PDA

View Full Version : musical talent

abelchinewalker
11-23-2002, 10:05 PM
Who here plays a musical instrument? When I was 13 years old I got an electric guitar but after two weeks I couldn't play like Eddie VanHalen so I gave it up. Now 20 years later I'm giving it another shot, but this time with an acoustic.

HyperDonzi
11-24-2002, 01:14 PM
I was thinking of taking up electric guitar too.

Ed Donnelly
11-24-2002, 06:09 PM
I bought a jews harp when I was 12yr. old. Could never get a gig in a rock and roll band though

NYStockboy
11-24-2002, 09:12 PM
Electric Guitar since the age of 10. I am now 47. I have a Fender Stratocaster and a 1975 Les Paul Custom. I am still looking for my big break. Until then, I will continue to broker stocks. UGH!
Thank You,
Ken

PrestonZX
11-25-2002, 08:39 AM
Go for it. I have tried several times. It's probably the rock star complex. Unfortunately I have very large hands, great for some things but not guitar. I've bought books, taken lessons, etc. Even got to the point once where my fingers were calloused. Got the bug again a little while ago bought a beautiful Ovation acoustic, took lessons, bought Guitar for Dummies (which I recommend)but alas gave up again. Met and got to know slightly Stevie Ray Vaughn before his tragic death. From what he said there is a fair amount of "gift" involved. Most of these guys, atleast from what I know, just picked one up one day started playing and it just sort of came to them. Most of the old bluesmen like B. B. King have never had a lesson in their life and a lot of them can't even read music. I was friends with a kid in high school that never had a lesson, couldn't read music, but could replay any song he heard after one listening.

Keep at it. Stevie said with time and determination anyone could master the guitar but it was the gift portion that let you play one.

Tom Davis
11-25-2002, 11:36 AM
I play bass guitar, and have been playing for over 25 years professionally. I've had allot of fun over the years in the music industry and am still at it! :cool:

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Wavewalker
11-25-2002, 02:10 PM
You need to hook up with Surfer, he has been playing electric guitar longer than anyone I know. Oh Surfer, where are you?

MainBrain
11-25-2002, 02:26 PM
I play guitar in a band with surfer. (We have a surf band together - no, not beach boys music...old ventures and twangy stuff, plus new tunes done up surf style) We almost played at the Donzi Sarasota rally but surfer got hung up at home and couldn't go. We're practicing tonight and I'll mention this thread to him.

Surfer
11-25-2002, 06:14 PM
I think it was Wavewalkers "Beatle" boots that got me thinking about guitar, and way to many years later, I'm still playing as loud as I possibly can. As Mainbrain mentioned, we still got a band going, with basically the same guy's from twenty years ago, a good excuss to get invited to parties. We ought to get good eventually. By the way, a little known fact, Nick M. plays a real mean six string also.

Craig
11-25-2002, 06:51 PM
I too am a serious geeeetar peeeeker! I play electric (mostly Teles), acoustic (a nice older Ovation Legend in real life, and an expensive beautiful Taylor in my dreams), and a little bass. (Actually it's a normal size bass(: ) Have also played off and on professionally for the past 25+ years. Have been involved with groups doing everything from rock to country to rock to bluegrass to rock to gospel. Also, over the years a nice set of jazz tunes I learned mostly for my Dad, but I 'm defintitely no jazz player (you may not like that stuff, but its the hard stuff). Currently play in two different church related groups. One's mostly rocky stuff and the other one ...ain't! Also practicing with my kids who are coming along nicely on the piano/keys (daughter 15) and drums (son 12). My wife sings too. I used to think I was pretty cool doing this music thing and now we're becoming the Partridge Family! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! Actually it's pretty cool. I figure who cares if it sounds good and we're having fun.

