PDA

View Full Version : Scot Van A and all. You peope seeing a bunch of these?

oldLenny
09-11-2002, 09:04 AM
I , being very new to getting Viruses, have lately been seeing a lot of mail, (almost daily) from one "W32KlezH@mm". My Norton catches it all fortunately and I spent the weekend getting all the new "live updates" for it online.

This is a new mail to me and it shows up almost daily once. Is anyone else seeing it or is it somewhere I have been? and my mail account? :mad:

Rootsy
09-11-2002, 11:45 AM
i've been receiving a few virus' a week by email which is also a new occurance to me... not necessarily the klez but others such as bat and dat files... mcafee has been catching all if they do somehow decide to launch... all are from people or email addresses that i do not know or that make very little if any sense at all... hench i don't open or view the email... i have also begun to receive more and mroe spam on my tdi email whereas i NEVER received spam up until maybe 4 months ago... not like i post my email or spread it around... i have a hotmail account for that!

HyperDonzi
09-11-2002, 01:03 PM
i have hotmail. it scans for viruses. this is starting to become a way of life. maybe one of these will actually contain a check for 1 million dollars. ooh, my junk mail is full. be back soon, looking for a million dollars....

Formula Jr
09-11-2002, 01:24 PM
Its pretty obvious that somebody went thru the site and mined the e-mails about two months ago.
There's not much anyone can do about it. One safeguard would be to include a particular character in the subject line that only folks from the Donzi net would use. Like Z or something. Then at least theres an extra margin of safety that the attachment is really a Pic or what ever.

harbormaster
09-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Formula, it is also possible that there are a bunch of members out there with our email addresses in their address book who do not have current antivirus definitions.

HyperDonzi
09-11-2002, 07:54 PM
or, you sign up for one thing, your email is sent out everywhere. someone could have gone through the registy or anywhere else.

Last Tango
09-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Yeah, a couple weeks ago I started getting a lot of phony e-mail from folks on this website. Folks I never e-mail or who never e-mail me. So I figured we got hit by the klez or something. Ran the Norton anti-virus scan and it showed clean. I never opened any of the e-mails (sorry DONZIGO if you actually tried to e-mail me) and did a disk clean up to rid the website clutter. No problems since.
Suggestions from several publications - if you are on a cable modem, get a Firewall!. If you are on a Dial-up modem and use Windows XP Home and use Norton Anti-virus you are about as safe as you can get. Worth $35 bucks a year to not have to replace your computer. Cable modems are easily hacked. Dial-up are almost impossible, unless you open infected e-mails. Particularly downloads. If I get an e-mail with no message and only a download I immediately delete it, even if it has a familiar logon name. Almost everybody who is legit has some sort of message as to why they sent the download, even if it is only a few words. The bad boys don't send salutations and explanations. Apparently they figure the tease in the e-mail subject line was enough to get you to download the crapola they are sending.
Be careful out there! Always wear protection!

Formula Jr
09-12-2002, 08:45 AM
Yes the dsl salesman do seem to over look the whole "window into your machine" aspect of their services when you sign up: One of the reasons I've never been too interested in it. Guys, if you do have broadband at home, everything on your harddrive is wide open to anyone in the world to look at. Actually, everything you type and look at can be mirrored and monitored.

I probably have about twelve e-mail accounts for which I can still remember the passwords too - and another twelve for which I've lost the passwords. Once and a great while I'll go over and look at one the older ones like my iwon account. 400 new messages, and every one of them is spam. It kind of makes you wonder sometimes about this technology. Huge expensive, disk packs, with micro-second seek times, lovingly attended to by a staff of IT professionals, spinning away, day after day - 24/7, state of the art redundancies, filling up with terabytes of meaningless machine generated sales pitches that no one will ever read. ....... Kafka would be proud... :D

Looped
09-12-2002, 12:02 PM
I get about 1 email a day via AOL from some unknown address with a couple short liners stating something like "this is a great picture" or something like that with a zip file attached to it. Every single one ends up being a virus so I just delete any emails that I do not know with a zip file in it. If you try to send a reply back to them I always get a message that says the reply cannot be sent to that account.

oldLenny
09-12-2002, 07:44 PM
It got me... :mad: today twice. Both my work laptop with about 2 years of data and my desktop, also at work (thank goodness it wasn't the home one that I am typing on, it has the NEW Norton stuff running in front and gets me HERE to this site, the only important one...).

So I took my laptop to "tech support" at work. A re-format is all they can do 'cuz they won't let it near our mainframe in Vancouver and Calgary with this suspect stuff going on, (even with multiple firewalls and a myriad of software) and the desktop is going to be re-formatted as well. I got both virus's running Outlook Express, not my Outlook program. (but I hate Outlook)

News to computer illiterate me, but Outlook Express defaults to "open" on the first message that is at the top of your in-box regardless of the attachments. I lost the laptop to "Klez" and the desktop to "Cys" even though I was in the process of just looking at the filename at the time. It took about 3 seconds.

I have never seen a computer rendered so helpless that it isn't even worth turning on. EVERYTHING on it no longer works. I learned an important lesson.

Fix the "preview" window if you are running Outlook Express, so that the first item in your inbox cannot be looked at unless you ask to look at it, and get the BEST Anti-virus software you can buy and say yes to the "Live Updates" when they pop up.

No one OPEN ANYTHING from leonard.green@telus.com.

highland@coastnet.com is fine...(still) and has the latest and greatest stuff.

I can't believe there are people out there that find this stuff amusing but there are a lot of things that have happened in the last year that don't make a whole lot of sense...

CnV & Family
09-13-2002, 08:04 AM
Lenny -Great advice about Outlook Express.

I see about 75+ virus infected emails a day. 99% Klez. I think reformatting the laptop is a bit drastic for Klez as there are tools available to easily fix it, but it does spread in many different ways.

...and a myriad of correct observations from you all.

I run AV on our email servers as well as all the desktops. I've been here almost 5 years and not a single infection thru *our* email (including the iloveyou and melissia viruses). We took a much stricter stance with desktop AV after _a_ user decided to get their own free email and introduced sircam to our network. Now, our remote locations are another beast altogether. I'm not even going down that road...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not boasting... we're just as vunerable as anyone else... one slip or lapse in my thought process or an overlooked task and our networks/servers/desktops are toast as well.

But to restate the answer to the original question, yes... we see a ton of these and by my account this particular virus seems to be the one that is having the longest duration in mass as evidenced by the increasing infected messages we stop/block.

-C

Fish boy
09-29-2002, 05:22 AM
Got Klez about 2 months ago 6 times in one weekend. Apparently it is self-replicating using outlook, so once one of my friends got it, it went to other friends who in turn sent it to me through self-replication again. I switched from outlook to incredimail(www.incredimail.com) since this virus, as well as a lot of others exploit vunerabilities in MS Outlook. FYI, more info on klez at the link below.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99367.htm

Fishboy

Formula Jr
10-01-2002, 05:50 AM
I kinda wonder at times why anyone still uses "Lookout Express." One of the first things I always do whenever I get a new machine is wipe it clear of all and every scrap of code written by Billy G. et al.
Its pretty amazing how effective this is in preventing viri. Script Kiddies don't really effect me at all, since I tend to crash the machines quite effectively on my own. :D