PDA

View Full Version : Pool Project 1/15/2004 update

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Here is a shot after just three days work.
I have learned a bunch already for anyone needing info on a project like this, there are quite a few things to do and not to do.
Pool is 41'x 17' (by 24' on the lazy L).
9 feet deep. Two person Spa seat and 8'Wide step entry.
So far so good for us.
MINUS one water meter cover, something about an 80,000lb cement truck that does not forgive.
Bryan
http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvellinstall.jpg

Scott Pearson
11-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Bryan,
Looks good...we dig them all the time. We work along with a good friend who does about 15 pools a year. Its pretty cool how it all goes together.

(NJ)Scott

Brad Lyon
11-17-2003, 09:08 PM
WOW, nice Bryan! But, forgive me, isn't it getting a little cold to go swimming? :confused: :confused:

Maybe you and Digger can hire the same sod guy next spring.....

Brad

MOP
11-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Where the hell are the Davits?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Scott P, I agree, really neat to see it come together. Thing is, you don't know what you really don't know until you learn from the crews, of course we feed them and treat them like gold. I have never made so much Ice Tea!

I told Nancy, never again, once Jessica graduates and our youngest goes to college in 8 years we will swim in the old people community pool! LOL

BRAD, we waited for winter so there would be no rush on the project, bottom texture tommorow, liner & water (39,000 gallons) Thursday, then she sits for 8 weeks while it settles. NO sod, power seed, water. My sprinkler guy now loves me!
More pictures tomorrow.
Bryan...

(looking forawrd to a 1 bedroom cottage someday)

Digger
11-18-2003, 05:10 AM
lookin good Bryan!!

boldts
11-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Looks great Bryan. Only thing I see missing is the ramp to back the ZX in for trial start-ups. Something about having that much water and no boat in it just doesn't seem right :confused: Good luck with the rest of the project. Keep the photos coming. Nothing like a picture for those of us learning and doing with-out.

harbormaster
11-18-2003, 09:49 AM
Here is my pool.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/nasapool2.jpg

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-18-2003, 03:23 PM
Day 4, walls and floor ready for the liner.
Lesson of the day was know the electrical code regarding a pool before you decide the new barn fridge needs power to keep beer cool.
Bryan
http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvellpool001.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvellpool002.jpg

anotherScott
11-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Pretty cool.......Criterion II seating for the spa!!!!! Good Luck with your project.

Scott

RedDog
11-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Bryan - looks like great progress. if you don't have a need for it, please ship your hole filler to Knoxville TN. I have a 40 x 20 hole I really would like to be rid of - hope you don't think the same soon frown

KMLFAMILY
11-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Bryan,
Looks great! I worked a few yrs. with my friends pool business."Pools by day, Mechanic by nite".It is laborous hot work.8 am till midnite became too long for me.
A few points of interest.

Make sure there are enough return lines and located correctly.Circulation is very important.

Go with the thicker wall foam versus the thinner.

Use the black or white plastic pipe versus the white vinyl.In this area the ants have eaten vinyl before.

To see how well the fit of the liner is. Look at the corners and ck. the seams on the bottom of the pool.They should be straight across and even.

The smart decision was waiting till fall.Groundwater is the big problem in spring.I see a pump in the background already.If they used a blind line under.Don"t totally bury it.Someday you may need it to replace the liner.Most can"t wait for the ground to settle either for the deck.Mistake !

The spots for most leaks are generally the main drain(poorly winterized)and the lights,wall fittings.
I don"t miss troweling those big boy"s.
You will enjoy it ! :cool:

BUIZILLA
11-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Yo Bryan, if i'da known you wanted one so bad, I would have sent ya mine... :D

J

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback, my arm was twisted on this project, but I am NOT complaining!
I just might still get that new boat. Which seat do I sit in to pretend I own a Criterion II? Left or Right.

KMLFamily; Thanks for the advice. We have 4 returns (2 in buddy seat), and a 29 mil thick linner, Salt pool, two big skimmers and of course a bottom drain. The pump you mentioned will be permanent for when it is needed. We went to 12 feet before water, set the rig in place and she is still pumping water, (under 32 TONS of gravel), good for this area though that we did not hit water sooner. All is good so far. She will be cut and capped once liner and water is in.

As far as winterizing and leaks, they warranty their process yearly for $150, which I will spend.

6 to 8 week settle for decks, no less. they say that will be fine, the longer the better.

I appreciate the feedback, maybe I am on the right track getting this done right. Biggest Co. in this area, about 200 pools a year!
PLEASE send all the info you can, not everyday a person does this project and most only do it once a lifetime so HELP is appreciated. Thanks.
Bryan

18" trenches suck when laying conduit by hand for the future! Tree root? Saw's All...

ToonaFish
11-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Bryan, cool pool! But I gotta ask the H'master what the heck his pool is for? Rocket testing at NASA?

anotherScott
11-20-2003, 08:38 AM
The only Criterion II I ever saw was a port driver......so go port:)
Man, I thought I had a big pool. Just replaced our liner after 14 years of service. We have a yellow lab that beats us to the pool everytime!! Too bad our season here is only 3months. Oh, one more thing.......you did budget another regrigerator into this project, right? :) :) :)

Scott

Voodoocanoe
11-20-2003, 09:32 AM
RedDog:
Bryan - looks like great progress. if you don't have a need for it, please ship your hole filler to Knoxville TN. I have a 40 x 20 hole I really would like to be rid of - hope you don't think the same soon :( I'm with you RedDog, I also have a 40X20 cement pond that came real close to becoming a putting green last summer.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-20-2003, 04:50 PM
AnotheScott; yes, we built a pool barn the day after Isabel struck, made Nancy keep her car out of the garage to keep my lumber safe from becoming missile hazards...
Wired the shed today in fact, it has a Side by Side fridge in it running as we speak. Got to keep that Ice Tea cold for the crew, and Diggers Coors Lite.