For you guys who want to learn guitar, here's some tips:

1)Get a good enough guitar. Check out some place like Musician's Freind on the web and find something that's decent and playable. Speaking very broadly don't buy a new electric or acoustic that doesn't cost at least $400.00 or $500.00 without having someone you know that plays check it out. Not that you can't get good deals for less, but that's about the range (at a store with good prices) where the guitars start to get "playable" enough for you to be able to enjoy. A lot of new $200.00 and $300.00 guitars are just plain junk. You guys like Donzi's for quality. The same applies here.
2) If you wanna rock, (after learning your easy open chords) follow up by learning your barre chords (they're the ones that you can't play with the above mentioned "great-deal-super-cheap" guitar). If you want to learn some neat acoustic "getting started" stuff, I always tell people to get a book that shows how to play the old Kansas tune "Dust In The Wind." It employs a nice finger picking roll that is adaptable to so many other tunes it's not funny. It's a nice little exercise for increasing your finger dexterity also. In fact, I read something by Kerry Livgren (original Kansas guitar and keyboard player who wrote the tune) in which he actually says the song started as just a finger exercise. His wife walked by his practice room and said "hey that's neat, you should make it a song."
Gee I wonder how Dust in the Wind would sound on that Gibson "Donzi" Les Paul. That thing is sweet! I wonder if it floats? JUST KIDDING -- IF YOU HAVE ONE, DON"T TRY THAT!

Wavewalker
11-25-2002, 06:57 PM
Yes, I did have the boots (fine ones at that)and for one afternoon I jamed with Surfer using a six string turned into a four string (bass). Now all I play is the radio. Wish I had those boots now, I'd head on down to South Beach. Surfer I should have had you, Mainbrain and the rest of your band over today for a party....its my birthday!

Stepped Bottom
11-27-2002, 08:32 PM
Craig,

Just curious about when you started your daughter on piano and your son on drums? Our 8 year old daughter is getting a keyboard for Christmas and we want to start her on piano lessons. We chose to go with the keyboard for starters because if she decides 6 months from now that she doesn't like it, I'm not out thousands of $ and I can shove it under the bed! If she does stick with it, we'll look at a "real" piano for next Christmas. We also have a junior size CB drum set hidden in the garage for our son who will be 4 on New Year's Eve. We would like to start him with lessons-just to learn the basics-we don't expect him to learn a lot real fast. Do you think he's old enough for basic lessons? And of course with Donnie already learning guitar, and the kids getting instruments, I'm going to find an extra large bottle of Tylenol and a pair of ear plugs in my stocking.

Darla

Crazy Horse
11-28-2002, 12:10 PM
Darla, at my piano shop we have over 200 kids per week taking piano lessons. We start them at 6 years old or younger if they can hold still for a half hour and read a bit. Eight years old is plenty old enough. Give some serious thought to getting a very good teacher. At this early stage it is more important then the piano you have. That said, inexpensive portable keyboards do not feel correct (student will be forming muscle groups in fingers and hands from lesson #1), there are the wrong amount of keys, the music book should be placed on a proper music stand located on the piano, etc. A terrific keyboard for a beginner is a Yamaha Clavinova CLP 120. I suggest you purchase the instrument locally but my web site probably would be worthwhile if you are still gathering info: www.bostonorganandpiano.com (http://www.bostonorganandpiano.com)

Back to the thread...
I play guitar, self-taught off of Stones, Dylan, Muddy Waters records. I sing. Have fronted numerous rock bands and have sung in choirs, accapello singing groups, musicals. I also play the piano. To date I have recorded 5 original rock CDs and produced for others a number of CDs.

Peace, but loud.

EricG
11-28-2002, 01:19 PM
Great Topic.

I dreamed of playing the guitar for years (spent many, many early teenage hours playing along with Def Leppard on the tennis racket!). I played drums for years in the various school bands (yup, I'm a band geek :D )...but it wasn't until college that I actually met a guy down the hall in the dorm that played. He let me borrow a guitar and a guitar magazine - I sat down with the "TAB" of "Sad but True" by Metallica, and after about 2 hours, I could actually play the first 3 chords....and it sounded like music. cool! The rest is history. I worked for 2 quarters washing dishes in the Dorm cafeteria so I could buy that Washburn electric guitar (which I still have...it's great for the heavy metal covers).

Fast forward 10 years....I've managed to obtain a few more guitars and amps...and I play guitar in the band NOT DAVIS (http://www.notdavis.com) . We were in the studio until about 3 this AM finishing up the first 2 tracks for our first album.

But, my biggest guitar passion is Surf Rock...if I can ever make it to one of the gathering's on that side of the country...I love to be involved in a little REVERB-o-RAMA :D

All I can say is if you have the interest...start now....I wish I would have started 10 years earlier.

