PDA

View Full Version : Bogus Lawsuit against Merc. Marine

Greg
12-04-2002, 08:43 AM
I just read a disturbing article in the Chi. Tribune. It is about a Naperville Il. man suing Mercury for the wrongful death of his wife who fell overboard and was hit by the prop. He claims the boat engine was "unreasonably dangerous" because it didn't have a propeller guard on it. Showing good sense the first Judge threw it out, but it was just reinstated. I always thought it was up to the Captain's responsibility to not chop up his passengers when they are in the water. I really wish people would try to stop saving us from ourselves. What ever happened to common sense?

Digger
12-04-2002, 10:11 AM
America needs to come to the conclusion that there are, in fact, hazardous items in the world that will harm us if accident or neglect befall us. It is part of the risk, and the responsibility, of living.

Darrell
12-04-2002, 01:24 PM
My heart goes out to the gentleman who lost his wife, I know he has suffered a lost I would never want have to face. However it's about time we accept the fact that everything in life is not 100% safe. If this had not been his wife, but say just a friend, he would be the one getting sued. I can't help but feel the fault is with driver of the boat, and would have the guard have saved her. If he felt Mercury had produced a product that was not safe, Why did he buy it. There are still sailboat and jetboats for sale or he could have put on his own prop guard. No he knew, just like I do that there is a danger, but accepts that with good judgement it's a risk worth taking. We all need remember the somethings in life are just accidents and nobody is to blame, and not try using the courts to give us money to make a loss seem somewhat better (It won't bring her back, just increase the cost of boating and have the goverment more in our life.)

Pardom me while I step down
from my soapbox.

Darrell