PDA

View Full Version : "Blackhawk Down" movie question

Brad Lyon
10-27-2002, 06:22 PM
Donzi Kim and I rented and watched most of Blackhawk Down last night. The reason I say watched most of it was because Kim couldn't take any more of it! Too much blood guts and gore for her. I'll finish watching it tonight.

My question is why is the American flag patch on everyone's right shoulder backwards! Am I wrong or is the field ALWAYS to be in the upper left corner whether it is displayed horizontally or vertically. I can't believe it was an oversight on someones part in Hollywood.

Any thoughts Digger!

Brad

Digger
10-27-2002, 09:04 PM
the flag should be depicted how it flies. there is actually a milspec that says this, in our case we often get questioned why the flag looks backwards on the right side of the helicopter. It's not backwards, it's displayed how it would actually fly if it were in that position, i.e. on the right side the blue field is forward, to indicate how it would fly if it were actually flying there. Or in other words, the blue field of the flag is oriented in the forward direction. btw the movie was done pretty well, there is plenty of hollywood in there, but it did accurately depict the fluidity and uncertainty of combat in downtown Mogadishu. I've had beers with Mike Durant on a couple occasions, got the scoop directly.

Anyone remember the interview with Mike and his captors that was all over CNN? Remember how he appeared like he was holding himself up against a wall with his arms while trying to sit up? He was. His back was broken.

"NSDQ"
Nightstalkers don't quit.

Gearhead99
10-28-2002, 07:00 PM
Mike is a hero. He should be reconized much more for his bravery. He did his duty and was a credit to the US during his captor.

I salute him.

Vietnam vet

OceanCommotion
10-29-2002, 08:13 AM
Mike is absolutely a hero, but if it weren't for MSGT Randy Shugart and SFC Gary Gordon, that whole deal may have turned out much differently.

I don't think those two got enough recognition in the movie for what really happened- they forced the pilot flying Super 62 to drop them in there knowing full well that they didn't stand much of a chance to get out. And they didn't.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Brad Lyon
10-29-2002, 11:54 AM
Digger,

I fully agree with the flags on the side of the chopper etc. I also understand the reason for flying the flag upside down. Did this myself when Clinton was elected (really pissed off my ultra liberal neighbors). My question is did Hollywood screw up or is there a reason to display the flag backwards on uniforms.

Brad

OceanCommotion
10-30-2002, 10:19 AM
Brad- I think he answered your question with this:

"It's not backwards, it's displayed how it would actually fly if it were in that position, i.e. on the right side the blue field is forward, to indicate how it would fly if it were actually flying there. Or in other words, the blue field of the flag is oriented in the forward direction."