EG

Craig
12-02-2002, 09:44 AM
Darla,
Sorry for delayed reply. Haven't checked in for a while. Looks like Crazy Horse already gave you some good advice. I think our daughter started around 8 or 9 just plunking on a small keyboard. We had bought a little learning tool called a Miracle Piano that worked with the computer or TV via a Nintendo hookup of some kind. I'm sure there's a lot of good computer learning tools now, but it was cool for it's time. It had shooting gallery's where you had to hit the right notes, and other game oriented stuff for timing, etc. Pretty neat for the age she was then. A few years ago, Mom bought her an extremely old and heavy, but nice playing and well maintained upright for around $200.00 bucks. My observation is nobody wants them cause they're heavy. A plus is they take up less room than a grand or baby grand, but sound better than spinets or consoles (what I, in my ignorance, call "mini-uprights"). Again, Crazy Horse's advice of getting a good teacher fairly early is very true. It will keep a young player from developing bad habits. Also re: the keyboard, I agree the Yamaha Clavinova is a very good choice. A major problem with keyboards is that many cheaper ones do not have a weighted key or hammer action (i.e. they feel more like an organ) and that will effect (possibly negatively) a young player's touch on the keys (of a piano). The Clavinova, like many models, tries to achieve a "piano feel." In addition to the big upright, which my daughter actually prefers over her teacher's very nice Stienway Grand (go figure), we have a Kurzwiel SP (Stage Piano) 88. It's pretty nice and cost between $500.00 & $600.00 about 2 yrs. ago. The Clavinova looks more like a non portable (i.e. more living room friendly - wood grain, etc.). Re: every parent's friends (THE DRUMS!!!!!!), my boy started, I'd say also around 8. Drums are cool because, if they have an ear for music, they actually can start playing stuff a bit quicker. I did something on my own that I think worked out well. We eventually bought him a set, but at first, I built up a set from "borrowed drumming friends and relatives" stuff. The key was I didn't incorporate a lot of pieces in to the set at first. I set him up with a kick drum (bass), high hat, and snare (and I think at least a ride cymbal). These are the essentials. I showed him what I knew of basic 4/4 rhythm and let him play. We'd just jam with the drums and guitar (i.e. me on guitar). That helped a lot, but I think not adding "toms" and "floor mount" and mega cymbals, at first, sped up the learning process (was also a little easier to live with in adjoining parts of the house). I do think a set is way better, if they want to be "a drummer" than standard school type lessons geared toward playing a snare (or whatever) only. It gets you walking and chewing gum at the same time right from the start. If a kid plays 3 years with a "school thing" playing snare only (even if they're good), trying to then play a set will be foriegn to them. Yes, tylenol is your friend! Hope this adds a little to Crazy Horse's already good advice.
Craig Z.

bverd
12-02-2002, 06:19 PM
POWER [ON]/[OFF]... That about covers it. --bverd

Dr. Dan
12-02-2002, 06:40 PM
:D Brad...I'm not far from you...although I have played both Guitar and Piano....and I have been known to be able to do some vocals now and then... :p used to work Security at Rock concerts in my College years...saw some great acts and got paid for it too! Bob Seger,Styx,J. Geils Band,Marshall Tucker Band...I could go on an on...Rock & Roll Baby.... :cool: Growing up outside of Motown...what do you expect? Here's an interesting "TidBit...my father used to walk with the Supremes to work,from their mutual parking lots...kinda cool! My uncle use to care take a cottage up north,for the owner of Motown Records, prior to Barry Gordy taking over...? :rolleyes: ....Doc

harbormaster
12-02-2002, 07:08 PM
Hey Horse I am breaking out the Group B Christmas album.

Crazy Horse
12-02-2002, 10:50 PM
Scot, that's a good thing. Hope that you and the Mrs. enjoy it...

DON N.
12-03-2002, 08:01 AM
GETTING OUT THE ONE YOU SENT ME TO HORSE , AS FAR AS MUSICAL I WAS TAUGHT 6 YEARS WORTH OF CONCERT PIANO , SO LONG AGO I CAN'T REMEMBER A THING EXCEPT I DIDN'T LIKE PRACTICING .