PDA

View Full Version : An interesting slant on obesity!

MOP
12-04-2002, 08:01 PM
Had the oportunity to speak with a biologist the other day. We got on the issue of obesity he believes something I have thought was the cause. You cattle state people can attest to the fact that cattle are now nearly 2-1/2 time haevier today than 20 years ago. This is due to the hormones they feed them, and guess what we eat the meat which is believed to be a factor in obesity. By the way most all commercially raised meats including birds are treated with hormones to increase wieght. Pretty scary, that I think is why many countries ban our grains and will probably start banning many other edible products.

harbormaster
12-06-2002, 05:33 AM
Having married into a ranching/farming family...

I have spoke to numerous people who have checked into this because They do not want to raise a product that will hurt people. They said that there were tests ran that put that risk down to zero. A big part of the problem today is not the beef. It is all the fried foods and carbohydrates that people eat.

Think about this.... If the hormones are responsible for us gaining weight, why does the atkins' diet work?

La Minx
12-06-2002, 01:00 PM
I know I haven't posted much of anything in a long time, so I hope you don't mind that I respond to this. My family and I have found through research and lectures (prompted by health problems) that additional hormones, particularly estogren, are a cause for many of the health problems we are seeing today. Too much estrogen causes many things, one of them is weight gain, and you would be amazed at how much estrogen we are all getting without knowing it. We are exposed to hormones through meat injected with them, but at least you can buy meat that isn't treated. I don't profess to know everything on this subject, not by far, but I do know that there is a lot of information out there that supports your biologist friend's beliefs. I'd love to hear more on what he said.

Steven Cohn
12-06-2002, 01:45 PM
I eat meat and I'm not fat. I'm just short for my weight.

Stepped Bottom
12-09-2002, 07:47 PM
I hadn't heard about the hormones being a factor in causing obesity. I had heard that hormones in our food are thought to be responsible for our young ladies "developing" at younger and younger ages. My neice is 10 and just started "womanhood". I was totally shocked because I think of a 10 year old as still a child. Has anyone heard any reports on this subject?

Darla

OneHotBayliner
12-12-2002, 01:11 PM
I wonder if all this estrogen has something to do with my love for my Bayliner? Everytime i look at it, i get emotional. Sometimes i even cry. I get really scared going faster than 47mph anyway.

HyperDonzi
12-12-2002, 03:17 PM
That thing does 47?

OneHotBayliner
12-12-2002, 03:46 PM
Did i say 47? I must've been thinking of Jamie's Donzi. My Bayliner has conservatively estimated top speed of 17 mph. I lifted at 16.6 mph when she felt like she was going to skip-n-dig. That pass scared the hell outta me and it's been tough to get back in the seat...

Rootsy
12-12-2002, 06:35 PM
was that 16.6 gps or swag? I don't know where you arrived at 47! i'm still trying to get the nerve to push it past 40 - speedo... it's just too frightening... this whole "planing" thing is just too intimidating to me :(

maybe i should give up the 30 lbs of beef i inhale each week???? :rolleyes:

anyone want to trade a 350 for a 120 merc 4 cylinder? i'll even throw in some cash! i just think i'd be more comfortable with less ooomph... :confused: