first 100 feet of the road and never turn your head. Thank God, that at that noon-time, no one was driving a Caddy with a straw hat at 40 mph.

I want to personally, thank Lady Bird Johnson, where ever you maybe, for spearheading the Interstate Beautification Program that removed most of the billboards across the country. You made the main bulk of my cross country trips possible. Once, I even made a toast in your honor.

Hey Hilary!? Want to do something "IMPORTANT?"

Interestingly, there are very few billboards as one LEAVES Las Vegas. Huummm..... I wonder why? Maybe, they have little meaning on the bus ride home...... But what's up with the reverse vacectomy billboards? Is there a market for this, specific to people leaving Las Vegas? ????

Baby steps...and the Damn Dam. Part V soon to follow.

Terry0341
02-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Great stuff! I am really enjoying this adventure...craving more!

Digger
02-20-2003, 06:19 AM
keep it coming Owen! did you do any gambling?

I'm guessing Parker dam...no wait maybe Mead...