Voodoo, as I said, not my idea, but sure I will also enjoy the pool also. Hopefully that feeling will last for more than a few years for us.
Bryan

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvellbarnnn.jpg

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Well, liner is in and the hose is pumping!
1/2 the beer is gone in the refrigerator too.
What a week.

Thanks again for the advice here and in PM guys.
Bryan

(Listening to make sure the vacuum pump does not stop.)
(My SPRINKLER SYSTEM OP TEST-- FAILED) :(
Main line crushed somewhere... :(
FRENCH Drains, yes I have used one. eek!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvellfirstwater.jpg

KMLFAMILY
11-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Looking good Bryan.Sometimes we use to have to use 2 vacs to get the big ones to pull tight.When the water table was high it was crucial to having the water truck standing by for immediate fill.It looks like your all set now.Our crew would empty,clean,foam walls,re-surface bottom,install liner,fill within one tiresome day.
See if you can get a copy of the dimensions on the liner.Some pool companies won"t give them to you.It could help you in the future.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-21-2003, 08:43 PM
KML, it was a tiresome day here too for the crew, clean, smooth, foam, tape all corners, reseal with Portland Cement dry on any rough spots, liner in, water on, and finish all the plumbing to the skimmers and 5 returns (not 4). The second pump is still to be installed for the auto cleaner.
As for the homeowner, well just tired, to much coffee and then too many adult beverages and tired again.
Tommorow will be final liner check, fill to top.
We passed all of our inspections today, back fill Monday, then in January we will get the cement decks.
Thanks for the help.

DIGGER you have a Private Message........
Bryan

(sucks to drop a screw into 3 feet of water,
I WAS NOT the first to swim in my new pool! eek! )

RedDog
11-21-2003, 09:34 PM
(sucks to drop a screw into 3 feet of water,
I WAS NOT the first to swim in my new pool! eek! ) [/QB]I've dropped a screw or nail in as well - tape a mechanics magnet to one of your poles. Don't leave one in thinking you can retrieve when the water is warm in the Spring because in short ordrr it will corrode and stain your liner.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Pool full, backfilled, clean and system started, lots of salt to get her going. Thanks again for the advice guys. Two pictures from a few minutes ago.
Bryan

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvellnight1.jpg
--------------------------------------------------
http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvellnight2.jpg

BUIZILLA
11-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Bryan, probably a stupid question on my part... but... why salt?

J

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-25-2003, 08:06 PM
BUIZILLA, there are no stupid questions unless I ask them! LOL
We installed a salt (DE) system which produces it's own chlorine vice having to deal with it. Different filtration system all together.
It was their top of the line system, less maitenance, no chemicals to deal with. I am not real smart on it yet but will be soon.
Bryan

olemissalum
11-25-2003, 08:17 PM
Bryan, the good thing about the salt system you are using is that you will not be tempted after a long day on the water to back the Donzi in there and flush it that way :D :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-15-2004, 07:10 PM
8 weeks later, decks went in today.
Man, many lessons learned.
Bryan
http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvelldeck.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvelldeck1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvelldeck2.jpg

ToonaFish
01-15-2004, 08:19 PM
What, no cement handprints for posterity?

Looks fantastic, only needs a Donzi Flag and a Tiki Hut for perfection!

Bunches,

Celene 'wondering how many gallons of sweet tea and beer it took for completion?'

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Toona, your sooo funny, we hope to someday meet you at a Donzi event. AOTH 4 is firming up for me in DIGGERS boat, 1st mate duty, 1 boat one truck.

We thought of a concrete signature but I thought NOT!
We have a FRESH Donzi Flag to fly this winter.
Bryan

ToonaFish
01-16-2004, 04:33 AM
Big Fat Edit!

:D

Bunches,

Celene 'hmmh, wonder what must be cumbersome in the pool?'

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-16-2004, 08:03 AM
:) "Stiff pole" for the flag...
I edited that comment out this morning, thought it was too forward for the forum!
What time do you rise in the a.m. That was early!

You coming to KY?

Nancy just read the posts and laughed harder than I.
Bryan

ToonaFish
01-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Does anyone know if there is software that prevents posting before, oh, say, two or three cups of coffee in the morning? :rolleyes: I'm usually up around five, but leave the running part of the equation until the caffine has worked her magic.

I'll be in Cumberland with bells on! Find a way for Nancy to come too, please!

Bunches,

Celene 'parental controls, hmmh'

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-25-2004, 09:07 PM
OK, two months later she is almost done.... Final grade and sprinkler repairs are still left to be done.
Got to love young relatives with strong backs, $8 an hour for teenagers produce amazing work ethics.. 10 Yards of river rock this week for the back area, 4 more yards to go to bring it laser level.
Plan to build two wet bars and sitting areas by hand out of white cedar and cover them with river rock on mortar on big flat river stone walkways.
My back hurts!.......
Digger has been sick for a week..... but once he is well his bright mind will help in the final design. Thank goodness he has a DONZI wheel barrel.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-26-2004, 02:59 PM
The end is near, just found out top soil spreading will happen tomorrow.
Then we can repair the sprinkler system, put fence back in place.
It better not snow tonight, damn NorEaster......
More pictures soon.
Bryan