PDA

View Full Version : From my cubicle in the public library...

ToonaFish
12-04-2002, 05:24 PM
Just so no one panics as I drop out of sight, there has been a great tragedy in my life.

For five long years, my laptop has cheerfully been dropped upon its head without complaint. This past year the power supply hiccuped, but with a roll of duct tape, a copy of the Bible and a large rock positioned on the cord, it would mostly run. And then I sneezed the most massive earth shattering sneeze this week. Effectively killing my laptop. Doesn't look like the police will be filing charges and I'm having masses said for its soul in hopes of one day resurrecting the POS...

Requests have been made to Santa Claus to bring me a new PC, but, frankly, I don't know if I've been a good enough girl to cause the Elves to bang one together. So, I'm now scaring small children as I laugh aloud at my email in the Library... the librarians look a little fearful too. Anway, ya'll can reach me the old fashioned way... talk to my machine at 770/514-0868. And I'm busy comparison shopping... any brilliant suggestions for cheap new puters are welcome. (Harddrive and system only... found a deal on a monitor.)

Bunches,

Celene 'the librarians won't let me look at the DonziGirl section'

MOP
12-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Walmart.com has a windows machine for $300 and a Lindows ( A derivitive of Linux ) for $200 either one will do what you want. You can research Lindows on the net it is suppose to be more reliable than Windows, no input on that from this end but maybe a techy can step in!

RedDog
12-04-2002, 08:24 PM
Here's the deal - for what I have in it. Bought this when my other "beater" computer died and the shop said it couldn't be fixed for cheap - and then they ended up fixing it for cheap after I bought another (this):

Dell, PII, 450MHZ, RAM somewhere around 32 - 64 best I recall - could be more(128?), HD around 8 Gig, CD and floppy drives. Win 98SE installed and on CD disk, MS Office 2000 installed (Word, Excell, Power Point, Outlook). Network card, sound card, and 56K modem installed. No mouse, keyboard, monitor included.

I'll be in Rome GA this weekend for my son's soccer tournament. You pick it up, try it, you like it send me $250.00. You don't like it, you ship me the computer.

I could outfit it with a 15 inch Compaq monitor, basic keyboard and mouse - but would have to think harder about the terms. Not too much more.

All of the above work perfect, but they are a few years old....

ToonaFish
12-07-2002, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions...

MOP, I'm trying to stay away from integrated mother boards, which, unfortunately, comprises most of the Emachine/Lindows specials... I keep stuff forever and will need to upgrade down the road.

And Reddog, super thanks for the offer of your system AND DELIVERY!!!! Santa has nixed anything used (or from KMart) and there is no reasoning with her. Hope ya'll didn't suffer frostbite at the soccer game in Rome and won big!

Looks like I'll be having a system built and should be back online late next week... once I stumble through XP and LAN land, that is...

Bunches,

Celene 'Sugar is Sweet, but a Sixteen is Sweeter'

RedDog
12-08-2002, 08:47 PM
Glad you got something going from Santa on the computer Tuna.

Yeah - the TN boys ruled GA in this go round - took first. 4 games over the weekend with a total of 33 goals on our side and only gave up 7. Never saw them play so well even though 2 of the team's key palyers didn't make it to any games and 1 key player missed 2 games. Had 1 sub for the first 2 games, none for the last 2.

The excitement kept us warm!