PDA

View Full Version : Twin disc tranny

Cuda
01-01-2004, 05:21 PM
I think I might have fried one today. Does anyone know who works on them around the Tampa area?

BUIZILLA
01-01-2004, 05:28 PM
One of my tech's does them on the side. I'm sure there are places in your area that service them. The clutch kits are getting pricey lately though.

J

Cuda
01-01-2004, 06:00 PM
I found one from TD's website in Tampa.

What happened is I blew a hose and spewed out all the oil. Another guy told me that the oil has to be in to operate hydraulic clutches that I should just fix the hose, refill with oil and give it a shot.

What do you think?

BUIZILLA
01-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I agree, fix the hose, top it off and see what happens. I am direct with TD and get good deals. In fact, I just sold a couple of 5114's for some MAN's last week....about 40k for the pair. We also did a 6-1 512 overhaul, and a 509 overhaul. I assume you have 506 or 509's??

K

Cuda
01-02-2004, 12:15 AM
502's.

Cuda
01-02-2004, 02:04 PM
MadPoodle:
OK, maybe preaching to the choir here, but redo all the hoses on both tranny's. When one goes, it's an indicator..

The other Scott

Chaser of broken hoses no more :D The previous owner called me today, (he saw my post on another board) and told me that he thinks he still has the hose I need. You can tell the two upper hoses (on each side) have been replaced, but at the time he didn't have the wrench he needed to change the lowers. I'm about to dive in the oil soaked bilge right now. frown

Cuda
01-03-2004, 10:22 AM
After cussing a blue streak yesterday trying to get the hose off, I went out today and got both of them off in twenty minutes. :)

Waiting for Goodyear to open on Monday.

Cuda
01-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Here is the main problem I was having. The hose comes off a fitting out of the tranny with the nut tight up against the housing, so there is no way to get a wrench on it unless you cut a big hole in your transom. :( It was obviously put on before the engines were installed.

What I did was cut me a piece of pipe just short enough to get beside the exhaust and big enough around to slide over the hose and fitting. I took the easy end of the hose off, and slid the pipe over the hose and fitting. Then I turned the fittting until it was straight up and was able to get a wrench on it and get it out.

Does anyone know if they make a longer 90 degree fitting? I removed the fittings while I was at it. What about a 45 degree?

Here is what it looked like.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffline.jpg

Cuda
01-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Ok, she's done and ready for water testing. :) I had the hoses made at Goodyear. The two hoses and fittings cost $55. Heck, that's one of the cheapest things I ever fixed on a boat.

I fired the engines up and neither appear to be leaking. Both will go into gear.

Now all that's left is a couple hours of good "clean" fun in the bilge for Debbie. :)

She was watching me type this and I told her "Don't you have a bilge to clean or something?". :D

She's headed out witha BIG bottle of Dawn.

Cuda
01-17-2004, 04:46 PM
I guess it's burnt. We put it in today and when I tried to get on a plane it spun to 6000 rpm, just like a clutch slipping on a car. frown

Cuda
01-20-2004, 07:03 AM
I called three different marine mechs in the area. None of them work on the Twin Disc transmissions. They all said they would pull the engine and tranny, but I'd have to take it somewhere to get if rebuilt.

Called Twin Disc Southeast in Tampa, they will do the entire job. Called the previous owner of my boat. He works for Cummins so I figured he would know who to get to fix it, and he said if you brought it to Cummins, they'd take it straight over to Twin Disc. So I'm going to take it there and have it done. I might get it there today.