PDA

View Full Version : Selling stuff on Ebay

Brad Lyon
09-13-2002, 08:56 PM
These economic times are really starting to take their toll on my income. Since my business is off 65% plus I need to sell some of my toys and collections.

I would like to sell some of these items on Ebay but I have never done this before. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to do and what not to do? What I have to sell is mostly professional camera equipment (Hasselblad), darkroom equipment (4X5 enlarger), digital camera equipment (Sony DSC-F707)and older high end stereo equipment (SAE rack). Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Brad

Formula Jr
09-14-2002, 04:30 AM
Do you have a feedback rating yet? If you're selling stuff, you really need at least 12 positives to be taken seriously.

Brad Lyon
09-16-2002, 11:44 AM
Yes I have 12 positive feedbacks, any other suggestions?

Brad

Greg Riach
09-16-2002, 07:30 PM
Hi Brad

I have been very successful on Ebay. Always have good descriptions and excellent pictures. Watch the prices for awhile to identify trends. I have noticed that prices increase as the cooler winter weather approaches. Pre Christmas is a good time for sellers. If I can answer any other questions email me Greg@rnt.ca.

Greg

McGary911
09-17-2002, 11:48 AM
I've noticed that about the feedback thing. I have tried to sell a couple of things on EBAY, starting with a low reserve, but without feedback, i didn't get a single bite. Definate catch22. no feedback-no sale, no sale-no feedback. Kinda annoys me.

Formula Jr
09-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Mc911, I decided I was going to start selling stuff on eBay awhile back, so I built up the feedback rating by buying stuff. So far I've bought: Computer memory, some old phones (I collect them), a few old ads, a keyboard, digital camera, a megadon shark tooth, laptop, boat parts, a GT 21 and a Pokymon Charazard card (for the nephew. ) All the deals went really well, since I now only bid if they have alot of good positive feedback. Early on, I discovered that most zero feedback sales had shill bidders. And I've seen some pretty funky stuff go on in the last 40 seconds of an auction. I hate hidden reserve sales which turn out to be market tests in most cases- A cheap way to apprase a big ticket item. The "buy it now" feature is a great way to state your reserve up front. Photos and description make the sale. Know what it will generally cost to ship in the continental US and state that. Your enlarger will be probablematic as it is so bulky to ship. DO NOT USE UPS. eBay works best, for rare, small, non-fragile (or easily packed), high dollar items. For items like film cameras, stereo equipment and other delicate stuff, shipping and insurance are paramount.
State clearly what payment options you are comfortable with. And be brutaly honest in your description of the item. Point out ANYTHING up front. This is the mark of a real seller and will actually bring in higher bids.

KMLFAMILY
09-17-2002, 08:54 PM
Try to time the auction to end on sunday nite and take into account time zones.I have been lucky selling and buying on e-bay.

Stix Magill
09-26-2002, 09:50 PM
Brad,
I am loving my Ebay selling experience (350+ transactions) and have learned a bit. A nice high Ebay feedback rating, avoiding negative or neutral if at all possible is required to consistently get top dollar. Great pictures with proper lighting raises the selling price.
I would also suggest that you do not use a reserve at all. Simply start the auction at the minimum you would take if someone threw the money on your desk. See me at ebay's: scottandhistoys.
Never hide flaws and always offer a refund when you slip up or your product fails in any way.
Do not let people rip you off. They WILL try eventually.

Hey... I am looking for a Hasselblad or two. I want to buy my dad one and I have always dreamed of one of my own. Please email me at stixmagill@hotmail.com with some details of the cameras and lenses you have to sell.

Good luck!
Scott Smith