PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Facts

Darrell
01-16-2003, 04:41 PM
The name "Oklahoma" comes from the Choctaw words: "okla" meaning people and "humma" meaning red, so the state's name literally means "red people."

Oklahoma has the largest American Indian population of any state. Many of the 252,420 American Indians living in Oklahoma today are descendents from the original 67 tribes inhabiting Indian Territory. 39 of the tribes have headquarters in Oklhoma.

The highest point is the the Black Mesa (4,973 ft) and the lowest is outside of Idabel (287 ft).

Oklahoma has more man-made lakes than any other state, with over one million surface acres of water and 2,000 more miles of shoreline, more than the Atlantic and Gulf coast combined.

Forest cover 24% of the state mainly on the east side and the west is much flatter and more tree challenged. (I live on the extreme west side of the state)

Oklahoma is a good place to raise a family, good hard working people, that for most part you can trust completly. If we could drop the state income tax like our friends to the south, it would be much better. (don't look for that to happen this year, they are talking about laying off teachers due to budget shortfalls.) My daughter is a 5th generation Oklahoman. My Great Granddad was part of the land rush we the state was opened up for stettlement. However look for me to retire someday near the ocean, but for now I'am happy just being a Okie.

Darrell

farmer tx
01-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Darrell,
Polly and I are thinking about a trip to lake Powell sometime this summer.
Wondering if y'all would be interested?

Later,