PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new laptop

Rootsy
12-27-2003, 10:45 PM
My current laptop is getting down there on warranty plus my mother could use a new puter so i think it is time to pass the current P3 powered inspiron on and get a new one...

first off the new one WILL BE A DELL... i ahve had nothing but exception quality, function, service and support from them.. I am on my 3rd Dell laptop and my 2nd one went through the ringer when i traveled... they took care of me no questions asked... way above and beyond what i think they should have...

to get to the core of my question for all of you computer guru's... i am either going with the 8600 or the 5150... BUT with the new intel processors out there and even reading reviews it is hard to tell which gives you the best bang... the intel Pentium M (1.4 - 1.8 GHz)... the P4 @ 3+ GHz or the P4 - HT at 3+ GHz... the 8600 is a pentium - m processor machine only... the 5150 either gives you choice of P4 Mobile or P4 - HT (hyper threading)... WHICH is the biggest and badest???????? the best performance... for all types of applications????

the rest of the puter will be the best i can afford, 64 (5150) or 128 (8600) meg video (NVidia or ATI)... 7200 rpm Ultra ATA HD, CDRW/DVD... internal networking, modem and sound... 15 inch UXGA - 5150 15.4 WUXGA - 8600)... another 3 year warranty... cept for ram since dell seems to take you to the bank on that and i can find it much cheaper elsewhere... yadda yadda yadda (SNORING)

so let me have it... this thing will be ordered sometime next week... :) :confused: :rolleyes: :)

THANK YOU!

Jamie

BUIZILLA
12-28-2003, 07:39 AM
Does it come with wheels and a pull handle ?? :D wink

J

RedDog
12-28-2003, 08:44 AM
While you're buying new, besure to get wireless networking built in. It is great for travelling and summertimes, I can sit on the back porch swing and be online :)

Rootsy
01-04-2004, 06:33 PM
well the puter is ordered and should be here the beginning of the week... thanks for any feedback i recieved :)

i didn't get any wireless option reddog... hell i can't even manage to get cable here... let alone any hope of DSL... so at the moment i am condemned to dialup...

sorry jim... the only thing around here with paddles it the lil rowboat wink oh and hte one in the donzi for those "just in case" episodes i have every now and then... :rolleyes:

now lets just hope dell has those NVidia driver issues resolved...

Brad Lyon
01-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Sooooo, is this a Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me... present? Sounds nice! BTW, you can get PCMCIA 802.11b wireless cards at Micro Center for $6 dollars after rebates should you ever get cable. I love wireless! Lean back in the recliner with your laptop and surf away.

Brad