PDA

View Full Version : Any Mi people seen 8 Mile?

HyperDonzi
11-09-2002, 06:04 PM
Segment of Eminems life. I didnt know he grew up in Detroit. I also didnt know my dad went "brooming" on 8 mile road either...

Overall, it was a good movie, a totally different crowd was at the movies than normal.

Ranman
11-09-2002, 08:56 PM
I actually live on 7 Mile and I grew up living on 9 Mile. To put it simply, in Metro Detroit, 8 Mile Road (also known as Baseline) is the divider between Detroit city limits and the suburbs. Typically, if you live North of 8 Mile, you live in the suburbs, if you live south of 8 Mile you live in Detroit. I grew up in a suburb of Detroit (Southfield to be exact). My neighborhood was mostly all white. Down the road one mile, in Detroit, the neighborhoods are all black (tough area). I now live less than 1 mile outside of Detroit proper.

When I grew up the city of Southfield was about 50/50 white/black. My high school was 95% black. Lots of kids from South of 8 Mile were students at my school (not supposed to be there), but lived in Detroit. Their parents would find a way to send them to Southfield (Aunt, grandarents, lieing saying they were residents) so they did not have to attend Detroit public schools. My being rough around the edges sometimes comes from going to a high school of 1700 students, 200-300 of us being white. I was the minority and it was a tough school. We had police officers stationed IN our school. A lot of my old high school buddies are now in prison, dead or deadbeats. I ended up seeing the light, straightened up my act, and went to college. I'm one of the few from my group.

florida gator
11-09-2002, 09:31 PM
Wow, I feel soooo fortunate to have grown up where I did. I have not seen that movie yet, but I want to. How close to reality is it?

HyperDonzi
11-09-2002, 09:49 PM
I would guess pretty close.

I was more appreciative of where I am growing up after seeing it. The roughest part of our school district isnt even close to that.